Nutro Indoor Problem?

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just began feeding the cats a new dry food about a month ago, Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Adult formula. They split abut 2/3 cup in the morning, and they split a can of wet food at night (different brands and varieties). They were doing good on it when they first switched over (which we did slowly) and now everytime I clean the catbox it's kind of like diarhhea-y. I've read about how the indoor formula doesnt do well with certain cats. Should I give the regular Nutro a try, and if I do, do I do the slow switch like I did before?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What was the dry before the indoor???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix Indoor or Regular Formula .. We slowly transitioned them over, about 2-3 weeks. In the beginning it was fine. But the litterbox is disgusting every night when I clean it. I think it's been about a month and half to 2 months since we transitioned them, now that I think about it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
have you changed wet foods???

IMHO I like the reg natural choice better

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We changed wet foods, but a few months back. They were eating mostly Friskies and 9 Lives, but now they get a mix of Meow Mix, ProPlan, ProPlan Naturals, Nutro, Fancy Feast, and prob some more. But I didnt really notice it until a month or so into the Nutro dry. I might just change dry to see what happens and just keep them on regular. Should I change the food slowly like the first time?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah about 10 days should be okay...

also look at the cans ... some recipes may have changed...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help, hopefully this will be the cause of the problem and them being on the regular formula will work!

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This seems to be a recurring theme on here with the Nutro Indoor for some cats and their tummies. I gave Seamus Nutro Indoor and once a week he was vomiting. Switched him over to regular Nutro and no problems. Did about a week or two of transition, and that worked fine. I also do a half-can or pouch of wet at night. Since I had the problem I've noticed similar threads at least once or twice more, so hopefully the switch will work for you too!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The nutro indoor formula has soy in it which can be an allergen to some cats.

Why are you feeding them so many different varietys of food? That could also be the cause of the loose stools. It also makes it hard to tell what is causing the problem. I would suggest (if you are worried about a variety) to stick with the same brand, and variety within the brand, such as use a variety of the nutro wet foods, and also feed only 1 type of dry.

I like the nutro natural because it does not have artificial ingredients in it. I feed my kitten the nutro natural choice indoor kitten, thus far I have not had any problems.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

The nutro indoor formula has soy in it which can be an allergen to some cats.

Why are you feeding them so many different varietys of food? That could also be the cause of the loose stools. It also makes it hard to tell what is causing the problem. I would suggest (if you are worried about a variety) to stick with the same brand, and variety within the brand, such as use a variety of the nutro wet foods, and also feed only 1 type of dry.

I like the nutro natural because it does not have artificial ingredients in it. I feed my kitten the nutro natural choice indoor kitten, thus far I have not had any problems.
In most cases wet food can be rotated amoung brands ...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

If I feed them the same food every day, they get bored with it. Even if I rotate flavors within the brand, they get sick of it. I've fed them the same wet food for approximately a month to a month and a half. They were fed Friskies and 9Lives before, and even though I rotated flavors, they got bored with it fast and wouldnt eat their wet food.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine seem to like Nutro Max better than the Natural Choice line. I'm feeding the Adult Roasted Chicken (they stopped eating the senior formula after a while).

I also feed a rotation of canned foods and notice more problems with changing dry foods than wet.

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try the regular formula. On the indoor kitten formula, one of my kittens developed hive like bumps in her ears that turned into sores and she started sucking on her feet untill they became infected. She is most likely allergic to soy protein. I got her treated and switched her to the regular kitten formula and she hasn't had a problem since.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jencat

Try the regular formula. On the indoor kitten formula, one of my kittens developed hive like bumps in her ears that turned into sores and she started sucking on her feet untill they became infected. She is most likely allergic to soy protein. I got her treated and switched her to the regular kitten formula and she hasn't had a problem since.
I think I'm def switching. One of my cats has started biting on her back foot, and its becoming red. I just checked it and stills kind of red. I think I'm gonna buy a bag this weekend.

Question: I have an unopened bag of the Indoor Formula (large bag) and the cat kind of bit into one night when it was on the floor. Will Petsmart take that back? Didnt know if anyone would know or not.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

Question: I have an unopened bag of the Indoor Formula (large bag) and the cat kind of bit into one night when it was on the floor. Will Petsmart take that back? Didnt know if anyone would know or not.
I've returned partially used bags (we tried a bunch of Nutro formulas), so you can always take it in and ask. They probably will.