Cat Grass?

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Ziggy has passed away, I will most definetly be keeping Links as an indoor only cat. Here is a question: I keep seeing cat grass for sale in pet stores. What is it for?

If it is for indoor onlys then I would really like to get some.

Is it for eating?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is for ANY cat, but is normally used in indoor-only households because the cats need fresh greens to help them digest.

I have indoor only cats and keep a steady supply of cat grass growing in the house - I used to buy the stuff from the store, but started buying seeds online and grow my own - a mix of wheat and oat.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I would definitely provide some grass if your kitty's gonna be strictly indoors... I get oat grass seeds online to grow for Oliver (I have a site: PM me if you want it... dunno if I can post it here) - It's much cheaper to buy the seeds and grow them than to keep buying the store grown stuff (at least that I've found)... the grass helps with digestion and can help your kitty pass any hairballs instead of them coming back up... Oliver's basically "indoor only" but he's allowed outside for about an hour a day on a harness and leash and he always chomps on grass, but it's getting colder so I don't know how much longer he'll be able to go out

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my oat or wheat seeds from a health food shop, cheapest way to do it around here.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you get seeds either in those tubs from the petshop, or organic ones from a health food shop- that way you can be sure they haven't been treated with fungicides etc.

I ended up putting my tub of grass in the bath, they can make an awful mess when they knock the pot over in their excitement!

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We keep two pots in rotation, since it takes several days for them to sprout, and no matter how much you water it, it withers up and dies off.

James Bond, my Wegie mix, loves to supervise the planting. Early in our relationship, Dear Husband volunteered to plant the next batch, and since we were out of seeds, he picked some up from the hardware store, a different brand that I usually get.

Mr. Bond was very skeptical about the job DH might do. He likes to fetch us to come look at the dirt in the pot and reassure him that it will, indeed sprout. This time, he asked a lot, thinking DH might have messed it up. The joke was on us; this brand of kitty grass, instead of growing about six inches high, grew two feet long! It was spilling over the pot!

We decided it wasn't as tender as our usual brand, and didn't get it again. But during those weeks, Mr. Bond decided that when it came to kitty grass, DH is THE MAN!

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, as said above, it aids in digestion. Not all cats need it, and it's not actually broken down at all (it passes through them), so it won't make a cat fat or change their regular eating habits.

Does your cat normally eat grass outside? If so, it's definitely healthier than regular lawn grass. If your cat doesn't eat grass, he may have no interest in cat grass. I've read that it's more important if your cat's a shedder, and our guy barely sheds at all, so we don't have any.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Werebear

We keep two pots in rotation, since it takes several days for them to sprout, and no matter how much you water it, it withers up and dies off.

James Bond, my Wegie mix, loves to supervise the planting. Early in our relationship, Dear Husband volunteered to plant the next batch, and since we were out of seeds, he picked some up from the hardware store, a different brand that I usually get.

Mr. Bond was very skeptical about the job DH might do. He likes to fetch us to come look at the dirt in the pot and reassure him that it will, indeed sprout. This time, he asked a lot, thinking DH might have messed it up. The joke was on us; this brand of kitty grass, instead of growing about six inches high, grew two feet long! It was spilling over the pot!

We decided it wasn't as tender as our usual brand, and didn't get it again. But during those weeks, Mr. Bond decided that when it came to kitty grass, DH is THE MAN!

That's so hilarious!!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two pots going all the time. Bella can't get enough of the stuff, Stan just nibbles on it when he's feeling a hair ball coming on.

I bought the first batch from the farmer's market (it was lush and hmm hmm good, but not worth $3 a pop every week!).

Grow it yourself is the way to go for economy. I have small-ish cups from pudding or ricotta cheese; I punched holes in the bottom and I rotate 3 or 4 of them. I put them in a larger flower pot that has lots of rocks in the bottom so it can't be knocked off accidentially. The cup with the grass rests on top of the rocks and that has minimized the mess for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EggyToast

Yeah, as said above, it aids in digestion. Not all cats need it, and it's not actually broken down at all (it passes through them), so it won't make a cat fat or change their regular eating habits.

Does your cat normally eat grass outside? If so, it's definitely healthier than regular lawn grass. If your cat doesn't eat grass, he may have no interest in cat grass. I've read that it's more important if your cat's a shedder, and our guy barely sheds at all, so we don't have any.
Links is only a little kitten and hasn't had any vaccinations yet. His mum Ziggy was killed by a car on Saturday night so I will never let him out. (maybe on a harness). I've bought some cat grass, and its currently growing. It he likes it, I will buy a few more pots and put one by his food, and one near the house-tree he likes to nibble on
. I think he will like it though.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a Chia Sylvester & Tweety Cat Grass kit last Xmas, and I've found it to be THE best pot for growing the grass in because the kits can't knock it over, so I keep reusing it.

I alternate with the Drinkwell hydroponic cat grass kit (I don't buy the seed pod refills, I just open the container and put my own seeds in - lots less expensive!)

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep a pot on their "summer home" (an extravagant kitty condo, 9 stories!).
they love it.

I just buy a plant once every couple weeks when I buy their food. It's only about $2 or $3 a pot. seeds are a lot cheaper though...

turningcolorz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat likes to sample every plant in the house, followed immediately by the obligitory puke on the carpet. Usually with a hairball. I tried the kitty grasses a few times but he keeps going back to the plants. He's indoor only, and doesn't care what kind of plant it is, he'll try it. He won't touch the cat grass though, so I gave up.

Mike - TurningColorz