I don't think I like the new PetSmart

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They just opened a store here and today I decided to check it out.

My first complaint was the parking. They only have two handicapped parking spaces and both were occupied.

When I drove into the lot there was a car parked in the spot right next to the handicapped spaces. This would have been my next choice if it were empty. There was a girl sitting in this car like she was waiting for someone. Being stubborn I circled the lot a few times. I figured I would wait her out.

At one point I noticed a space right behind this girl. Still not a bad spot but very small and not really a good choice. Finally after circling like a vulture for longer than I care to admit I decided to take that spot.

No sooner had I parked and started to get out the
starts her car and drives off.
And before I can even start my car to move into this space someone else drove in. Needless to say I was not happy.

My instinct at this point was to just back up and go home but I was curious to see the new store (we don't have any here) and I had promised Chester that I would buy him some treats.

The store was very nice. But the cat department was clear across the store in the back corner right next to the grooming center. Did I also forget to mention that there were loads of people in the store and most of them had dogs with them.

Don't get me wrong I like dogs. I always talk to the dogs that live in my building when I see them. Heck I am constantly reminding myself that I need to also talk to the person at the other end of the leash as well.

What I don't like are dog fights, growling, barking and having to watch where I step.

That could be the subject of another post because I just don't understand why people want to bring their dogs out shopping. It must just be the difference between dog and cat people. I would never dream of bringing Chester to the pet store to shop with me. In the first place he would be petrified. Second he would probably want to buy more stuff than I do.

In the end I just bought three different kinds of treats. A bag of food that turned out to be the wrong flavor. And a cat toy that he barely looked at.

I really wanted to buy some cat litter and replacement refills for his alpine scratcher. And I just remembered that I wanted to search for a new litter scoop. One that has a long handle and has finer sifting surface than the one
I have.

Petco has no worries about me changing stores. In their store the cat stuff is right up front. I don't have to walk so much or pass by the small animal department where I would be tempted to buy some.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have complained about the lack of handicap parking if I were you. Don't they have to provide a certain amount of spaces?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about going back, Petsmart is in cahoots with breeding mills for their birds and small animals.
I hate that any store sells live animals, but at least other choose to keep numbers small, and deal with local breeders instead of factory breeders.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate when people bring their dogs into Petsmart and don't clean up after them. I mean they even have a dispenser right there at the store with bags to clean up their messes and the owners just leave the mess for someone else to clean up!! If your not gonna clean up after your dog don't take them to the store!!! Some people are just so rude!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're Petco peeps all the way.
And btw, Chester sure is handsome in that beautiful new siggy of his!

We DO go to PetsMart on occasion, and yes, we have their cards too.
But mostly, we go to Petco.

I am NOT a dog person at all (there's nothing wrong with a dog that being a cat wouldn't make better, I always say!) and I don't like the doggy atmosphere at either of the stores, but it seems to suddenly be a dog society here.
Don't ask me -- I just live here! WITH MY CATS!!!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I bet it gets better after the grand opening hullaballoo dies down...

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it probably will be better once the grand opening is over with.

Personally, I shop where I can get the best prices be it Petco or Petsmart or somewhere else.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved to Iowa 3 years ago I was a big Petsmart fan. Where we lived before we only had Petco. This year I have found myself switching back to Petco. Petco's sale prices have been better.

I've had a heck of a time finding what I want in stock at Petsmart.
Plus their prices sure jumped after the recalls. I went a couple days ago, thinking I would get a Feliway refill only to find our Petsmart no longer stocks it. What's up with that?
So I drove all the way across town to Farm & Fleet anyway. If I would have known I wouldn't have even gone to Petsmart that day.

So mostly I've found myself switching back to Petco recently. Everything's in stock, I can find it, and the service is better.

Editted to add: I spend a lot every month on canned food, but lately it's been Petco and Target that I buy it at. They have it in stock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I would have complained about the lack of handicap parking if I were you. Don't they have to provide a certain amount of spaces?
I don't know what the rules are for the number of space. Actually the parking didn't bother me as much as the walk to the cat department. At Petco the cats are right up front on the left and you don't have to wade thru the dogs to get what you want.

Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

We're Petco peeps all the way.
And btw, Chester sure is handsome in that beautiful new siggy of his!
Thank you! I think he is very handsome but then I am biased.

The girl at the register asked me how many cats did I have? Maybe it was the six kinds of treats that I was buying.
When I told her just one she commented that he must be spoiled.

I should have been insulted but I wasn't. All kitties deserve to be spoiled.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It must depend on the store. In our Petsmat the cat things are on one side and the dogs on the other. You still have to walk through the small animal and fish things though. I bet it will get better once it's been open a bit. I don't usually see that many dogs in our store.

