TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › my cat is very noisy at night all of a sudden!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my cat is very noisy at night all of a sudden!

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
guys i need your help! up til about a couple of days ago, my 4 1/2 month old kitten was always quiet in my room at night when i slept. occasionally she would play like crazy in the wee hours of the morning but that was it. then sometimes when i would leave her in my room to go elsewhere in the house she would meow at the door to get someone to "rescue" her. then a couple of days ago, she started to meow constantly at night when i fall asleep! the other day it started at 430am until 730am and last night i fell asleep watching tv at around 10pm then at 1130 i was awakened by her constant meowing! she wont stop! ill tell her to shush and she will for about 5 seconds then go at it again! nothing's changed with her diet and her environment and she seems perfectly healthy and fine. when i play with her or when she's in an active environment she's quiet and playful but when im about to sleep and the lights are off she begins wailing and screaming! please give me some advice coz i havent been getting any sleep for the past couple of days and im exhausted! and im frustrated coz i dont know whats bothering her! help!
post #2 of 11
Try giving kitty a good play session an hour or so before you go to bed with toys on strings or other toys you can throw and get kitty to chase. This will help tire her out. I started doing this with my baby as I'm winding down, it helps both of us relax and get ready for sleep.

Could she be hungry? My kitten gets a little crazy with the meowing and running around if I forget to feed her right at her usual times. I have a cat gate keeping her out of the kitchen that she'll try to start climbing as little as 15 minutes after her usual feeding time lol.. I swear she's going to do what this cat does to me one of these days... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwqpHsMExg

Cats are, by nature, nocturnal. It may take some time to adjust her sleep schedule, if it adjusts entirely at all.
post #3 of 11
Giving her a good play session, then her food before bed should help.

My three are 3,6 & 9 months and all sleep well at night, everynight before bed I play with a few different toys to make them run around then they eat and sleep.

ETA: pretty much the same as cazlee said, I was typing when she replied
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
thanks for the replies guys! the thing is, i do play with her and tire her out every night! she always ends up panting and catching her breath after we play. i do this so she wont be so active at night. the problem recently is, when she wakes up from her midnight nap, she starts the meowing! she's definitely not hungry coz at times, after she's done cleaning herself she starts with the meowing. could she be in heat? i've had her for a little under 3 months now and i'd like to think i know her personality already. i've been reading through TCS since i got her and i'd like to think i've done all i can to make her a well-balanced cat. i feed her well, i dont punish her (up until i put her in my bathroom so i can get some sleep), and she's had her shots. last night, she was meowing loudly again and i just tried ignoring it. she got up to the window andstopped meowing. after awhile, she got off and started again. then she went to another window and stopped but started again soon after she got off! im totally confused!
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinger View Post
thanks for the replies guys! the thing is, i do play with her and tire her out every night! she always ends up panting and catching her breath after we play. i do this so she wont be so active at night. the problem recently is, when she wakes up from her midnight nap, she starts the meowing! she's definitely not hungry coz at times, after she's done cleaning herself she starts with the meowing. could she be in heat? i've had her for a little under 3 months now and i'd like to think i know her personality already. i've been reading through TCS since i got her and i'd like to think i've done all i can to make her a well-balanced cat. i feed her well, i dont punish her (up until i put her in my bathroom so i can get some sleep), and she's had her shots. last night, she was meowing loudly again and i just tried ignoring it. she got up to the window andstopped meowing. after awhile, she got off and started again. then she went to another window and stopped but started again soon after she got off! im totally confused!

She could very well be in heat. I've heard of cats going into heat as early as 4 months, though never witnessed it personally. From the going to the windows and meowing standpoint, it's somewhat, if not very likely that she's in heat. Scratch scratch on her back at the base of her tail and see how she reacts. If she goes torso down, butt up I'd think she's probably in heat.

After she chills, if she is in heat, take her into the vet and get her spayed.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazlee View Post
Scratch scratch on her back at the base of her tail and see how she reacts. If she goes torso down, butt up I'd think she's probably in heat.
That isn't necessarily a female in heat behavior. I have a big neutered male that is quite obsessed with being scratched there, to the point of asking anyone that comes in our home to do it... he'll also lean so much he'll tip forward.
So some cats just really really like to be scratched.

Age and sudden behavior change would suggest a heat though. Best spay her soon before she attempts to sneak outside.
post #7 of 11
Hey, it could be worse.

My kitten was totally

MOM, MOM, HEY MOM, LOOK MOM, MOM HEY, LOOK AT ME MOM, MOM LOOK, MOM, MOM, MOM, YOU'RE NOT LOOKING MOM, MOM LOOK, MOM HEY, HEY MOM ....

"WHAT?!"

"I discovered my feetz."

For HOURS last night. By the time she finally settled down, she kept jumping up on my pillow and licking the back of my neck every time I would fall asleep.

I am so brain fried. I want her to grow out of this because I'm exhausted but at the same time it's diabetically cute.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazlee View Post
Hey, it could be worse.

My kitten was totally

MOM, MOM, HEY MOM, LOOK MOM, MOM HEY, LOOK AT ME MOM, MOM LOOK, MOM, MOM, MOM, YOU'RE NOT LOOKING MOM, MOM LOOK, MOM HEY, HEY MOM ....

"WHAT?!"

"I discovered my feetz."

For HOURS last night. By the time she finally settled down, she kept jumping up on my pillow and licking the back of my neck every time I would fall asleep.

I am so brain fried. I want her to grow out of this because I'm exhausted but at the same time it's diabetically cute.
.........
post #9 of 11
OMG!!!


welcome to my world...
My kittens are about 4 1/2 mnths also... they will be spayed and nuetered in a couple weeks, I hope it helps calm them down!

They wake me up at least 5 times a night/morning with...
Berach, laying on my pillow and "gradually" pushing my head off to make more room for himself,
Chloe, laying on my neck and purring like a maniac,
both of them playing WWF on my face, they actually climb on my head and jump off to "body slam" one another,
and meowing in my face and "making bread" on my chest or chewing/attacking my necklace.
then when I finally think they're done, they wake me up anywhere from 4:30 to 6 am for thier morning feeding!!!



yes kitties... what can I do for you now kitties...?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by saya View Post
OMG!!!


welcome to my world...
My kittens are about 4 1/2 mnths also... they will be spayed and nuetered in a couple weeks, I hope it helps calm them down!

They wake me up at least 5 times a night/morning with...
Berach, laying on my pillow and "gradually" pushing my head off to make more room for himself,
Chloe, laying on my neck and purring like a maniac,
both of them playing WWF on my face, they actually climb on my head and jump off to "body slam" one another,
and meowing in my face and "making bread" on my chest or chewing/attacking my necklace.
then when I finally think they're done, they wake me up anywhere from 4:30 to 6 am for thier morning feeding!!!



yes kitties... what can I do for you now kitties...?


That's what Peanut does to me, oh my god. All of the above that can be accomplished by one kitten. I flopped my head down right on her last night without realizing it, and boy was she mad!! Hey, you stole my pillow, not the other way around!
post #11 of 11
Neely is about 4 yrs. old and she still gets the night crazies. I have tried playing with her before bed but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Within minutes of us going to sleep she starts meowing followed by jumping up at the door. Even when she does finally fall back to sleep it starts up again within an hour. If she poops it really gets her going. DH is a light sleeper and says he can't take much more. I wish there was an easy answer to this problem but I've resigned myself to the fact that Neely will not settle down at night no matter what we try.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › my cat is very noisy at night all of a sudden!