They want us to go to the upcoming Military Ball?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently every company in the Army here has to sponsor a soldier to go to the upcoming Holiday Military Ball and we were picked. Problem is, I've never been to one and this one is in D.C. with a bunch of higher ups and the chance of having politicians and representatives walking around. Honestly, I don't have a dress for such an occasion, nor the money to buy one. The only dress I have is my old homecoming dress from high school that's too short for me since I've grown another 2 inches since then. Heck, at least it still fits in width but it doesn't flatter my body like it did since the pregnancy.
So, what to do? The company can pay for the invitation and way there but that's it. I would like to go because I'm quite curious to see what it's about but another problem we have is that my husband's dress uniform does not fit him anymore and it costs over $300 to buy a new one, not to mention that that particular uniform is going to be expiring soon since the Army's switching from dress greens to the dress blues, which are even more expensive than the dress greens. Honestly, IMO, the military should stop switching their uniforms around so much, decide on one type and be done with it.
Gr, but what can I say, with every new guy in command, a new style of uniform.
Anyways, anyone been to one? What's it like?

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
look out for the sale events that seem so popular these days the ones that last all weekend, Macy's seem to do good ones.

I know what you mean about the military changing the uniforms, my hubby is AF and they are changing there BDU's to a digital print (which looks kinda silly but what ever works and keeps them safe)

My hubby wore his blues at our wedding and looked really smart, but he would have been more comfortable in a larger size, but its just to expensive!

So I cant offer any advice, only empathise with you, because I know how frustrating it is..to finding some suitable clothes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

look out for the sale events that seem so popular these days the ones that last all weekend, Macy's seem to do good ones.

I know what you mean about the military changing the uniforms, my hubby is AF and they are changing there BDU's to a digital print (which looks kinda silly but what ever works and keeps them safe)

My hubby wore his blues at our wedding and looked really smart, but he would have been more comfortable in a larger size, but its just to expensive!

So I cant offer any advice, only empathise with you, because I know how frustrating it is..to finding some suitable clothes!
Thanks for the tip, now I gotta find a Macy's!
I kind of like the new BDU's though, no more dry cleaning and starching for those. It's the dress uniforms that I hate. When I was in the AF, I saw the prototypes for the new dress uniforms, they looked alright but too much like the Navy.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Oh and I forgot to say I went to a summer ball in 2004 and that was funny, the military guys were not allowed to get up and pee at any time, if they got caught sneaking to the bathroom they were punished by having to drink a strange mix of alcohol, it was quite funny, I was scared to get up in case they picked on me, but they only picked on people in uniforms.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to a consignment or second hand store. I have found some great dresses at those, especially the consignment stores.

Can't help you with the DH's uniform though. Perhaps a crash diet is in order?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if there is a TJ maxx or Marshalls in your area, you can get some really nice dresses for less the $100.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! What an honor to be picked to go to a Military Ball in D.C.! When I read the title of the thread I was thinking I could give some advice because I went to a Military Ball for ROTC in college.
Guess I'm out of my league here...

With the dress though, is there a good seamstress that could make something unique for you? Honestly, that sometimes is cheaper that trying to get something already made, and it would be a one of a kind. Just a suggestion.

I hope you have a great time!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

With the dress though, is there a good seamstress that could make something unique for you? Honestly, that sometimes is cheaper that trying to get something already made, and it would be a one of a kind. Just a suggestion.

I hope you have a great time!!
Not unless it costs an arm and a leg. If we were still in Korea, that would've been my top choice. The seamstresses there were awesome and would bargain with you. I knew a guy who made me a full leather winter coat for $100.

And that's still if we decide to go. Our broken car is top priority at the moment so we're not really focusing our money on anything that's not essential.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a second hand store? Some of them have beautiful dresses, or how about a bargain off ebay?