Persians - How long do they live?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed lately with the passing of many RB persians that many have not lived as long as I expected for whatever reason. Our first persian, duchess, had just made it to 15 years before her kidneys failed completely. Our other persians are 15, 12, and 4. Is the life expectancy the same as any other cat or are they shortened due to the fact that they are more prone to illnesses genetically? Or does breed matter at all and just depend on each individual cat?

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sometimes wonder the same thing. I was thinking it's the individual cat. My Mom has a Persian named Squeeky and she's almost 10 years and a healthy as a horse where as I just lost one who was almost 3 years old.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on where the cat is from, whether its a breeder who has done research, the lines, etc.

Persians are common cats. Unfortunately there are a lot of backyard breeders looking to make a buck or two and just put two persians together without researching the backgrounds.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persian died this year and he was 10 years old. He had heart failure. I think it does depend a lot on the blood lines. Persians are one of the hardest breeds to work with and unfortunately also the most popular. Which leads to unknowledgable people jumping in to breed them.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cats bloodlines - we took in a 17yo persian who died just before or after her 21st birthday, I think that is unusal in persians though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I think it depends on the cats bloodlines - we took in a 17yo persian who died just before or after her 21st birthday, I think that is unusal in persians though.
That's amazing! Congrats on giving her a second chance at life!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought so too - she didn't look the best towards the end, so I didn't take any pics, she was thin and had lost a lot of fur, but she still had her tortitude!!

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
as previously mentioned, it depends on the lines and if the breeder did testing. There are persians that are being breed by byb, who do not do testing for pkd and other illnesses. It's a shame...since the tests are out there to produce healthy kitties.

Valerie

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 1 male persian is almost 13 hes healthy as can be and never had a sick day in his life...

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It deepends on bloodlines, and breeders, and all of those other factors as well. I big concern in my opinion too is breeders who are breeding PKD cats not testing them and not informing the owners..

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was one of my aunts favorite kind of animals...she's moved on to ragdolls now but....

Her cream colored one lived to 17 and her white one lived to 21, but it would have lived longer....sadly the neighbor's dog killed her when she was out on her cat tie. My aunt used to let both of her cats go out on the cat tie every day for 20 sum years and then that happened
Needless to say, her new cats don't go outside at all.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

big concern in my opinion too is breeders who are breeding PKD cats not testing them and not informing the owners..
I completely agree with you. What about the persian breeders who did the testing, AND know that their cats tested positive, but still continue to use them as breeders. I believe if they test positive, then they should not be used, but there are those still using them in their programs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its one thing to breed and not test, but its totally different to knowingly breed a cat that tested positive and not say anything or just not caring if the kittens lived or died!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vrgchs

I completely agree with you. What about the persian breeders who did the testing, AND know that their cats tested positive, but still continue to use them as breeders. I believe if they test positive, then they should not be used, but there are those still using them in their programs.
I agree fully. Very very fully. One girl we had planned on getting as a breeder tested postive for PKD, she is going to be spayed but still coming to us. So yes, I just I dont get it. not to mention the stress pregancy puts on their kidneys.

lushe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope my kitty lives a long life. We feed him only the cat's food. My other cat, sad story, my father gave him away, he should have been 10 now, I don't talk to my farther anymore...