My dogs (who live with my parents) would LOVE to go to Petsmart and see the people there. They'd just love the attention, not to mention the fact that they always have dog treats at the register.
They've been groomed there before, but no regular trips. Both can be piddlers when they get too excited.

Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I don't know what the rules are for the number of space. Actually the parking didn't bother me as much as the walk to the cat department. At Petco the cats are right up front on the left and you don't have to wade thru the dogs to get what you want.

Thank you! I think he is very handsome but then I am biased.

The girl at the register asked me how many cats did I have? Maybe it was the six kinds of treats that I was buying.
When I told her just one she commented that he must be spoiled.

I should have been insulted but I wasn't. All kitties deserve to be spoiled.
I wouldn't find that offensive. Unless she was implying that you shouldn't? I guess it depends on tone. I could see myself saying the same thing she did.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They just opened a store here and today I decided to check it out.

My first complaint was the parking. They only have two handicapped parking spaces and both were occupied.
This is an issue with the landlord, not Petsmart. MOst businesses rarely own the property that they're on, so most likely they have a landlord.

By law the landlord is suppose to incorporate x amount of handicapped spaces per 1000 sq feet of property at each store. Check with the city that the Petsmart is in to find out how many handicapped spaces there should be. The city regulates this, not Petsmart.

When I drove into the lot there was a car parked in the spot right next to the handicapped spaces. This would have been my next choice if it were empty. There was a girl sitting in this car like she was waiting for someone. Being stubborn I circled the lot a few times. I figured I would wait her out.

At one point I noticed a space right behind this girl. Still not a bad spot but very small and not really a good choice. Finally after circling like a vulture for longer than I care to admit I decided to take that spot.

No sooner had I parked and started to get out the
starts her car and drives off.
And before I can even start my car to move into this space someone else drove in. Needless to say I was not happy.
This has nothing to do with Petsmart, just lazy people.

The store was very nice. But the cat department was clear across the store in the back corner right next to the grooming center. Did I also forget to mention that there were loads of people in the store and most of them had dogs with them.

Don't get me wrong I like dogs. I always talk to the dogs that live in my building when I see them. Heck I am constantly reminding myself that I need to also talk to the person at the other end of the leash as well.

In the end I just bought three different kinds of treats. A bag of food that turned out to be the wrong flavor. And a cat toy that he barely looked at.

I really wanted to buy some cat litter and replacement refills for his alpine scratcher. And I just remembered that I wanted to search for a new litter scoop. One that has a long handle and has finer sifting surface than the one
I have.

Petco has no worries about me changing stores. In their store the cat stuff is right up front. I don't have to walk so much or pass by the small animal department where I would be tempted to buy some.
Petco also allows animals on leashes into its facility. Everything depends on the demographics. Perhaps there are just more dog owners than cat people in your area.

I'm sorry that your first experience with Petsmart was horrible and from the sounds of it you should continue to shop at Petco. They may have found that there is a high dog population in the area that Petco just doesn't cater to. However, if you're interested in going back to Petsmart (perhaps its closer), definitely contact their manager in regards of your experience. Often times there are several bumps that the store manager wasn't aware of before opening the doors.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your experience was not so good. I've never had a problem with Petsmart or Petco - will use either

I've taken Keno to Petsmart lots of times. She's well bahaved, loves people, but doesn't like other dogs as much. I used to take my one Cornish Rex (Tommy) to Petsmart. He loved going. One of the girls fell in love with him and Tommy used to help her out on the counter by inspecting what others were buying. He never tried to run, jump or anything. He loved people and would strut up and down to the amazement of customers

If we would be out somewhere and Charlie was in the car and needed something from Petco/Petsmart, he'd go in with us

Actually both are good places if you want to socialize the cat/kitten for future shows

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Petco by me is waaay more expensive than PetsMart. The only thing I buy at Petco is Natural Balance kibble & cans. I get my Welness at a local pet store. I buy all my Friskies at PetsMart [33 cents a can]. Friskies are for the stray & feral I feed. My gang likes it also but they have to share one can between the six of them.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't get me wrong I like dogs.
What I don't like are dog fights, growling, barking and having to watch where I step.

That could be the subject of another post because I just don't understand why people want to bring their dogs out shopping.
Don't blame the dogs, it is the owners. They shouldn't get in your way or go up to you at all unless invited by you personally and given permission from the owner. It isn't a hard concept for dogs to understand, all mine have caught onto that easily, they don't bother people. Dog shows are filled with dogs every place you look, they don't have fighting, growling, etc. Much of this has to do with responsible vs. non-responsible owners and their behavior depends much on the way you handle, lead, train, and socialize your dogs.

