Flat Dishes

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is having a hard time eating her wet food out of the dishes I have. They are stainless steel ones and she does better with flat dishes. The PetSmart by my house has a flat dish but it's plastic, which I want to avoid because Matilda is already having issues with kitty acne. The only ceramic flat dishes I've found are at Target (and they are cute!) but they are made in China and I'm worried that the paint used might have lead in it. (My vet thinks this is worrisome too). I haven't found a nice flat stainless dish anywhere.

Does anyone have this dish? They come in a few colors (pink, green, blue) and have cute sayings on them. I couldn't find a picture on Target's website.

Am I being too worrisome about the possibility of lead paint?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not look for a heavy weight ceramic dish intended for people?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Why not look for a heavy weight ceramic dish intended for people?
that's what i use for mine. i buy the 'salad plate' size.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corelle is made in the USA. I use a lot of Corelle dessert bowls for my boys. I also have some pet bowls that are made in China, but I did track down the website for the company that makes them. And because of what I read I feel confident using them.

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

My cat is having a hard time eating her wet food out of the dishes I have. They are stainless steel ones and she does better with flat dishes. The PetSmart by my house has a flat dish but it's plastic, which I want to avoid because Matilda is already having issues with kitty acne. The only ceramic flat dishes I've found are at Target (and they are cute!) but they are made in China and I'm worried that the paint used might have lead in it. (My vet thinks this is worrisome too). I haven't found a nice flat stainless dish anywhere.

Does anyone have this dish? They come in a few colors (pink, green, blue) and have cute sayings on them. I couldn't find a picture on Target's website.

Am I being too worrisome about the possibility of lead paint?
Try a store like Crate & Barrel, I have small glass saucers that I use to feed Peanut which were purchased from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cazlee

Try a store like Crate & Barrel, I have small glass saucers that I use to feed Peanut which were purchased from there.
I don't live by Crate & Barrel
I don't know why I didn't even think of people-plates (lol). I guess I just pictured a tiny saucer plate, something smaller than a salad plate. I do live by a Pottery Barn and also stores like Pier 1, Target, Macy's, etc. so I'm sure I could find something.

I was kind of hoping for something with a cute pet design on it, which is why I like these plates from Target so much. I wish there was a way to find out if they do have lead paint on them, but if not I would rather err on the side of caution (of course).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have the Target dishes you mentioned but didn't realize they were made in China

Now I'm wondering if I should throw them out and get something without paint.

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't live by Crate & Barrel
I don't know why I didn't even think of people-plates (lol). I guess I just pictured a tiny saucer plate, something smaller than a salad plate. I do live by a Pottery Barn and also stores like Pier 1, Target, Macy's, etc. so I'm sure I could find something.

I was kind of hoping for something with a cute pet design on it, which is why I like these plates from Target so much. I wish there was a way to find out if they do have lead paint on them, but if not I would rather err on the side of caution (of course).
You can buy test kits for lead. I don't know how much they cost. I'd just stay away from anything made in china.

The Macys down here has a pet section IIRC, then again toy dogs are still very en vogue here. (South Florida) But alot of stores are starting to be like this due to the fad.

PetsMart, Pet Supermarket, etc have some really cute flat dishes here.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'd err on the side of caution and not use any painted dishes from China. I've found relatively flat glass salad dishes work best. A lot of stores like Target or Wal*Mart have inexpensive ones, or check out a local Salvation Army shop.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few months back, Target had some small, square dishes. They're white and ceramic. I think they were intended for sushi.
They aren't entirely flat, which helps keep the food IN the dish, and they're just the right size.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use small plates for my crew, people ones. I bought a whole set of them for the kitties, actually!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is the pet company I was mentioning in my other post. I like the cute pet designs too.

http://www.petrageousdesigns.com/

If you have any Gordmans stores near you, that's where I got all of mine.

The bright fish designs come in a very shallow 6" bowl/plate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a "dessert glass" for humans /// I got at macys for 7$ ... I use ceramic from many yrs ago from target for the dog but it does not say china but japan

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cazlee

You can buy test kits for lead. I don't know how much they cost. I'd just stay away from anything made in china.
Those kits aren't accurate I've heard. I would stay away from anything made in China. I threw away the mat I had under the dishes because it was made in China. At this point, I don't trust anything coming out of China (and not that much coming from anywhere else either).

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get the flat 9" glass pyrex pie plates at walmart for about $3.50. They are shallow, wide, and heavy thick glass, so you odnt have to worry about cracks or breaks.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best ones I've found are heavy ceramic salad plates. I bought a whole set of them from a dollar store for the cats. They actually finish their wet food now, because it doesn't get shoved into places were they can't reach it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Corelle plates - they are very washable, not plastic and would work well for you. Or you can use the plastic coated paper plates