Ugh! New Cat has Ringworm

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently purchased a male Himalayan for breeding purposes. Upon getting him I discovered he has Ringworm which I am in the process of treating. Does anyone know if after giving the oral medication for ringworm the tom can no longer breed? I am trying to get that info but all they say is that it could cause birth defects does anyone know if this is permanent or only while taking the drugs? He is a wonderful guy and so lovable well worth the money to get him fixed up but I think if he can't breed anymore the guy who sold him to me should step up to the plate and reimburse me!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm - never heard of ringworm meds causing breeding problems myself...however, I don't allow my cats to mate until at least 4 weeks after any sort of meds, with a few exceptions like Baytril

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am like Abymummy. I would wait about 3-4 weeks after he is off of all meds before using him for breeding. And I would make sure the ringworm was completely gone. Luckily (knock on wood) I have never had to deal with ringworm, but with that also, I would wait a few weeks after you think it is gone before letting him mix with your other cats. Why take a chance. I would also contact the breeder you bought him from and make him aware of the fact the cat you got from him came to you with ringowrm.

Valerie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of guarentee was written in the contract? The breeder should have had something about the cat being healthy and free of any contagious disease. Did you get the cat checked by your vet within 2-3 days of getting him? If so, can the vet verify the date of ringworm?

I'd contact this breeder anyway and tell her the cat has ringworm and you want your money back - or return the cat to them.

Any cat I bought from a breeder was healthy when it came in my house. I have no idea if ringworm would affect future breeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in negotiations with the breeder right now about where we go from here. At first he denied he could even have it, but after giving him my vets name (I took him to the next day after getting the cat) he was a little more receptive. When I got Vlad he was heavily matted and when I started to get the mats out that is when I discovered the ringworm. I know I shouldn't have taken him after seeing how badly matted he was but I have a soft spot for the underdog or cat and realized that he was put in a room only to service this guys females, I believe all animals should be pets so took him to give him a better home. Hopefully the medication works well and he can be a pet again soon I have to keep him separate for a while longer. Poor guy he is so lonely.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG, please give your baby a hug from me right now! I hate to see a lonely furbaby.

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hug's are a little hard right now, I have to handle him with gloves. I broke out as well and have over 30 spots on myself. I was brushing him and trying to remove the scaley stuff not realizing what it was. I took the oral medication as well as the cream and am on the mend, but I feel really sorry for him. He must live in a room by himself for probably a month. He cries and cried for attention...it is heart breaking but what else can I do.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... Could you go buy some paper scrubs and put them on while you handle him? That way he could have the attention and you wouldn't be reinfected with the ringworm.

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a thought. I usually go in and give him some loving just before I change for bed, but I use rubber gloves and shower and change (always washing my clothes) Poor guy. And they tell me it could be a month before he can come out. It breaks my heart.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you could buy a large box of the disposible plastic gloves (surgical gloves). I remember getting them when pregnant to clean the litter pan. Worked well

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guess what. The second cat has broken out with ringworm. Here we go again. She only has 2 spots on the back of her ear. I was shampooing my other cats in Lyme sulphur dips but was afraid to get it too close to there eyes so I guess I wasn't getting their head properly. I'm running out of places to quarantine these cats and am sure tired of bleaching everything. UGH!

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless you have sterilized everything, most likely all of your cats will get it. Once ringworm is in the house it's difficult to get rid of. Bleach everything you can reach. Scrub the carpet with a steam carpet scrubber with very hot water with the cleaning solution for the steamer. Let dry and scrub again. Depending of the color carpet you can put a weak bleach solution in the cleaner. If the isolation room was a bedroom, strip the bed, washing all the linens. Steam the mattress tops and sides and box springs, remembering the cat was probably underneath the beds, dressers etc. Clean the baseboard with a solution of bleach water and the walls up about 12 inches above the floor. Wipe down the furniture.

After vacuuming make sure you also wipe down the vacuum cleaner with bleach before you take it to other parts of your house. Discard the vacuum bag right away outside in a sealed trash bag. Bleach the bottom of the steam cleaner as well when you are done. Make sure you clean your feet – shoes – socks – slippers – whatever you were wearing. When you are done put the clothes you were wearing in the wash.

All cat items should be bleached thoroughly in hot water. This includes feeding bowls (use metal if you can); litter pans and cat beds. Dispose of any cat toys that cannot be bleached.

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been bleaching everything in sight. I was also told that I will need to continue until the 14 day gestation period is over. So that means another 10 days since the last cat broke out. I have one cat in a bathroom that we aren't using and the other one in a 2nd bedroom. Hopefully the others don't get it because I am running out of rooms to quarantine them in. What a nightmare this has been.

kittykittysick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, my perisan cat i just bought has ringworm too, and he is so nasty looking, no hair on his ears, he's got a huge scabby spot on his tail, and is constantly itching. he needs to go on oral meds for the next 6 weeks, but i live in a condo, and there really isnt many places to quarentine him! i guess in the bedroom, since he doenst go on the bed.... oh my gosh im so upset, considering i have contracted it too. hopefully he will clear on the medication and nizerol baths....

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be between 8-12 weeks. Even if a cat no longer shows legions they can still test positive. Woods Lamps are practically useless for detecting ringworm!! Only cultures will show when a cat is no longer positive for it.

When a positive cat with lesions is on oral meds for ringworm, the oral meds should be continued for 2 weeks past ALL lesions AND when 2 negative cultures have been received at 2 week intervals.

I didn't think ringworm was so common in colder climates. Were both of these Persians bought from breeders in Canada? It seems too much of a coincidence. They didn't happen to come from the same breeder?

Obviously these breeders are not too ethical if they're selling a cat with ringworm. They never should have given you these cats until they were 100% cured. And I have to wonder how their cats contracted it if they are indoor only.

I would be insisting that they pay for all medical bills, not only for your cats but for yourselves as well. An ethical breeder would never have allowed those cats to leave their cattery knowing full well what would happen.

kittykittysick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not only did my cat have ringworm, but coccidia (parasites) as well as a bacterial infection....... not impressed.

kittykittysick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fuzzmom, the original posting was for a himylayan, and mine is a persian, must be two separate breeders.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittykittysick

Fuzzmom, the original posting was for a himylayan, and mine is a persian, must be two separate breeders.
Oops, thought both were the same type cat. Still, there are breeders who are into more than one breed. Might want to check to see if the cats came from the same area.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittykittysick

Normally the same breeder will have both himmi and persian cats.
Because it's the same breed but himmi cats are pointed and persians are not.
Mommy cat can have both himmi and persian kittens in the same litter. When buying your kitten inspect the kitten to make sure it has no obvious signs of illness. I have one himmi and one persian and they both had no ringworm or parasites of any kind.