Will male cats.....

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try to mate with spayed females before they get neutered? Kitto is going to get neutered in 2 weeks. I normally do pediatric s/n but with his initial test results for FIV being positive, we wanted to retest him, and he needed to get healthy, he was so pitiful when I found him. Now he tests negative
but he is cryptorchid so the surgery is a bit more complicated and our vet went on vacation, soooooo, he's almost 6 months old. I thought at first he was just wrestling with my 2 females,both spayed, but they are HOWLING mad at him, and it looks to me like he is trying to mate with them! Doodle scratched him on the nose, but he is still trying. I hope he will calm down after his surgery, he is driving them all craZY. There is no way he is ever allowed out and doesn't ever try so there is no way he will mate with any other cats. He isn't spraying, he is just jumping on all of them.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they will, they also will try sometimes after they've been neutured. Even male kittens that have had the surgery at 3 months, will try sometimes. It's just their instinct. You could do like I have and find them a stuffed animal thats about the size of a cat, and redirect his passion to it. I had a toy groundhog that was my boys' passion toy. It made him leave the girls alone!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ROFL howling at taterbug's post.
Yes, she's so right.
So why don't you try getting them the feline equivalent of an inflatable friend?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be sexual given his age. Try to discourage him doing it. You may have to cage him or put him in a room by himself till he's neutered. It will take about a month after being neutered to get all the hormones out - so make sure he stays inside the house. He can still get a unspayed female pregnant during that time.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
put the girls seperate from the boys or you might have a few surprises when you do take them in to be spayed.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Yes they will, they also will try sometimes after they've been neutured. Even male kittens that have had the surgery at 3 months, will try sometimes. It's just their instinct. You could do like I have and find them a stuffed animal thats about the size of a cat, and redirect his passion to it. I had a toy groundhog that was my boys' passion toy. It made him leave the girls alone!
I will not ask how one redirects...
...thanks for sharing

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Yes, she's so right.
So why don't you try getting them the feline equivalent of an inflatable friend?
Hey..it works!!
They will leave the spayed females alone!

Originally Posted by cat52

I will not ask how one redirects...
...thanks for sharing
You just say...no-no...here's your lovey!!!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Yes, she's so right.

i used to have a boy named "baby" that really had the hots for a stuffed monkey i won at the carnival

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington, though neutered, kept trying to mount Biscotte (she was very patient with him most of the time) and Persil (she whacked him!) and then me! But I have managed to redirect him to a stuffed rabbit that I kept shoving under him every time I saw him do anything. Now I feel almost embarrassed if I walk into my bedroom and there he is on the bed having it away with his rabbit. He rarely goes for any of us any more, I don't know what the rabbit has that we don't.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys are both neutered and on 2 occassions I've caught Radar trying to do the deed with Sonic. Sonic is very much the dominant cat, but on both occassions he let Radar scruff him and rub against his rump without fuss which surprised me! Got me working out what colour kittens they could produce if it were physically possible* which I suppose makes me a little odd
Radar also has a penchant for soft toys, just make sure whatever you provide can go in the washing machine!

*(in case anyone's wondering, I came up with black & white, seal point & white, chocolate & white, chocolate point & white, all carrying dilute- both Radar and Sonic must carry the brown gene and the colourpoint gene and Radar almost certainly has 2 copies of the white spotting gene)

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

My boys are both neutered and on 2 occassions I've caught Radar trying to do the deed with Sonic. Sonic is very much the dominant cat, but on both occassions he let Radar scruff him and rub against his rump without fuss which surprised me! Got me working out what colour kittens they could produce if it were physically possible* which I suppose makes me a little odd
Radar also has a penchant for soft toys, just make sure whatever you provide can go in the washing machine!

*(in case anyone's wondering, I came up with black & white, seal point & white, chocolate & white, chocolate point & white, all carrying dilute- both Radar and Sonic must carry the brown gene and the colourpoint gene and Radar almost certainly has 2 copies of the white spotting gene)
I wouldn't think that was odd, just imaginative!!
And what beutiful kittens they could have...if they could!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try giving Kitto a toy, everyone is spayed so there is no need to separate them except that they are getting annoyed. But they can handle him, he's not a crazed molester!
I actually do have a large stuffed cat that looks just like the object of his affections, Doodle. He seems to prefer orange girls. And I have tried to figure out also what their babies would have looked like, they would have been gorgeous.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Hey..it works!!
They will leave the spayed females alone!

You just say...no-no...here's your lovey!!!
That's just way too funny?

I should try that w/ Geronimo! Maybe he'll start leaving poor Gabriel alone!

~KK~