my mad kitty

lisa roark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am new to this forum, I posted in another section earlier but have had no response. I have a 4 year old cat named flash, my husband does not believe that you take your animals to the vet until they get sick and unfortunately flash did just that yesterday. I took her to the vet for the first time in 4 years and she did not like it at all. They went to examine her and she did okay for just a little while and then she did not want them messing with her anymore. The Dr. in turn told me in order for him to determine what was wrong with her they would need to sedate her, I not knowing what else to do let them. She did in fact have a UTI and when she woke up she has been mad ever since.

Yesterday I thought if I just left her alone she would get over it, after taking 3 people to get her out of her kitty carrier, she sat by the door and growled at us all night but just was mad. This morning when I woke up she was sitting on the coffee table and came into the kitchen with me, she started out fussing at me and that quickly turned to aggression, she started hissing, growling and screaming at me at the top of her lungs. I jumped up on the cabinet and distracted her so I could get out of the kitchen, then she was in one end of the house holding me off and I was in the other end crying and trying to get away from her. I put her food out and thought if I just left her alone that maybe she would rest and be better when I got home. My husband got home first and she let him pet her and hold her, but just as soon as I came in the door and spoke to her she started all over again, hissing and growling and backing me out of the room.

Right now I have her locked in one room and bedroom with her food and litter. The vet that I took her too said if she does not improve in the next few days I may have to have animal control come and get her and put her down, I don't want to even think about doing that. I got the cat when I lost my son and she has been my best friend when I did not have anyone else, please help me I don't know what to do. Could the valium that they sedated her be doing this or is she mad or has it changed her for good, I am heart broken please help me.
Thanks,
lisa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa roark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am new to this forum, I posted in another section earlier but have had no response. I have a 4 year old cat named flash, my husband does not believe that you take your animals to the vet until they get sick and unfortunately flash did just that yesterday. I took her to the vet for the first time in 4 years and she did not like it at all. They went to examine her and she did okay for just a little while and then she did not want them messing with her anymore. The Dr. in turn told me in order for him to determine what was wrong with her they would need to sedate her, I not knowing what else to do let them. She did in fact have a UTI and when she woke up she has been mad ever since.

Yesterday I thought if I just left her alone she would get over it, after taking 3 people to get her out of her kitty carrier, she sat by the door and growled at us all night but just was mad. This morning when I woke up she was sitting on the coffee table and came into the kitchen with me, she started out fussing at me and that quickly turned to aggression, she started hissing, growling and screaming at me at the top of her lungs. I jumped up on the cabinet and distracted her so I could get out of the kitchen, then she was in one end of the house holding me off and I was in the other end crying and trying to get away from her. I put her food out and thought if I just left her alone that maybe she would rest and be better when I got home. My husband got home first and she let him pet her and hold her, but just as soon as I came in the door and spoke to her she started all over again, hissing and growling and backing me out of the room.

Right now I have her locked in one room and bedroom with her food and litter. The vet that I took her too said if she does not improve in the next few days I may have to have animal control come and get her and put her down, I don't want to even think about doing that. I got the cat when I lost my son and she has been my best friend when I did not have anyone else, please help me I don't know what to do. Could the valium that they sedated her be doing this or is she mad or has it changed her for good, I am heart broken please help me.
Thanks,
lisa

meower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry no one has responded to you before. I don't really know what might be wrong but You might want to try getting some plug in(wall outlet) feliways. It will hopefully calm your cat down. I brought home a new cat that ended up hating my existing cat and kept on attacking him. I bought several plug-in feliways and put them around the house and she calmed down quite a bit. The pet store should have them or you can order them online.
Good Luck.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Lisa what a horrible experience. Someone surely will come around and be able to give you some advice.

I would be very limited in any advice because I have never had to deal with that before. But I would put her in a room with the lights low, with her litter box, food and water to help her calm down.

You could also play some really soft music that works for feral cats to calm down.

The last thing I would do is have animal control come, I dont think that was the right advice from that vet

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I would throw that vet's name and number in the trash. agressive behavior can be worked with before extreme results like he suggested.

Try the feliaway first, as Meower suggested. This has a pherimone ingrediant that helps calm the cat. Then try just sitting in the same room with her. Bring a book (and wear thick clothes incase she attacks again) and sit in the room with her for an hour and read or some other quiet, calming thing.

Another thought I have would be the side effects of the UTI medicine? Are those anything that reflects what she's doing?

Lastly once she's done with the meds for the UTI, try going to a health store and buying a non-alcoholic version of St. John's Wort in liquid. Then add that to her water.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your original post was hard to read... I copied to microsoft word and changed it to sentence case. Here we go.

