How much does he comprehend?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Ok this is kind of a different question - just a matter of my mind having too much free time to think haha... also, really not sure what forum this belongs in, so please move if necessary

I know our pets are/can be quite intellegent: learning tricks, remembering places and people, etc... I'm just curious about how they might connect viewing/experiencing the same place from different perspectives... for example: my bedroom windows look out over the back yard, as do dining room windows and the kitchen sliding door and Oliver is often let outside on his harness/leash in the backyard... so my question is does he realize that the back yard is the same place he sees from my bedroom, then from the kitchen, then the place he's let out to?

Does that make sense? I don't know how to really clearly explain it, haha... but like humans get that the back yard is one place that doesn't move but can be seen from many different places - does Oliver get that, or does he think each view is a different place? I mean, I'm not even sure if this can be determined somehow haha... definitely not telling Ian about this one - his neuroscience books explain all these weird experiments that used to be performed on various animals, including cats, back when it wasn't really seen as inhumane, haha

Anyway, guess I'm more asking what your thoughts/opinions are... unless someone happens to know of some scientific evidence on the topic

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they may understand that it's the same place, but on the other hand I don't think they think about it - don't ponder such things necessarily - just accept what's in front of their noses at any given time. They must understand at some level, because even when startled and moving very fast, they're likely to head to a familiar safe place vs a random one. I think animals are purposely spared (except maybe when they dream) from too much 'philosophizing' as they need to stay focused and clear headed for safety, and if they were caught up in fantasizing, whether about real things or not, wouldn't be able to respond so fast when necessary. But then that's just what I believe :-).

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Animals like cats are territorial, so it's safe to assume he knows his territory and that the backyard is part of it, I'm sure he doesn't think about his pretty view of the yard from the window, but he knows its his

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People often undermine the intellegence of animals. (not you for having this thought
)

I say yes, they understand.
They are very clever animals, and if they had no perspective, they wouldn't jump from huge heights and land safely

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

... for example: my bedroom windows look out over the back yard, as do dining room windows and the kitchen sliding door and Oliver is often let outside on his harness/leash in the backyard... so my question is does he realize that the back yard is the same place he sees from my bedroom, then from the kitchen, then the place he's let out to?
My Mom has windows on three sides of her third-floor apartment. I have observed three of her cats (at various times - she did not own them at the same time) see a person moving outside, and "follow" the person by going to the correct windows in sequence.

That said, is there any way to know that the cats understand and reflect on the concept of continuity despite different windows - or is the behavior just learned through trial-and-error? Although research is underway in mapping what portions of a cat's brain are active during various behaviors, and what those portions of brain are, functionally (the recent research proving that cats dream, for example), I don't think it is far enough advanced to provide proof one way or the other.

Most people prefer to anthropomorphize their pets. It makes it easier to talk to them

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a rooftop garden that I take Maia out on sometimes and she has a window perch that over looks it, she definitely knows! Maia knows when it is me coming into the building downstairs (its an apartment), as soon as she hears my footsteps she "happy meows"!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are really interesting questions!! I think my take on it would be about the same as Larke's.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that cats are more scent-oriented than sight-oriented. So I think it makes sense that if the window is open and they can smell the backyard, then once they're in the back yard and encounter the same scents they conceive of it being the same place. Or least a familiar place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Seems pretty unanimous so far that they get it
I don't doubt that he's smart I just know that different species' brains are at different levels of, I guess "advancement" is the right word... anyway was just a curiosity - more opinions/insights welcome!

And Oliver, as well as my black lab, definitely dreams! He sometimes even like chirps/moans while his whiskers, paws and tail move in his sleep... it's so cute! He also knows simple sign language - I could be anywhere in the house and sign "food" and he'll run to my closet where his wet food is kept