Anyone know how to get gum out of...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fabric? Specifically, my couch. We had a horror movie marathon last night and some how gum is all over my couch.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WD-40 works like a miracle...if you have a good degreaser to get the oily residue out.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try freezing the gum, either by applying ice packs to the fabric or sticking it in the freezer, then carefully picking/scraping the gum off.

Things to watch: whether it's okay for the fabric to get wet (you don't want the ice to warm enough to melt anyway because it won't really freeze the gum, but some water is pretty much inevitable), and more importantly (because upholstry can usually be laundered) that whatever you're using for the scrapping won't unduly damage the fabric.

If all else fails, there is always your friendly local dry cleaners.

Good luck hon. What a way to spend the weekend

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

What type of fabric?
Canvas/Stiff Cotton.
Originally Posted by Satai

You can try freezing the gum, either by applying ice packs to the fabric or sticking it in the freezer, then carefully picking/scraping the gum off.

Things to watch: whether it's okay for the fabric to get wet (you don't want the ice to warm enough to melt anyway because it won't really freeze the gum, but some water is pretty much inevitable), and more importantly (because upholstry can usually be laundered) that whatever you're using for the scrapping won't unduly damage the fabric.

If all else fails, there is always your friendly local dry cleaners.

Good luck hon. What a way to spend the weekend
No worries. It's just a couch. In reality it's an Ikea couch with a removable fabric cover, so if all else fails I could just rip the thing off, and wash it. I'm just afraid that will set the gum.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is stuff you can buy at a store its called like Goof- off or something like that in a yellow bottle and it smells like lighter fluid. it is made specifically for getting gum or othre things off of fabrics and stuff

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest to wash it at 90 degrees if it was one of those removable things

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goof off and Goo Gone both work VERY well for stuff like that!!!!!
You can get goof off at your local pain shop/hardware store- when i painted my guest bathroom recently, i used it to get off the tinsy paint blobs- it's AWESOME! Goo Gone is good too!! We used to use that at the daycare i worked at when i tought the 2 yr old class
Those toddlers knew how to make a mess!