Thanks,
lisa
Have you tried treating her like a feral? That is--just completely ignoring her and giving her her space for a few weeks? As far as she can tell, you just attacked her; and she's scared; she doesn't know that the vet was meant to help her feel better. Time could also help because the painful UTI will begin to clear up and she'll have less stress on her system.

Could she be having a reaction to the Valium, or to other meds the vet gave her?

Feliway diffusers... often work on scared cats, and safe to use...

I'm wondering whether this is defensive or active aggression.

Defensive: She backs away from you, standing sideways; folds her ears back, and hisses. If you get too close, she attacks.

Aggresive: She stands full-on, stares at you directly, and advances, tail lashing. Generally yowling and hissing, trying to intimidate you; trying to back you into a corner.

Defensive means she's afraid, aggressive means she's angry...

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Flash is angry with you right now and associating you with the vet experience. After all, you are the one who stuck him in a carrier, took him to a strange place full of weird smells, let strangers poke and prode him and give him a medication that made him feel funny. From him viewpoint, it's all your fault and for no reason.

So leave him alone for a few days, let him get over his anger and finish punishing you. Gradually start talking to him while your husband holds him.

It's hard to handle scared cats, so I don't know if the vet was appropriate. But I do think that he was out of line to suggest putting Flash down at this point.

Give it some time. Good luck.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound weird but I think she is associating your smell with the bad vet experience. I would not wear any of the clothes you wore then and use a much stronger perfume or deodorant than usual, even go to the extreme of dabbing both you and her with the same thing - when it is cats who are not recognising each other after vet visits it is vanilla essence that is recommended. DOn't panic - I am sure there are ways round this and all will be OK.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

First off, I would throw that vet's name and number in the trash. agressive behavior can be worked with before extreme results like he suggested.

I would be very concerned that she is having some sort of reaction to the medication they gave her. Is there a different vet you can call?

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you said she was 4yrs old. has she ever been to the vet before this? it could be that the whole thing scared her so bad and she is associating you with the experince with the vet. i only ask because you said that your husband doesnt believe in going to the vet unless the animal is sick.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, friend, I'm so glad you've come to us, welcome, to you and your family! Poor Flash, she's having such a difficult time with this. It sounds to me as if she is exhibiting this behavior that is so out of character for her for a couple of reasons. First of all, a UTI can be very painful for a kitty, so she may be irritable just as we may be if we don't feel well. Also, her trip to the Vet was so upsetting. It is not at all uncommon for cats after such an experience to behave in an irritable, even aggressive manner. She needs a little time and space as she recovers from this stress. You're so smart to have allowed her to be in the bedroom alone for a little while, making sure her food, water and litter were close by. I really feel her unusual behavior is only temporary and will subside as she begins to feel better. My Sierra has a terrible time at the Vet and becomes extremely stressed, not only in the office but for days after. I've seen her go from my sweet baby girl to wild vicious lion in a matter of seconds. We're blessed to have found a Vet who very patiently works with us. I'm in NC with you, please send me a PM to let me know where you're located and perhaps we can find someone who will be more understanding to Flash's special needs!

Is she taking her antibiotic ok? It's important that she not miss a dose so that you can get rid of that nasty uti. I strongly disagree with your Vet who said she may have to be put down if she doesn't begin to improve soon. Some uti's can be stubborn, and if it doesn't respond to the initial dose of antibiotic, she may need to extend it a few more days or else try a stronger one. If your Vet is seriously of the opinion about euthanizing, please find a new Vet! Please don't allow yourself to even consider putting her down for her illness or her sudden change in behavior!

Bless you for loving and taking such wonderful care of your little girl and for being so patient with her! Sending a gentle hug to Flash for her to feel better very soon!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, thought about your smell being associated with the vet visit. Don't forget about your shoes as well as your clothes. I don't know if Lavender helps for kitties - I know it's a de-stresser for humans. Maybe if you sprayed your clothes with lavender or even feliway it would help.

I was also wondering who is giving her the medicine?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree w/ the others; get rid of that vet! An aggressive cat is no reason to have them put down; not unless it's an uncontrollable situation, and if the cat is causing serious bodily damage. There are ways to deal w/ the situation...

I can't offer any new advice other than what the others have already suggested, but I think you've done the right thing so far.
Some cats get really stressed from vet's visits, and if she's already sick and not feeling well, the experience at the vet's is probably just aggravating the situation.

Keep us updated!

~KK~