I love bringing my dogs shopping and out and about places, and they love it too. It is always a good experience. They are very well behaved in public and you would never even know I have dogs by my side unless you could see them. They never ever get in people's way. I have to watch other people's dogs very close in pet stores, as they mostly don't seem dog savy and their dogs are generally not under control. But it is a good place to socialize puppies, and if you have ever owned a dog you will understand socialization is very important!

Also, Service Dogs really help their people by this important job of helping their owners in public. Although I have only seen one Service Dog in Petsmart before.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Petsmart better than Petco. Right now in the area I live there is no Petsmart, but there's a Petco up the street. While the staff is nice, the place is dingy and small, and the cat section almost seems like an afterthought. Their prices on food is horrible; I refuse to pay double the amount for the exact same 3.5 lb. bag of food I can get in the grocery stores for $5-$6. Even in St. Louis where there were a couple stores of each, Petsmart was always the better place for selection. I'm not sure about prices because I didn't go in them regularly for the last few years between going to college/my dog moving to Florida/me adopting Loki. I moved to where I am now shortly after adopting him, but I found everything I needed at Petsmart, though I went to Petco, too.

That really sucks about the breeing programs, though.

Tricia

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PookieBoy

Petco by me is waaay more expensive than PetsMart. The only thing I buy at Petco is Natural Balance kibble & cans. I get my Welness at a local pet store. I buy all my Friskies at PetsMart [33 cents a can]. Friskies are for the stray & feral I feed. My gang likes it also but they have to share one can between the six of them.
Lately Petco has had Friskies on sale for 30 cents a can and Fancy Feast for as low as 40 cents a can. Petsmart has only been close on the Friskies prices, but still not that low. Normally I buy FF in a 24 pack at Target, but Petco's sales have been better this month. Friskies I buy wherever the best price is.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your Petsmart experience wasn't so plesant for you. It does however sound like it's not an issue with the store, rather than them allowing dogs and in their store a hard time finding a parking spot suitable for your needs (i would ask a manger if there are any plans to add an additional handi-cap spot to the lot). I LOVE our Petsmart. I work at our city's animal shelter and thanks to our new Petsmart store opening up a little satellite location within their building for us- we've had hundreds of adoptions! They've saved countless lives! They also make a nice donation to our shelter for every adoption that results on their location. We are allowed to keep quite a few kitties there in the little condos they have set up for them- so as a result the public gets to see them and learn more about our shelter, adoption, and responsible ownership. They are also wonderful about letting us take our dogs up there for adoption days several times a month.

For those reasons, i'm a huge fan
They've saved sooo many wonderful furbabies! I also like the staff much better at our Petsmart than at our local Petco- they seem to be quite friendlier (granted though attitude depends on the individual, so you can't base it on the store). I also enjoy getting to bring in my pets with me because there are other pet lovers there that care about their furbabies as much as i do.

My dogs have never had an "accident" in public. They walk on their leashes and are very well behaved. They enjoy going "shopping" and getting to pick out a new toy every now and then, and i love having a nice store that will allow me to bring them in. Petsmart isn't just for dogs though- i've taken my kitty Velvet on numerous occassions to Petsmart and Petco
She walks on a harness/leash better than most dogs
She enjoys going!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aileen06

I hate when people bring their dogs into Petsmart and don't clean up after them. I mean they even have a dispenser right there at the store with bags to clean up their messes and the owners just leave the mess for someone else to clean up!! If your not gonna clean up after your dog don't take them to the store!!! Some people are just so rude!!
What kind of horribly misbehaved animals go to the bathroom inside. If they can not control their bowels they should not be brought inside the store. Same if they are doing it out of fear. They obviously cant be around other animals, so why are they in the store. I have seen this several times. . . It makes me nuts!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

What kind of horribly misbehaved animals go to the bathroom inside. If they can not control their bowels they should not be brought inside the store. Same if they are doing it out of fear. They obviously cant be around other animals, so why are they in the store. I have seen this several times. . . It makes me nuts!
A lot of dogs get excited and cant help it. It happens... mostly with younger dogs though.
Hopefully things will get better after the store has been open and the novelty of it has worn off. I refuse to ever go to any store on opening day! We love going to petsmart here. But we dont even have a petco... so there arent a lot of options. My best friend and I go after work a lot with her Sheltie puppy and she adores going. She just loves being around the people.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently went to Petsmart and was very pleased. I also take my dog with. My dog loves going away and there are not many places you can take a dog to. I do not like the Petco in my area because their prices are way higher than the 3 other pet stores (Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, and Chow Hound).