Advice please? About getting another Persian

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion on this. I love Persians. I've had a total of 5 so far in my life. With the passing of Ramsey on Saturday, I'm unsure if I want another.

I emailed the breeder we got Rams from to let her know of his passing. She has a female that I adore and who adored me when we picked Rams up. She just emailed me back to let me know she's sorry about Rams' passing and wanted to know if I want this cat. She's an adult, unspayed, and unbreedable but adorable as all get out. I'd love to have her but am afraid to get another Persian. Of the 5 I've been blessed with, only 2 are now alive.

I'm going back and forth on getting her or not. I know the decision (sp) is mine alone but was wanting to hear other opions.

Thanks,
Chrissy

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a persian- why not consider a persian from a shelter or rescue? I work at a shelter and you'd be suprised how many purebreeds we get on a regular basis- persians included. You'd really be saving a life!
Good luck whatever you decide.

(how long did your RB persians live if you don't mind me asking? persians are more genetically prone to certain illnesses than some other breeds.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rams was about 3 years, Tink was about 9 years and Psycho was about 6 years. The 2 still living are (honey) 7 years and (tubby) 8 years.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

Rams was about 3 years, Tink was about 9 years and Psycho was about 6 years. The 2 still living are (honey) 7 years and (tubby) 8 years.
I'm soo sorry that some of your sweet babies passed. Do you know if they had any health conditions at the time? Renal failure is not unheard of in persians- but it really just depends on the individual cat. That being said though- just because you lost some of your sweet babies, does not mean that any you adopt in the future won't enjoy a long, lovely life with you!
Are all of your kitties from the same breeder?

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tink, Rams, and Honey are from the same breeder. Tubby and Psycho are half sibilings from the same breeder but that one was not the breeder of Tink, Rams, and Honey. LOL I hope that makes sence.

We are in the dark as to what happend with Ramsey. As for Tink and Psycho we had something go through the clan and they passed together about 4 years ago. They were just home from a long hospitalization and we were warned that they weren't responding well to the antibiotics. It was either let them go at the vets or have them pass at home so we brought them home.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tink, Rams, and Honey are from the same breeder. Tubby and Psycho are half sibilings from the same breeder but that one was not the breeder of Tink, Rams, and Honey. LOL I hope that makes sence.

We are in the dark as to what happend with Ramsey. As for Tink and Psycho we had something go through the clan and they passed together about 4 years ago. They were just home from a long hospitalization and we were warned that they weren't responding well to the antibiotics. It was either let them go at the vets or have them pass at home so we brought them home.
Yes, it makes sense.
I am soo sorry about your loss- it must have been really hard to loose 3 of your furbabies in that short span of time

Have you considered looking into some of the rescues in your area or trying petfinder.com? There are many lovely kitties out there that would LOVE a wonderful forever home like yours!

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. It was bad to lose both of them at the same time and worse with Rams since that was just Saturday.

I'm keeping an eye on petfinder to see if any kitty clicks. Our freecycle has an off-shoot that's, basically, a free petcycle. I know how that sounds but it's not that bad. I've been trying to help people there find homes for their pets and keeping an eye out for a kitty that clicks. I'm just up in the air about this kitty. LOL I wanted her back when we got Ramsey but she wasn't "available". Now she is and I just don't know. We have room in house and in heart for more then 1 which is good.

Ah well. It's good to have other options shown to me and to talk this out. I'm to call her on Friday about this kitty.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She's an adult, unspayed, and unbreedable
I would be asking why she's an unspayed adult if she's 'unbreedable'

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

that is a very good question. hopefully the breeder will be responsible and have her spayed asap. i am a firm believer in spay/neuter- we have thousands upon thousands of animals pts every day in this country simply because people are not responsible and do not have their pet altared. hopefully the breeder, seeing that the kitty is "unbreedable" for whatever reasons- will have her altared before placing her in a new home. It is really to the kitty's best benifit- it will reduce the overflow of kittens in our shelters, reduce her odds of reproductive cancers/etc, and can lengthen her lifespan

on that same note, it's worth mentioning that there are countless purebreeds in shelters and rescues across the world- many with papers/etc.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMHO, there is alway room for 1 more Persian. I have 10 with a litter on the way. (I breed them) I can never get enough of their love and cuddling.

You need to follow your heart and do what it tells you. Look for that special one that "speaks" to you and is calling you.

Valerie

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

When she goes into labor she never pushes. The breeder has to pull the kittens out as the cat just lays there. She bred this cat a few times with the hope of the cat doing what she should and this last time, she still just layed there so the breeder is ready to let her go. Usually when she lets a cat go it's with the understanding that you get it fixed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you afraid of getting another persian?

If you have experience with them and love them (grooming, etc.) then I see no reason not to adopt this girl. Will the breeder spay her or will you have it done?

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be getting her spayed which isn't a problem.Not really afraid to own another persian as I love the breed. Not real sure how to explain how I feel. With Rams passing I just couldn't think of having to face the loss of another persian when the time comes. All my kits are special but they are a little more so (like my bottle babies).

I probably sound like an oddball. LOL I've been thinking that what I'll do is set up a "come see the kitty" appointment with the breeder and see if I still feel the way I did a few years ago when I first met her.

ETA: I've been in contact with her through email and she just wrote and told me she's giving up her whole cattery as her neice is "dumping" her 2 kids on the breeder and she can't raise 2 kids and take care of the cattery at the same time. She also offered me another kitty, already spayed, named Mini Me. She's an exotic shorthair. Oy!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds tempting, how many kitties do you have? Persians, as most pure breeds, tend to have shorter life span, but I believe the connection with each one, no matter what breed, is so hard to loose when they leave us!

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have 14 indoor kitties right now. All of them are pretty old with about 5 young ones. I talked to her today and she asked me if I would like to take over her cattery. I posted about it and some questions I have in The Breeders Corner if someone would like to help me out. LOL

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an udate:

We adopted the one kitty. Her name is Katie. She's white with black and tan splotches. Not sure what her coloring is called. She's an absolute doll! Loves Mike more then me, though. I'll get pics of her when I can get the camera again.

Also going to be getting her vetted before the week is out. Her nails grow fast and the breeder said she should be declawed. Not going to do the declawing but am having the vet take a look at her feet.