Please help!

faraway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the forums and signed up as I'm worried about my cat. She came home last night with a sever limp and seemed to be in pain so was taken to the vets. The vet kept her in over night so he could examine her in the morning and diagnosed cruciate ligament rupture and carried out a surgical repair procedure. I was allowed to bring her home this evening under strict instructions to severely restrict her movement. I just cant help but feel worried...all she wants to do is sleep (which I know makes sense as she has had an operation) and seems to be in a lot of pain (again I know this makes sense as her painkillers are likely to be wearing off and it is a painful injury!) But this is the first time my cat has been injured so badly and I cant help but worry! Has anyone else had experience of this condition? If so, any advice on how to help her feel comfortable? Thanks in advance

xman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure there's plenty of water for her. It helps pass the drugs through her system.

X

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you have to see your kitty in pain. There are times when pain can be useful, as much as we dislike it, as it keeps the kitty from moving and causing further damage. I would suggest spending time sitting quietly with her and talking to her in soothing tones. If you think her pain is increasing significantly, ask the vet whether there are pain medicines you can provide at home that might help ease her discomfort some.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad for you and your kitty
Sending calming vibes to you and healing vibes to her When is her surgery?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Comfort & soothe her as much as you can, and ask the vet if you can get some extra pain meds to help ease her discomfort.

Sending good vibes & a speedy recovery your way for your furbaby.

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faraway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies and kind words
she seems to be in a little less pain now, but still cant really stand up. She seems a little happier too..even managed to get her to purr!
Hopefully tomorrow she will feel like eating more as food hasnt interested her today, and she needs to eat to keep her strong.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by faraway

Thanks for all the replies and kind words
she seems to be in a little less pain now, but still cant really stand up. She seems a little happier too..even managed to get her to purr!
Hopefully tomorrow she will feel like eating more as food hasnt interested her today, and she needs to eat to keep her strong.
Cats will also purr when they are in pain so just keep that in mind. As to the food would it help if you tried hand-feeding her?

Sending healing vibes for the little one.

moodyeid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
look my friend 1st you shouldn't worry cats like to sleep and if any cat is sick or feeling any pain he sleeps alot so his boody could get some rest 2nd you should give your cat alot of milk . milk is better for cat than the water it helps thim to get better
my cat ate opnce a meet and it was UNHEALTHY and i tried every thing and my mam just gave her some milk for a week and soo.... she got better and she "" Recovered "" i realy think you should try this out

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat is unwell
I hope she gets better soon. I don't have any experience of that kind of injury so can't give you any specific advice. Sometimes too many pain meds aren't a good thing as it's pain that stops them from doing things they shouldn't. If she wasn't in any pain, she might attempt to move around too much. But if she seems to be in a lot of pain, do mention it to the vet as he may need some stronger pain relief. When Mosi had abdominal surgery a couple of months ago he was sleepy and not at all himself when he came home from the vets but he gradually got a bit better every day.

Please DON'T give him any milk. Milk is not good for cats. Most cats are lactose intolerant and it upsets their stomach. The only exception is that if you know your cat likes milk and can cope with it, it wouldn't hurt to give her a small amount to encourage her to eat (milk is a food not a drink). I hope she's eating better now, but if not ask your vet for some Hills a/d which is a food for convalescent cats and most seem to really like it.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your cats leg. I hope it heals quickly and she feels better real soon!