MySpace was Hacked!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They've been phishing myspace forever...it's an easy target.
I've seen lists of known passwords and common passwords....including mine.
I have also caught the pishing sites asking for my password a few times...
It is always smart to keep an eye out...and have a personal, unique password.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There shouldn't be any private information on your myspace anyway, so its odd that anyone would bother trying to get the passwords for it.

General tip that will prevent 99.9% of these things from working; anytime you get an email asking you to log onto some website, don't follow the link in the email, but instead go to the main website of the company and follow that to the real login page.

Then again, an email asking you to do something like that is never real, so you can just garbage them and not do anything.

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Word of advice............

If you're already logged in and you click on a hyperlink or something that directs you to another page... and the main page pops up stating that you "must be logged in," then it's a phishing scam! Close everthing out and delete cookies (to play it safe although, they're supposedly no threat).

This would apply, not only to Myspace, but any webpage...

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koodeez

If you're already logged in and you click on a hyperlink or something that directs you to another page... and the main page pops up stating that you "must be logged in," then it's a phishing scam! Close everthing out and delete cookies (to play it safe although, they're supposedly no threat).

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachelh1018

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!
Me neither!

You learn something new every day.
This is one reason why I don't trust computers: someone always seems to find a way to abuse one.

Thanks for the info! My son was trying to talk me into joining MySpace, but I just didn't feel right about it.
I'm now glad I didn't. I'll have to let him know about this!

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

There shouldn't be any private information on your myspace anyway, so its odd that anyone would bother trying to get the passwords for it.

General tip that will prevent 99.9% of these things from working; anytime you get an email asking you to log onto some website, don't follow the link in the email, but instead go to the main website of the company and follow that to the real login page.

Then again, an email asking you to do something like that is never real, so you can just garbage them and not do anything.
Many kids have pages on MySpace and most of them aren't very security savouy and put all kinds of things and information on their pages and click all kinds of links which in turn can compromise the security of their parents' computer which could have banking information etc on it.

People don't phish for nothing. They do it not only because they can but because it turns out lucrative for them in the end too. If there weren't finanical gains to be had they wouldn't bother phishing for passwords on MySpace. But they bank on naive kids who pretty much spill their guts of all things personal.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There may not be too many personal, financial things on MySpace, but they are banking on the fact that people are lazy and use the same username and password for multiple sites - including sites that would possibly have their financial information (i.e. shopping sites, Ebay, Paypal, etc.). I know that I have a different password and username for anything that has sensitive info on it, but I would bet a lot of people don't.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally if I do click on a suspect site, I just look at the address of the site (in my address bar). You can also preview the link in the lower left corner of your browser. If the address is different from the actualy site, I would report the email and delete it.

You can report the email to either your ISP (or email provider) or send to this site: http://www.antiphishing.org/

BTW phishing isn't hacking. Phishing is just sending out emails in an effort to gain information such as your social security number, credit cards, etc. It can lead to hacking, but its not hacking.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Argh!! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks...they changed the format!! I'm so confused!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koodeez

Reading this again makes me wonder about something: I've had this happen while in the middle of posting a reply on TCS, where I get "kicked off" and have to log back in again. Would this be the same thing as a phishing scam??

~KK~

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl2000

Mine was phished a while back. I had to change my password.
My friends & brothers were too, they just changed their passwords. I see pages getting hacked into everyday almost.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Reading this again makes me wonder about something: I've had this happen while in the middle of posting a reply on TCS, where I get "kicked off" and have to log back in again. Would this be the same thing as a phishing scam??

~KK~
No...a phishing scam is when you read an email that pretends to be a legit email when it really isn't. Usually it tells you that you need to re enter personal information such as credit card, birthday or social security number or other private information.
The link will make you think that you're going to a legit site to enter the information (such as eBay or Paypal) but it really isn't.

What you're talking about is an automatic timeout from the TCS server. It's a safety precaution by most databases to make sure that someone doesn't try to take over your session.

To avoid this, check the "Remember Me" next to your username. Then everytime you access the TCS site, you'll automatically login.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

There may not be too many personal, financial things on MySpace, but they are banking on the fact that people are lazy and use the same username and password for multiple sites - including sites that would possibly have their financial information (i.e. shopping sites, Ebay, Paypal, etc.). I know that I have a different password and username for anything that has sensitive info on it, but I would bet a lot of people don't.
That's true - I used to have the same password for everything, but not anymore! In this day and age there's too many clever people out there with nothing better to do with their time than steal other people's hard-earned money. The more diverse you are, the better.

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

~KK~
NO, There is a difference.... when you leave the computer w/ yourself logged in and show no keyboard/ mouse activity.. after a certain amount of time, certain websites will log you out due to inactivity... mostly for security issues. Many people forget to log out sometimes and considering that you might be on a public computer... someone else might come along and start fiddling w/ your account. (an example) I'm sure as organized and well structure as this website is (compliment...hehehehe), they are helping to protect your account.

As far as phishing.... like someone else said in this thread... it is email scams (what started the term) but has also been broaden to telephone scams and as original poster stated, website login in counterfeitinig. They are "fishing" for for personal info...

Phishing is anything that is trying to get your personal information such as credit cards info, usernames, passwords... basically anything that helps w/ identity theft.

Hope this helps...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Koodeez, and LunasMom, for your info!
I'm still fairly new to all this computer jazz and am still learning, so please forgive an illiterate computer dummy!

~KK~

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*runs to change myspace password*

Ahh! I am probably one of the guilties that doesn't use a bunch of different passwords. I don't want to keep up with them!