Help Kitten won't stop meowing! I'm getting very frustrated!

andreanne1422

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a little boy kitten on monday this week. There was an add for free kittens so I called and went to pick one up. I already have a puppy so we wanted to get a kitten that would bond with our puppy. The lady said that he was 5 and a half weeks old I thought it was pretty early but she told me that it was fine. So we took a little taby kitten home. He bond wonderfully with our puppy and they love to sleep together. He seems very healthy and we're going to take him for his first check up when he's 8 weeks old. He's now 6 weeks and 1 day. Anyways here's my problem he won't stop meowing. Day or night you name it. The only time that we have peace and quiet it's when he's sleeping or eating, other then that it's meow meow meow. I have very little patience left! I'm desperate for a solution. Any help would be fantastic.

xylinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it sounds like he is missing his mom/sibs he was way to young to have left his mom. if he is eating/ pooping fine I would try to comfort him or put him in a crate with a heating pad [on low and under a towel and have a small ticking clock under the towel as well. that what worked with one of the kittens we found, that and giving him slightly warmed kitten milk. good luck

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree. Another thing you can do is rig up a pouch and carry him around like a baby next to your heart. He's missing his fur-family. He'll be better in a couple of weeks.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

He was definately taken waaayyy too early from mom, which is why he is exhibiting the behaviors he is.

Is he eating enough OK?
Is he pooping?

Those would be my two main concerns. I'd make sure he's got plenty of canned food every day....and make sure he's using the litterbox. At that young, with a switch of foods/being taken from mom....his little digestive tract could be pretty messed up.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I knew better, I adopted a kitten from a friend at 6 weeks. She was actually ok, except for the first couple of days. I did have to sleep on the floor with her for a couple of nights. It's just really early for them to separate from mom, as opposed to dogs, that can separate at 6 or 7 weeks. Just keep watching him, making sure he is healthy, and baby him a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andreanne1422

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's eating great, he has quite the appetite, he's quite the messy eater tho.
As for pooping and peeing he has full cells no diarreah, as for peeing he's doing that too. He's never had any accidents, always in the litter box.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we got tsar she was 10 weeks old she cried the whole first week if we were in a different room than her, or she wandered into another room and got "lost". I felt so bad for her
She still cries sometimes, but I think she knows it gets her attention so sometimes I think she's faking. LOL 6 weeks sounds super young, he must be tiny!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's just a little tiny baby and as he was taken from his Mum WAY too early his meowing would be almost entirely (if not completely) because of that. It sounds like you are doing the right things - you'll just need to make sure he is warm and comfortable and happy, eating and pooping properly, and that he isn't left to his own devices too much so that he could get lost or hurt or anxious. It's hard, because you don't want him to form life-long problems with separation anxiety, but it's helpful that he's bonded so well with your puppy. Any pics you can post?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might also get him a little stuffed toy (no chewable pieces) he can have as a "surrogate" mom/sibs. Otherwise, know that his behavior is totally normal and in a few weeks, this will pass.

Stephanie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by andreanne1422

He's eating great, he has quite the appetite, he's quite the messy eater tho.
As for pooping and peeing he has full cells no diarreah, as for peeing he's doing that too. He's never had any accidents, always in the litter box.
that is because his mom never had the chance to teach him that. She also teaches him the litterbox and really helps ingrain it into their memory so hopefully he never has any problems with that. He should still be nursing

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else...he is WAY to early to be taken away from his mother and siblings. He misses them and that is why he is crying. Cuddle him..give him a blanket to snuggle with and/or a stuffed animal.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vrgchs

I agree with everyone else...he is WAY to early to be taken away from his mother and siblings. He misses them and that is why he is crying. Cuddle him..give him a blanket to snuggle with and/or a stuffed animal.
I had a little orphan girl recently, she meowed if I left a room. I ended up packing her around for a few weeks, she is still cuddly but not as needy