Question on Nutro

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have moved my cats to an all moist diet (no more dry food for them). Through searching and such, I have decided to put them on Nutro Natural care canned. Looking at the feeding guidelines it seems that each cat would need to eat two cans a day thus being eight cans a day being consumed!
That is a lot of cat food and not to mention expense! Does this seem right? I want my cats to have some good nutrition and am willing to give them that if that is what it takes. I am open to other suggestions of other canned foods too. I need one high in protein and low carbs. because of my diabetic cat.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do your kitties weigh? The guidelines on the cans are just guidelines and often need to be adjusted for each cat's needs. Odo, who is heavy at 12 pounds, doesn't lose weight when fed one can per day with a tiny bit of dry food. Zek (my newbie) also gets a can (he's 10.5 pounds), and then more dry food since he won't eat enough canned to keep his weight up. I feed both half a can in the morning and half a can at night--so I go through 2 cans per day.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats, including my potentially diabetic boy, are eating grain free Wellness and Natural Balance. Each eats about one 5.5-6.0oz can per day. They are maintaining their weight on that amount of food. The smallest cat is just over 11lbs and the largest is 13.6lbs.

I agree that some of the feeding guidelines seem odd.
If I fed the amounts that Wellness and Natural Balance suggest all my cats would be fat. When I switched them to an all wet diet I used this web site to help estimate the correct amount to feed. Although the site is titled "Obesity in Cats..." it is really a good guide to adjusting portions fed and providing proper nutrition. Here's the link.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was wondering about that. It suggests a can per day per 7 pounds of cat. Tosh weighs about 12 pounds but is a good weight. Oreo is the tub at 16 lbs and needs to lose weight. Snickers is 10 lbs and perfect weight. Jazz is about 9 lbs and is perfect. So I guess going by Oreo needing to lose weight and the others being good they would be fine with a can a day each then?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start with a can per day and adjust if needed. Do you have a scale at home so you can monitor their weights?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I would start with a can per day and adjust if needed. Do you have a scale at home so you can monitor their weights?
Ditto

and GENERAL feeding guideline ...

1/2 ounce to 1 ounce per lb per day... ie 12 lb kitty 6oz -12 oz a day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Thank you all for your advice. I do have a scale at home so I will do that. I actually ended up getting Wellness canned. Snickers and Tosh adore it, Oreo ate a little but Jazz very much thinks that the only "food group" there is is dry food.
So going to have to work on him actually eating moist. Thanks again , everyone!