New Kitten Sounds Stuffy

kitty kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never owned cats before so this is all very new to me. I have a cat who has adopted my family and she just had 2 kittens who are about 8 days old and today I noticed that one of the kittens is having a hard time breathing. It sounds like it has a cold. Is there anything I can do or let it take it's course and I can stop worrying?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I would consult with a vet first thing in the morning.
Agree, please at least call a vet and see what they say about bringing the kitten in.

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aarathi

All kittens are like this.Dont worry
?????

Phone the vet and ask what to do. That's not normal at all. At that age when a kitty has trouble breathing it could mean a cold, it could mean that milk has gotten into the lungs and this might cause pneumonia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talk with Vet this A.M. and they said Upper Resp. infection. Putting kitty on antibiotic. Hope everything will be fine. I'll keep everyone posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry to let everyone know that the kitty that was sick has passed on. I just got back from the vet with the medicine and it was not breathing normally at all. A few minutes later it just stopped. The mother cat has now taken the other kitten away from us also. I feel like I just lost part of my family. The second kitten seemed to be fine, but I guess with the loss of the one kitten maybe the mom did not feel so safe here anymore.? She was a stray cat who sorta adopted our family, I'm guessing that she took them back in the field where she came from. Sorry for babbling on I'm just very sad and do not understand why she took the other kitten.

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom cats are very possessive, maybe she thought she wasn't safe with you? I really don't know... Hopefully the second kitten will do well. Don't be sad you did what you thought was better, someone else might have just walked away...