Odd Attacking Behavior

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maya loves to be brushed and when you stop brushing her, she will run up behind you and smack you in the back of the heel. That seems to have become a normal routine.
She normally runs after anyone that will pet her and pay attention to her since we do have 4 cats total. Tonight, I spent some time petting and talking to her, and as soon as I tried to walk away, she attacked my foot and ran after me to smack me in the back of my heel. She did this a total of 5 times, each time was after I had petted her and tried to leave.
Does anyone else have a cat that does this or have a clue as to why she is attacking me?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My beloved Pandi use to grab my arm and bite me if I stopped brushing her before she was satisfied, she loved being brushed! Maia will sometimes bite my hand lightly if I stop petting her as if to say "hey, keep going!".....
Silly cats!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a semi feral female cat that the neighbors across the street take care of who likes to come over for an extra meal and attention. I have to be careful walking away from her because she will come after me, jump on my leg and dig her claws it.
It's not meant to be aggressive at all as she's usually purring and doing her happy cat prance too... she's just saying "Hey! I didn't say you could go yet!".
I think that's sort of what Pandi and Maya may be telling you two, as well.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

...Tonight, I spent some time petting and talking to her, and as soon as I tried to walk away, she attacked my foot and ran after me to smack me in the back of my heel. She did this a total of 5 times, each time was after I had petted her and tried to leave.
(boldface mine)

I believe you have answered your own question.

By petting her you have rewarded her behavior. Why should she stop doing it when it works? If you do not like her doing this, then ignore her when she does it, and reward her when she does not do it.