I cant believe this - Im so confused

mystiquesmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am soo embarrased to be posting here. But here I go
I think Georgi may be pregnant....
Now before I get told I should have gotten her spayed I will say I agree I should of but silly me didnt get around to it because a:its not cheap and b:everytime i think about getting her done I start bawling about leaving her at a strange place.

So anyway.. last night I was holding her and I felt a lump on her tummy I went oh crap what is that - it was right by her nipple and her nipple was pink
and bigger than it used to be- some of her nipples are still small and whitish others are bigger and pinker. Now I cant feel that lump anymore around her nipple but they are still bigger and pinker - it just dawned on me that it could of been a kitten? could it? She has also been more cuddly but also more growly too like last night she actually was growling while i was cuddling her but this morning she was all cuddles.

This is just at the worst time possible - we have had 3 medical emergencys in the last 2 weeks costing us about 5000 dollars and now I have to make a tough decision whether to do a spay/abort or let her have the kitties.

Now we dont have much of a problem with having the kittens around and feeding them and all that, its just first of all I am worried about how Tigger will take not being the baby anymore and my mum doesnt want anymore than two cats - but we have had 3 before so if she had them we would probably be able to keep one or two of them, but im worried about giving them up - i know it will be awful and i dont know if i could handle it, i have only had tigger for 3 months and i love him more than anything i couldnt imagine not having him so I cant imagine giving up 2-3 month old kittens
and then there is the issue of how Georgi will handle it - will the birth go ok? will she be a good mother? where will she have them? wil they be healthy?
and all those other questions

so the obvious thing would be to get a spay/abort but i dont think it is right myself, but I would definitely do it if I hadnt been thinking about having newborn kittens around lately. We had newborn kittens around .. 2 years ago at christmas and we loved it -there was only 2 of them and it was nothing but joy, they unfortunatley both died last year from unknown causes - which was heartbreaking of course. But a big part of me really wants to have babies around.

I really dont know what to do. Because there is a chance she might not be pregnant at all and just me being paranoid, in which case im happy to go get her spayed asap but if she is half of me wants the babies - and I felt really gutted when my mum said she would prefer a spay abort so definitley some part of me wants them, but then with me especially being a really anxious person there are a gazillion worries too.

So what is your opinion on spay/abort?
Would it be better to have the kitties then find them homes?
Please any advice you have would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree newborn and young kittens are addictive and so cute. However, you have to think of the expense end. If you are not prepared to handle extra food/litter and at least first shots for the kittens AND be willing to keep them around for a good 10-12 weeks before finding homes, then you may have to abort now.

Also keep in mind the added expense of if mom cat has problems and needs a c-section for those kittens - that will run you several hundred dollars on top of caring for kittens she may not be able to nurse. So that means bottle feeding every few hrs for several weeks.

As hard as it is to think of abort, IMO its best to do it now and have her spayed at the same time. It will cost more if she's pregnant, but in the long run, it will be a lot cheaper then caring for another litter of kittens.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, spay abort. There are so many kitties out there in the world who need homes...why bring more into this world?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second...third...forth (whatever) on spay/abort... absolutely

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF the cost of spaying her is an issue, then the cost of anything going wrong, as well as food and litter for them all is going to be even worse, and there are already so many kittens/cats needing homes, I dont think it is fair to bring more into the world.
Do you know if she has got outside recently, or come into contact with an unneutered tom? I would recommend a vet check to make sure it isnt anything more serious. How old is she?

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As cruel as it sounds, I would spay/abort too. Our shelter is so stocked with cats and kittens, and more are on the waiting list, and I just get so mad at people who just let their cats have kittens nilly willy.

There was a beautiful cat hanging around the office where I worked. She was clearly pregnant. I couldn't bear the thought her her having kittens out in the middle of winter, so I took her to my local shelter. They spayed/aborted the kittens, all six of them, but it was for the best. She found a wonderful home and we had six less kittens to adopt out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystiquesmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,,
Thanks for all your replys,
she is only 10 months - but im guess will be close to 1 when she has them if she is indeed pregnant but we have pretty much decided to do a spay/abort, we may possibly see if we can find out how many kittens there are and if there is only 1 or 2 there is a tiny chance we might let her have them but I highly doubt it.I just hope the vet will do it, oh and im not 100 percent sure but I think from the pet shop kittens go like hotcakes - even though I dont think I would take them there- its usually not difficult to find kittens homes around here
Thanks again

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good luck with her, and I do hope she isn't pregnant. Just for info, while it might be easy to find homes, it is important that homes are vetted properly, if kittens are homed just anywhere, they could be left unneutered, and continue to contribute to the major overpopulation issue we are facing.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you do let her have the kittens, please do not take them to a pet shop to be sold. Find suitable homes yourself for them. People that are responsible and will give them loving homes!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The responsible thing to do would be to spay/abort. Even if she has the kittens, you don't know if all of the people who take them will spay them (unless you want to pay for spaying/neutering every single kitten too). So while finding homes for the kittens might not be an issue (even though it could be!), you still don't know how responsible their new owners may be. Bringing them to a pet store will make it impossible to really screen for a good home.

xylinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the pet store I work for does insure that the animals they sell go to good homes. we also spay and neuter all our pets before putting them up for adoption plus we have the pets for life program that lets people bring their pets back to us if circumstances change, AND we also find forever homes for rescue animals. we are all animal lovers, and yes we are a major canadian chain store. the store also reports puppy/kitten mills and works hard to shut those down. not all pets stors are bad to give your kittens too. I am proud to say I work for petland.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Xylinda

the pet store I work for does insure that the animals they sell go to good homes. we also spay and neuter all our pets before putting them up for adoption plus we have the pets for life program that lets people bring their pets back to us if circumstances change, AND we also find forever homes for rescue animals. we are all animal lovers, and yes we are a major canadian chain store. the store also reports puppy/kitten mills and works hard to shut those down. not all pets stors are bad to give your kittens too. I am proud to say I work for petland.
Petland gets most of their puppies from puppy mills.