How can I de-virus a house?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B had whitey in his room for the last hour. At one point B came and said that Whitey was getting the eye goobers and started sneezing again.

These are the same symtoms he started with almost 2 weeks ago. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but is there a way to de-virus a house so that the cats don't catch another round of URI?

Would spraying Lysol around the house do it?????

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lysol bad, the phenols are toxic to kitties.
If Whitey had antibiotics for the URI, they are probably still in his system, I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless he starts showing the more serious URI symptoms.

aquarius

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Airborne viruses are oh-so tricky. The best way to disinfect surfaces (like counters, food/water bowls, litterboxes, etc) is with bleach/water solution in a spray bottle... though be careful not to get it on fabrics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip about Lysol.

How long do anti-biotics last in a cat's system?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember that while they have the URI, they're going to be more sensitive to cleaners.

I'm not a big fan of doing much cleaning....I'd focus on getting the kitties healthy. Maybe go for 21 days on antibiotics if you did 14. Or if you did 7 go for 14 days. Start everyone on lysine to boost their immune systems. Wash the fabrics they sleep on most...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also focus on Lysine for all the kitties in the household. Keep it up for a week or so even after the sneezing and goobers are gone.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, since I did not know about Lysol before, I was just cleaning the litterbox and thought of this.

When we first got here after 2 weeks I cleaned the litter box. I cleaned it with Lysol All Purpose Cleaner.

I have not cleaned anything the cats touch with Lysol since, however could the toxicity cause symptoms similar to URIs? I cleaned both litterboxes outside with soap and water for once a week for 2 more weeks, then the symptoms started to appear.

Did I poison our cats?????

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Remember that while they have the URI, they're going to be more sensitive to cleaners.

I'm not a big fan of doing much cleaning....I'd focus on getting the kitties healthy. Maybe go for 21 days on antibiotics if you did 14. Or if you did 7 go for 14 days. Start everyone on lysine to boost their immune systems. Wash the fabrics they sleep on most...
I'm not sure you can really "devirus" a house. The best thing is probably to boost everyone's immune system and clean what you can. I have a product called "clorox anywhere" that is supposedly pet and child safe bleach. I use it on the hard surfaces and I make sure their bowls get a good cleaning between meals. I give my two lysine every day and I up the dose if someone starts sneezing. When I got them, Stanley's URI was so bad he could be heard wheezing from across the room and (pardon the grossness) he sneezed bloody yellow gunk all over my baseboards

As for the lysol
I know you were just trying to keep a clean house and didn't want to hurt your babies. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Was it the Lysol cleaner in the spray bottle (yellow liquid) as opposed to the spray cans? I think the yellow stuff is not exactly the same although I wouldn't go using any of them now that you know. It's the phenols in the spray can lysol that are so bad for the kits.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Was it the Lysol cleaner in the spray bottle (yellow liquid) as opposed to the spray cans? I think the yellow stuff is not exactly the same although I wouldn't go using any of them now that you know. It's the phenols in the spray can lysol that are so bad for the kits.
Yes it was the yellow liquid, the All Purpose Cleaner. I don't see Phenol as a listed "Active" ingrediant and the back is too scratch up to read.

LAtest news is that Beauty still isn't eating on her own and that she still has eye and nose discharge. They're keeping her for a few more days

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this sounds weird, but I think a kitten getting a small cold helps boost their immune system to it in the future, so if a kitten gets a little cold, I usually just let them ride it out (unless it gets horribly bad of course) but I just let them deal with it and made sure they are eating and drinking and everything, and it just clears up in a few days like a regular human cold.

I don't think it stays contageous outside the cats body for all that long, in a well ventilated room. So open the windows, wipe off the counters with a mild antibacterial soap and you should be fine.