OMG! I Don't Believe It!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know, Geronimo, who is my little "demon/bully" cat of the bunch
, is constantly terrorizing the others - especially poor Gabriel. Gabriel "hides out" in the bedroom most of the time, and usually only comes out to eat or use the litterbox - or when Geronimo isn't around to bully him. This morning, while I was laying in bed trying to wake up, I notice Gabriel going into the bathroom; he's making a scratching sound, and then starts to meow in a weird way. So I get up to check on him thinking that something may be wrong, and I walk in to see him....

Squatting on the toilet and peeing!

I couldn't believe it!
I've heard of toilet-training cats before, but I've never even tried to teach any of mine to do so!
I suppose he's just getting fed up w/ Geronimo pestering him all the time, so he decided to use the toilet instead of trying to navigate around Geronimo to get to the litterbox.

But HOW did he know to use the toilet, and that that's what it's for, when I never even trained him to do so??

Well, I've had my Halloween "shock" for the day!

~KK~

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoa! Thats crazy how you found your cat peeing on the toilet! Wonder how he learned that...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Good for him! If he's seen humans use the toilet (don't all cats like to go to the bathroom with you?), he probably figured it was an "ok" place to go. Or maybe he just smelled that it was a "litter box".

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say, that's one smart cat!
Tiger likes to watch and be with anyone who's on the toilet so after reading this, ti won't surprise me if he starts using it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Good for him! If he's seen humans use the toilet (don't all cats like to go to the bathroom with you?), he probably figured it was an "ok" place to go. Or maybe he just smelled that it was a "litter box".
I think they are smart enough to associate a toilet with a litter box... well, maybe not the ones who drink out of it

I know anytime we use the bathroom, Riley jumps in his litter box at the same time. That's a bit more "togetherness" than I need
but it does illustrate that he understands. Maybe he'll start using the toilet one of these days! I just hope he doesn't leave the seat up

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is definately the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

This morning, while I was laying in bed trying to wake up, I notice Gabriel going into the bathroom; he's making a scratching sound, and then starts to meow in a weird way. So I get up to check on him thinking that something may be wrong, and I walk in to see him....
Kitties are so smart!
But you might want to keep an eye him....the fact that he was crying before he went would make me nervous about him *maybe* having an UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(don't all cats like to go to the bathroom with you?)
Yeah - ain't it the truth!
Like we can't figure it out on our own.

Gabriel has always been an extremely intelligent cat (my s/o calls him "the wise old man"), but I never thought I'd see him using the toilet!
He's the same cat who figured out how to get his mice toys out of a closed drawer that I used to keep them in: he'd pull open the cupboard door that was underneath the drawer where the mice were, and slip his foot up into the top of the drawer and pull them out!
I have pics of him doing it: no one ever believes me when I tell them, so I have to show the "evidence".

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh I wish I could get all 8 of mine to use it, look at the money we could save
I wouldn't mind if all of mine used it, either!
Just think of the money you'd save on litter - not to mention the fact that you wouldn't have to clean it anymore!!

Maybe Gabriel will teach the others!
With the exception of Geronimo, that is..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

But you might want to keep an eye him....the fact that he was crying before he went would make me nervous about him *maybe* having an UTI.
I thought of that too, but I really don't think he was "crying" b/c of a UTI.
I think he was just worried that he was going where he thought he shouldn't be going, and was afraid I might get mad at him or something. NO WAY! I PRAISED him for using the toilet, and told him he could use it anytime he wanted to!!
I even gave him a special treat: some of his catnip that he loves so well!
He deserved it!

But I will keep an eye on him, just to make sure he doesn't have a UTI.

~KK~

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Maybe Gabriel will teach the others!
With the exception of Geronimo, that is..

~KK~
He might. I have a friend who has had "toilet-trained" cats for 27 years. She adopted an adult cat way back in 1980, and he would occasionally use the toilet instead of the litter box. She encouraged him to do so by transferring his feces from the litter box to the toilet, and soon he was just using the toilet. She adopted two young cats a year or two after him, and they learned to use the toilet by "copycatting" her alpha cat. Oddly enough, that has become the "culture" in her household. The kittens/newcomers see the older cats using the toilet, and follow suit.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He might. I have a friend who has had "toilet-trained" cats for 27 years. She adopted an adult cat way back in 1980, and he would occasionally use the toilet instead of the litter box. She encouraged him to do so by transferring his feces from the litter box to the toilet, and soon he was just using the toilet. She adopted two young cats a year or two after him, and they learned to use the toilet by "copycatting" her alpha cat. Oddly enough, that has become the "culture" in her household. The kittens/newcomers see the older cats using the toilet, and follow suit.
Well, I suppose anything is possible!
After Gabriel used the toilet, Geronimo was sniffing around in it, and looking as if HE was considering doing the same thing, too!
The reason I first stated that Gabriel wouldn't be willing to teach Geronimo is b/c he hates him so! But who can blame the poor guy? He's always terrorizing Gabriel!

I'd LOVE it if I could teach the others to go in the toilet, too! My back is getting so bad it's getting harder all the time to try and scoop out the litterbox!

Here I've been cussing out my so/ thinking it was HIM not flushing the toilet again, when it's probably been Gabriel all along!

~KK~

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I think they are smart enough to associate a toilet with a litter box... well, maybe not the ones who drink out of it

I know anytime we use the bathroom, Riley jumps in his litter box at the same time. That's a bit more "togetherness" than I need
but it does illustrate that he understands. Maybe he'll start using the toilet one of these days! I just hope he doesn't leave the seat up
and here i thought my cats where the only ones who wanted in the litter box the same time i do..

Great story and one smart cat