Home testing for cause of diarrhea, parasites

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'd like to test my kittens for parasites and worms at home to save some money. I found a website with information about home testing for Tritrichomonas foetus but I haven't found one for Giardia, Coccidia, or worms, does anyone have any information about testing for these?

http://www.nitewindes.com/HealthTric...de_tfoetus.pdf

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
interesting idea ... but cover it with your vet .. i have done fecal floats before and well ... lets just say the last worming done on all animals was many many yrs ago...

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why not just skip the testing and deworm your cats regularly? To be honest, I read fecal floats all the time and it took weeks of supervised practice to be able to not only find the important stuff, but more importantly to be able to ignore the stuff that looks like it should be a problem, but its really just a fancy pollen grain or other whatsit...

Fecal flotations pick up large numbers of parasite eggs, but to really do a good job you need a special centrifuge.

From someone who does fecal floats all the time, it just seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which dewormer should I use? I think I'm going to do it anyways because I'd like to check for Tritrichomonas foetus.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't use over-the-counter dewormers. They are often not effective, you don't know which type of worm your cat may have if any at all, and you could end up paying a vet far more than the de-worming cost if your cat gets sick from OTC meds.

I also do NOT agree with giving cats worming meds on a regular basis - it's poison so why use it if it is unnecessary.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
river - Can you give us an update on your situation? Are you still fighting diarrhea in your bengal kittens? Does this thread imply that they have never been checked for parasites by a vet? What have you tried to help them?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats were doing fine when I switched to Countrypet raw food, then when I switched to Nature's Variety Raw they did fine for a while, then the diarrhea was back and this time with blood and mucus. I switched back to Countrypet and I haven't had a problem since, but now I'm stuck with only one type of food which my cats don't like that much. I guess I should have them checked by a vet, but I don't know who to trust. Also I know the tests aren't that accurate especially if only done once and if I do it myself I learn something new and save a lot of money.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you link the country pet??? I would like to see what it DOESNT have that the NV does ..

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention, I tried using probios(probiotic) for a couple weeks without success. I also tried using Holistic transitions for a few days without success. I have Holistic Solutions, and plain digestive enzymes which I haven't tried yet. I'm just going to feed Countrypet for a week or two more before I try to add anything to the food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
very good idea ... which digestive s did you get ( I ask since I take 3 different ones depending on what I eat)

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
www.countrypet.com

I asked Customer support what the difference between the dog and cat food was, and here's the reply. I now feed the dog food.

Just the fish. Country Pet and Real Meat frozen foods are pasteurized safe; made from meat from lamb, beef, chicken, and venison, with hearts, lungs, livers, and kidney. We add raw eggs, and a balanced mix of vitamins and minerals to make a complete food for your pet. We do not use artificial colourings, flavourings or preservatives.
All our Meat Cat and Dog foods (we do not have dry food) are gently heat-treated (pasteurized; not cooked). We raise the temperature to 80 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes (temperature of hot coffee), to protects against salmonella. Toxoplasmosis and other parasites that may be found in a raw diet. The process is actually less harsh than freeze-drying. The product is also more stable than raw, while not using any preservatives, and safer to handle. Since our foods are meat and we do not use corn based fillers we do not have to add allot of nutrients and cleverly market an un-natural diet as a healthy one. Taurine is naturally present in our food in excellent quantities, so we never actually add taurine. Interestingly, the only reason it has to be added to dry foods is that it does not naturally occur in grains (it does in meats) as an obligate carnivore, cats need it. Cats can eat both our “Cat†and “Dog†foods as a complete and balanced diet.
Our product un-opened can be in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and 7-10 days once opened.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
CANZ

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

www.countrypet.com

I asked Customer support what the difference between the dog and cat food was, and here's the reply. I now feed the dog food.

Just the fish. Country Pet and Real Meat frozen foods are pasteurized safe; made from meat from lamb, beef, chicken, and venison, with hearts, lungs, livers, and kidney. We add raw eggs, and a balanced mix of vitamins and minerals to make a complete food for your pet. We do not use artificial colourings, flavourings or preservatives.
All our Meat Cat and Dog foods (we do not have dry food) are gently heat-treated (pasteurized; not cooked). We raise the temperature to 80 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes (temperature of hot coffee), to protects against salmonella. Toxoplasmosis and other parasites that may be found in a raw diet. The process is actually less harsh than freeze-drying. The product is also more stable than raw, while not using any preservatives, and safer to handle. Since our foods are meat and we do not use corn based fillers we do not have to add allot of nutrients and cleverly market an un-natural diet as a healthy one. Taurine is naturally present in our food in excellent quantities, so we never actually add taurine. Interestingly, the only reason it has to be added to dry foods is that it does not naturally occur in grains (it does in meats) as an obligate carnivore, cats need it. Cats can eat both our “Cat†and “Dog†foods as a complete and balanced diet.
Our product un-opened can be in the fridge for 3-4 weeks and 7-10 days once opened.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
CANZ
Thank you ... OHH and they should fact check .. taurine is also DESTROYED by cooking , even low temp

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay on quick glance
... One kind of eggs .. NO CLAY ... No Fruits and NO HONEY... You cats are smart
.... you may be able to try things like OMAS pride and Bravo since they offer simple options

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

very good idea ... which digestive s did you get ( I ask since I take 3 different ones depending on what I eat)
Source Naturals - Essential Enzymes and AbsorbAid - Family of Plant Enzymes, they both have Lipase, Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, and Lactase. Source Naturals also has Vegetal Analog of Pancreatin and Hemicellulase.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

Source Naturals - Essential Enzymes and AbsorbAid - Family of Plant Enzymes, they both have Lipase, Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, and Lactase. Source Naturals also has Vegetal Analog of Pancreatin and Hemicellulase.
they are good brand will PM you some other info
if you want

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Okay on quick glance
... One kind of eggs .. NO CLAY ... No Fruits and NO HONEY... You cats are smart
.... you may be able to try things like OMAS pride and Bravo since they offer simple options
I looked for those and others but couldn't find them in my area. Shipping them is an option but it'll be really expensive.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The NV has a bunch of fruits and veggies. The CountryPet doesn't. I believe fruits and veggies can be difficult for cats to digest. This may be your problem. Most processed foods have them also.

If this is the case I'm surprised the probiotics didn't help....

CountryPet:

ngredients: Chicken, Fish, Beef, Lamb, Water (sufficient for processing), Whole Eggs, a pinch or two of Vitamins and Minerals consisting of: Salt (Sodium Chloride), Choline Chloride Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulphate Supplement, Manganese Sulphate, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate Supplement, Vitamin B2, Calcium Iodate, Selenium Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Vitamin B1 Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

NV organic Chk:

Organic Chicken, Raw Ground Organic Chicken Bone, Organic Chicken Liver, Organic Chicken Heart, Organic Chicken Eggs, Organic Bok Choy, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Pears, Organic Persimmons, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Organic Yogurt (Organic Grade A Pasteurized Milk, Organic Nonfat Milk, Fructan, Pectin, Live and Active Yogurt Cultures: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus,
Lactobacillus casei), Organic Alfalfa Sprouts, Organic Parsley, Organic Blueberries.

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

they are good brand will PM you some other info
if you want
Sure, thanks