Bah/humbug/halloween

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I am just getting old, but I no longer look forward to jumping up to answer the door, make a fuss over the costumes, and give out candy. Enough already.
Plus, I do not want to buy candy because I will eat it.

I guess I will turn off the light and go shopping, but then I feel guilty.
I could leave candy on the doorstep, but that entails buying/eating candy. No, I cannot resist, as soon as I walk out of the store, the bag is opened.

Anyone else hate halloween?

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am the exact same way! I used to love to get dressed up and answer the door. Now I turn the lights off and me and DH hide or go out that night. We don't get many kids because our apartment door is in the back and no one knows to go back there (good!). I hate buying candy because I'm into the bag no matter how hard I stay out, unless I buy candy I absolutely hate (and if I hate it the kids will too!).

I think it used to be more fun when I was younger. Now I think it's just all about the candy.

But the thing I hate MOST about Halloween? When I answer the door and there stands a couple 18 year olds saying "trick or treat" in their deep voices and barely-there costumes. Give me a break! Kids that old shouldn't be out trick or treating unless they're going with their younger siblings!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Halloween but we don't pass out candy for a few reasons. One being the buy/eat problem! The other being that we live in an apartment and not only are there very few kids out but most of them are rude and ungrateful so I don't bother. I will NOT give candy to HS kids. If your big enough to look at me eye to eye then your TOO big for trick or treating. That said, I can't wait till we have a house and I can decorate the yard and go all out.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't do the whole halloween thing either. We turn our lights off & hide out
Looks like many other people in our neighborhood aren't into decorating for halloween either, it doesn't even look like its halloween where we live this year...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you should see where I live, in fact maybe I will post a picture later. There a fake cemetaries in the front of the houses, giant air pumkins, guillotines, lights, I am sick of it. Plus it is the same tired decorations every single year after year. BAH HUMBUG!!!!!

really, grow up. the kids are 12 and older. the jouse with the guillotine doewn't have kids, except the lazy, trash 26+ year old that keeps moving back in and is bad action. creep. I have been looking at that guillotinew for ten years, when will it rot!!

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im 18 and I plan to go trick or treating
but im also dressing up. I didnt go trick or treating for 2 years but now I feel like going again and getting free candy
I think people of all ages should be able to enjoy Halloween, as long as they have a costume!

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not too fond of Halloween anymore but I do think it is great for the kids. I have a 4 year old as well as an 8 month old (his 1st Halloween!)

Halloween has changed drastically in the last 15 years or so.... I believe... much due to the Media w/ drugged candy, petafiles (sp), kidnapping, etc... Many parents, now, take their children to safer places likes churches (that participate) or organized events.

Have any of you noticed a difference???

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started hating Halloween around the time my city decided to capitalize on the fact that we once murdered innocents while proclaiming them witches.

Yes - let's hold a month-long party and call it Haunted Happenings! We can RAKE in the tourist dollars - great idea!

Now I hate Halloween with a passion, and on Wednesday night my doors will be locked tight, my lights will be turned off, and I will keep my fingers crossed that we don't have too many out-of-town drunks peeing in the bushes in front of the house.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm with everyone on this. I still get together with my boyfriend and his daughter and our friends and carve pumpkins, but last year my work of art got stolen... let's see if it stays around for 2 more days this year. I don't have any Halloween decorations. I haven't been to a Halloween party in a while. Probably the main reason I don't do anything is because no one goes trick or treating in my apartment complex. Their parents take them to the big rich neighborhoods nearby. Someday, when I live in a family oriented neighborhood, maybe I'll start up again, but nothing tacky!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a hider too!! I actually do buy candy...but it IS for me!!

I close my blinds and keep my outside light off, that seems to be the symbol around here for being "open for business" if your outside light is on, kids will come to your house. I used to go to my mom's and help pass out candy, but I just can't be bothered anymore

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love Halloween when I was a kid. For most of my 20's and early 30
s I lived out in the country so didn't get trick'or'treaters or anything. I still like the idea of it, but have a hard time getting "into" it this year, same with everything else.

I bought candy to pass out but don't know if I will get anyone.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All Bah-humbuggers (hey, that looks like hamburgers - they go great with chocolate!) should just spend Halloween at my house. Haven't ever had trick or treaters in the 12 Halloweens we have lived here. Pays to live on a steep hill with no sidewalks.

Our daughter, who is now 20, went trick and treating through HS. She always took our son, 8 years her junior. Since she has been in college, we have to take him now. Don't dress up and ask for candy, though

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope! I absolutely adore halloween! It's the best "holiday" of the year because it's just pure fun without the stress and expense of Christmas.

So far as opening the candy when you're in the car, buy 2 bags so you aren't dipping into the kids' supply. Or better yet, instead of chewing and crunching the candy/chocolate, suck on it and savour it. You won't eat as much

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, you guys are no fun!

I am so excited to go trick or treating with my neices
I can't to see their little costumes and to see all the scary houses! I wish I could still trick or treat

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read my local paper, and because we are expecting weather in the low 60s tomorrow, they are planning for over 100,000 people to come into town for the day.
That's more than twice our population size!

I have a 15 minute commute home, and I will be LUCKY to make it home tomorrow after work in anything under a 90 minute drive through gridlock.

I am SO looking forward to Thursday! TOURISTS GO HOME!!!!

maree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We go to our next door neighbor's for a driveway party.
I just put a note on the porch that says go next door and then we give it to them then. I really don't enjoy giving out the candy, but people did it for my kids (22 and 20) when they were little so I feel like I have to do it. I need to get a picture of my kitties on here like everyone else has!!! Is it hard to do?

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I just read my local paper, and because we are expecting weather in the low 60s tomorrow, they are planning for over 100,000 people to come into town for the day.
That's more than twice our population size!

I have a 15 minute commute home, and I will be LUCKY to make it home tomorrow after work in anything under a 90 minute drive through gridlock.

I am SO looking forward to Thursday! TOURISTS GO HOME!!!!
HAHA, you live in Salem, thats so awesome!