Bad Acting!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been able to sleep at night so I end up watching reruns of shows like Miami Vice.

Now that was one of my favourite shows back in the day. But I watch it now and while I still enjoy the plots, I find that some of the acting is sooooo, well, bad!

Tonight's episode guest starred a former actor called "Robin Johnson." She played a hooker who gets busted and helps Crockett and Tubbs with their investigation.

She was trying to be sultry and sexy at the pool and after everything she said she left her mouth hanging open. I half expected to see gobs of drool falling out
She looked more drunk than sexy.

And that Castillo guy who was their boss. Major over acting. He was trying to appear "dramatic" and it came out as "cheesy."

Any shows you used to enjoy watching but now tune into a rerun and notice the really, really bad acting?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Theres got to be some that i can think of because i know exactly what you mean.

I sit and watch UK Gold which are repeats of old shows and i can't believe i used to get excited for when they came on

I still watch them though

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not really for the bad acting.

Recently TV Land has been showing re-runs of Home Improvement. The ones where Jill's going back to school and juggling family and school responsibilities are SO funny right now- that's where I am in my life. 40 years old, and I start nursing school next semester. I should have my RN by Dec 2010, and my oldest will be a sophomore in high school.

I saw one episode where the youngest boy's making a movie and says something on the line of his poor middle aged mom trying to regain her youth- my 13 year old saw some of it. She laughed, and I told her she BETTER not say anything like that to her friends

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean Linda!! Shoot, some of the shows I watch now have some pretty bad acting (Bionic Woman)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I know exactly what you mean Linda!! Shoot, some of the shows I watch now have some pretty bad acting (Bionic Woman)
OMG! Yes! It's not on in reruns here yet, but I remember how bad it was!

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my all-time favorite for bad acting is Hawaii Five-O. I believe almost everyone on it was carved, not born.

For over-acting (to be kind, probably due to his Shakespearian stage background), Shatner in the original Star Trek is my nominee.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think maybe it is a case of "hindsight provides 20/20 vision"! It seems that almost anything I see on TVLand or Nick@Night makes me cringe! Especially Full House! And yet, there are older shows that STILL hold up (IMO) like I Love Lucy, Jackie Gleason, Mash, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, etc.
Maybe it is the poor quality of acting skills that the tv performers - and the really bad writing!

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of older shows do tend to have noticably bad writing/acting.

For my money though, David Caruso on CSI: Miami is the worst actor, period.

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus

LOL

I also have a hard time watching anything with Vin Diesel, Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, or Nicholas Cage.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. I remember watching the original Dark Shadows as a teen (me and my sister) EVERY day at 4pm. Thought it was the greatest show on tv

Years later one of the cable channels was airing some of the original stuff. I watched it a few times and really got to see that it was NOT the best acting - a lot of it really was crappy

Still love David Selby tho (Quentin). He was one of my crushes.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Dark Shadows! My sister and I raced home from school knowing our first color tv was to be delivered that day, and were so disappointed that it was STILL in black and white. It went to color shortly after, though, and then it wasn't as good. The acting on that was awful!
I don't care how bad William Shatner's acting is, he is still great. I love his new show with Candice Bergen, but cannot remember the name of it. I hope it didn't get cancelled.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Tell me about it - he ruins CSI: Miami, especially with that half turn his head does, and the putting on of his sunglasses and calling everyone "my friend."

He makes me cringe, just thinking about him!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Tell me about it - he ruins CSI: Miami, especially with that half turn his head does, and the putting on of his sunglasses and calling everyone "my friend."

He makes me cringe, just thinking about him!
Ahhhh! I feel the same way!
I dont understand why he does that 1/2 head turn/sunglasses thing. If I had to work with him, I'd freak out

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Full House. I use to love that show as a kid and now I can't watch it, the acting is just that horrible!

Also Living Single...that show with Queen Latifah. I think I use to only watch it because I loved how deep that one guy's voice is!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

...there are older shows that STILL hold up (IMO) like I Love Lucy, Jackie Gleason, Mash, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, etc....
What a great list! Add Andy Griffith to it and that's just about all the TV you need in life...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

I also have a hard time watching anything with Vin Diesel, Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, or Nicholas Cage.
Woah! I was right there with you until you mentioned Nic Cage, whom I adore! Yes, he sometimes loses his mind and does a script that doesn't deserve him, which can make him look bad... butbutbut... Lord of War! National Treasure! How can you not love this guy?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The problem with David Caruso is that whatever part he's given, it turns into David Caruso.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Jackie Gleason, Mash, , Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, etc.Maybe it is the poor quality of acting skills that the tv performers - and the really bad writing!
lol i love that shows, and wow marty tyler moore was really hot when she was young
in the dick van dyke show. bad side is have to take out
I Love Lucy never liked that show. she is funny, just did like that show.

i will go with the original Star Trek, i still watch it, but the acting is soo bad.
and so i space 1999

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

...I don't care how bad William Shatner's acting is, he is still great. I love his new show with Candice Bergen, but cannot remember the name of it. I hope it didn't get cancelled.
YES! Thank you for standing up for Shatner! Personally, I think he's wonderful -- a little odd, but wonderful, and especially in Boston Legal (with Candice Bergen), he is SO FUNNY! And best of all, I love it that he has such a sense of humor about himself.

And while I'm posting yet again here, let me put in a good word for David Caruso. Last time I saw CSI: Miami, yes, he had become a little bit of a caricature of himself. But if you think back to the beginning of NYPD Blue, when he was partnered with Andy Sipowicz... he was brilliant. He had to be, to stand up next to the great Dennis Franz! Whatever it is he's got... it worked on NYPD Blue.