Help (Job Related)

xoxolyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of you work in shelters. I have a second interview at the humane society Tuesday
I would really really love this job. Is there any special tips I can use so I can nail this interview and get the job? This job is so perfect for me in every way. I have never wanted a job but I really want this one. Now I got all the basic interview questions down, do you think they will ask shelter specific questions? What could they ask? BTW it is a job in admissions. I am so nervous - I want it so bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

lizsto1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just be yourself. I know it is hard to do, especially when nervous. One of the things my Manager does not like when people interview, is rambling. When they ask a question be specific with your answer and dont over do it.

Best of luck to you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xoxolyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick response. So far, no rambling just short detailed answers.

Would a thank you letter be too much? I have heard this, but have never done it or knew anyone that did. I mean they have to hire me if I did send one right? Or would it be too desperate?

lizsto1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Always send a thank you letter. They dont have to hire you based on that but it shows you took the time to respond to them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, as soon as you get home from the interview, send a thank you letter or thank you email.
Make a list of questions that pertain to the job. Put yourself in that role for the position and begin to ask questions towards the job or how the shelter operates. Doing this shows your interest in the position.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it isn't a no-kill, they will ask you if you are OK with euthanizing animals. Just, be prepared for that one. There is no right or wrong answer, they judge you on your emotions.

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Persistence is key as well...

Being a shelter... they take volunteers, I'm sure! Not saying work for free but rather make an appearance every so often and spend some time with the animals (especially cats!!!). While doing so, get to know the staff. In most cases, from my experience, there is usually a tight-nit staff so word will get around about you... just idea!

xoxolyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If it isn't a no-kill, they will ask you if you are OK with euthanizing animals. Just, be prepared for that one. There is no right or wrong answer, they judge you on your emotions.
Yes, they asked me that during the first interview. While I was waiting to be interviewed a guy came in with a pit bull with lots of scars (who knows maybe it wasn't for fighting) I felt bad for the dog.

Originally Posted by koodeez

Persistence is key as well...

Being a shelter... they take volunteers, I'm sure! Not saying work for free but rather make an appearance every so often and spend some time with the animals (especially cats!!!). While doing so, get to know the staff. In most cases, from my experience, there is usually a tight-nit staff so word will get around about you... just idea!
Everyone seems friendly and laid back. The interviewer even said 'we bullshit a lot (in the front office)' during the interview. I wish I would have volunteered along time ago. And if I get hired I wouldn't mind helping out on my days off.

xoxolyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the job!