Recs for a healthy treat?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are some good treats that I can give my kitty?

PetCo had some dried salmon flakes but she had a heard time chewing them and wasn't really interested. She likes the Greenies I buy her (beef & tuna flavors).

What are some other options? She seems very interested in cheese, is that a common thing for cats?

I live by a PetCo and a PetSmart but I haven't really researched smaller non-chain pet stores in my area.

(Oh, if it matters, she is eating Nutro Natural Indoor Cat food (chicken flavor) and I am switching her to Natural Balance wet food as soon as I am finished with a few leftover Fancy Feasts.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats have enjoyed cheese. For some, it causes an upset tummy, so I would just give a very small amount to see how they respond. Bits of cooked chicken, turkey, or beef are good as long as they don't have any seasonings (garlic and onions can be harmful). Mine like the freeze-dried chicken treats (there's one called We Pity the Kitties, but Liv-A-Littles is probably easier to find). Tuna is okay as an occasional treat as long as your kitty tolerates fish. Willow really liked Kitty Cavier/bonito flakes, but they are probably similar to the salmon flakes you've already tried--they're like fish food flakes except bigger. I've also given a bit of cooked shrimp to both Willow and Odo (I didn't give them the tails--those when to my hermit crabs instead). Every cat has unique tastes. My mom's cat love dried apricots. Willow liked frozen corn. You never know what a cat will prefer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Most of my cats have enjoyed cheese. For some, it causes an upset tummy, so I would just give a very small amount to see how they respond. Bits of cooked chicken, turkey, or beef are good as long as they don't have any seasonings (garlic and onions can be harmful). Mine like the freeze-dried chicken treats (there's one called We Pity the Kitties, but Liv-A-Littles is probably easier to find). Tuna is okay as an occasional treat as long as your kitty tolerates fish. Willow really liked Kitty Cavier/bonito flakes, but they are probably similar to the salmon flakes you've already tried--they're like fish food flakes except bigger. I've also given a bit of cooked shrimp to both Willow and Odo (I didn't give them the tails--those when to my hermit crabs instead). Every cat has unique tastes. My mom's cat love dried apricots. Willow liked frozen corn. You never know what a cat will prefer.
dried apricots huh?
that's something I've never heard, lol.

I guess what I am looking for (and I didn't really clarify this in my original post) is for recommendations for what the healthier/better treats are that you can buy in a pet store that are marketed as pet treats. My cat likes the Meow Mix wet treats but I don't know how bad or good they are for her.

As for the non-pet store type things, I've given her tuna and she liked it a lot. I didn't know about the garlic/onion thing, so I'm glad that you pointed that out. I buy those Tillamook cheese squares (they are just snack sized pieces of cheddar cheese, they are so good) and so I'll see if she'll eat a little piece.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alix's favorite topic

These are all healthy, no carb, nothing added (no colors/preservatives etc etc etc) treats:
Whole Life Pet Treats Chicken , Beef Muscle, Turkey and when they have it available to them, Cod - which is a real favorite of many kitties, Grandma Lucy's chicken, tuna, mahi mahi, ocean white fish and liver (chicken livers - alix's current fav), and then Kitty Kaviar and Wildside Salmon. The kaviar is thin flakes of shaved bonito (a kind of tuna - not hard, but they are so light they scoot, so can be a bit hard to eat), the others are all freeze-dried, some in cubes, some in handcut shapes where you can break it into smaller pieces.

Problem is none of the above are sold in the large warehouse type pet stores, but in the independent pet stores and online of course.