Cat or hawk?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found a dead squirrel in the yard, had puncture wounds in the belly, from what I could see. Did not inspect real close, but did see the blood/guts on the belly.

do you think it was the neighbors cat, or a hawk?

I once saw a fox in the yard, could/would he do it?

The only reason I am thinking cat, is if it were the other two, they would have ate it, right?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puncture wounds? My first instinct is that it was a hawk, and the hawk dropped it by accident or something..

turningcolorz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would also guess hawk or maybe owl, based on the "puncture" marks.
I'm not sure a cat could stalk a squirrel, they're pretty alert, and quick as lightning when being chased.

Mike - TurningColorz

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would have to be a pritty big bird to take on a squirrel wouldn't it ? I'm not being funny but squirrels are pritty big arn't they over here it would take a pritty big bird I would be suprised to find even a perigran could take on a squirrel maby you guys have bigger birds ? I don't know ?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaspers Mummy

It would have to be a pritty big bird to take on a squirrel wouldn't it ? I'm not being funny but squirrels are pritty big arn't they over here it would take a pritty big bird I would be suprised to find even a perigran could take on a squirrel maby you guys have bigger birds ? I don't know ?
Peregrines can and do eat squirrels (and hares and such).

Round here it's the red-tailed hawks that are most common. Or barn owls, great-horned owls, etc.

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm inclined to think hawk, because of puncture wounds...
but in any case, cats can and will hunt squirrels, and don't always eat the remains.