Phlemy throat clearing

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know anyone that makes disgusting, phlemy throat clearing noises? DH does it after he eats. I've asked him why and he says he's clearing leftover food in his throat. It's so nasty but I've learned to live with it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH does after brushing his teeth. It's a gross habit that I've just had to learn to live with.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Michael does it too. I just try to ignore it. I don't see how anyone could cough up phlem and spit it out!!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeew
I hate that! I have one brother who does that often and it just grosses me out.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Do you know anyone that makes disgusting, phlemy throat clearing noises? DH does it after he eats. I've asked him why and he says he's clearing leftover food in his throat. It's so nasty but I've learned to live with it.
Yes, I do and I can't help it if I have a phlem problem. Everybody I work with has to make a loud throat clearing noise everytime they walk past my desk just to make fun of me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachelh1018

I don't see how anyone could cough up phlem and spit it out!!
It's nastier to swallow it... mind you I don't go around making awful noises, I just have a constant post nasal drip (result of a really bad cold my parents didn't want to take me to the doctor for as a child
).

Who knows? Maybe treating the cause, if it can be treated, would help their phlem problems? Instead of complaining about it, just be glad you don't have it.

Originally Posted by Ellen13

Everybody I work with has to make a loud throat clearing noise everytime they walk past my desk just to make fun of me.
That's horrible! What do you work with, a bunch of children?! People should be more mature.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My FIL does it because of allergy problems. Drives me nuts too but I don't see him that often. Usually when we do it's at a restaurant or here at my house when he's driving through to visit a friend in New York. So between the cats and just restaurant scents making his allergies act up, I think we see the worst of it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to have a manager with the "male snort". The male snort basically consisted of inhaling the snot and then swallowing it (So Snort and swallow). So, So so disgusting and I dumped a guy quickly when he did that.

I find that smokers mostly have that problem. My sister use to (don't know if she still does) hack up hairballs in the morning after a long night at the bar

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachelh1018

I don't see how anyone could cough up phlem and spit it out!!
You've GOT to cough that crap up & then spit it out. Otherwise it just hangs in your throat if you try to swallow it.

Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick now.

Mine is caused by sinus drip. Good thing I live alone!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guilty of doing so, although try to in privacy. I work in a dusty warehouse and definitely have to clear the sinuses some times!

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's horrible! What do you work with, a bunch of children?! People should be more mature.[/quote]

Yes, you would think people would be more mature in an office setting. I'm the switchboard operator and I just can't get up and go into another room everytime I need to clear my throat.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Due to my lupus i have a never ending congested throat, and they tried to put me on decongestant but the insurance would not cover it and they wanted to charge me 150.00 for 30 days supply. I told them to shove it, and have to live with it. . .

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blech! I used to work in an office where one of the guys who worked there did that! You could hear him across the office and through closed doors! He also did that loud snorting sound to clear his sinuses.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Gross. I've never heard Tristan do it. But in the mornings when dad wakes up he does it in any sink he can find (kitchen/bathroom/laundry) and spits it out *barf* and he doesn't even turn on the tap to wash it away *shudders*

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

Due to my lupus i have a never ending congested throat, and they tried to put me on decongestant but the insurance would not cover it and they wanted to charge me 150.00 for 30 days supply. I told them to shove it, and have to live with it. . .
I've been on decongestants with past colds. Truly amazing to be able to breath through both sides of my nose, at the same time!
But I found myself getting very dependent on them. When it would be getting close to the time to take another I would stuff up horribly, worse then I usually was before I had them.
Who knows though, maybe you'll eventually get put on some medication with the lovely side effect of halfway drying everything out, dry eyes, nose, throat, and mouth. That's what flexeril does to me.
(and as my one thread indicated, I can't get back in to change that for a while)

Still, you may be able to find another cheaper decongestant. There has to be older ones you can get generics of.
Originally Posted by Ellen13

Yes, you would think people would be more mature in an office setting. I'm the switchboard operator and I just can't get up and go into another room everytime I need to clear my throat.
I'm not sure if it would help you much or not, but could you keep a thermos of hot coffee/tea/coco at your desk? Sometimes a hot drink helps a little. Also I've learn over the years that drinking more water really does help thin stuff out and make it easier to get rid of. (I probably grossed everyone out with that.
)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be me.
Between my asthma, allergies and the respiratory infection I had this last winter, it's no fun to be around me when I have a coughing spell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't trying to be rude when I made the post about throat clearing. I have sinus issues to and do it sometimes. I guess I was just stating that it is gross when DH does it because he's trying to clear out leftover food. I hope no one is angry with me.