venison and green pea

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been looking through millions of foods and suggestions for my cat Shadow. She has an extremely upset tummy and needs special food. You name it, I've tried it from the perscription diets to Venison and Green Pea to organic and holistic.

Just a question out of curiousity. I found this online about Venison and Green Pea. (tried that because it has few ingredients) She threw up instantly all over the bathroom floor. Could she be allergic to the ingredients they are talking about below?? I've suspected Wheat Gluten before, BUT some foods that don't contain any gluten still bother her so I was starting to rule that out as an incorrect guess. The following is from Diamond pet food regarding FAQ's on the pet food recall and more.

Q: Do you use wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate in your foods?
A: These ingredients are used in canned products as thickening agents for gravy or as low-ash protein sources. They are also used as protein sources in dry foods. We do not use any wheat gluten and we used rice protein concentrate only in the 2 Natural Balance formulas that were recalled – Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice dry dog food and Venison & Green Pea dry cat food.

I know some of you have had success with this food and I am glad that it works for your cat. I am just trying to pinpoint what Shadow is allergic to, STILL. I wish she could talk sometimes. Right now she is doing well on Iams sensitive stomach but she stopped eating that and eating some diamond pet food (dry) that a visiting cat had with her. Now she stares at the empty bowl of the diamond and meows like she wants more. So I am going to buy some today. I am not sure of the exact brand but it had stuff in it for hair balls. I am going to ask the dealer because he is the one that sold it to my friend.

Any words of wisdom still appreciated!

Thanks,

Jenkitty

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHEAT , Barley and rye share a gluten

the gluten in oats is similiar...

rice and corn gluten are very very different

there is a potato and duck now OTC by natural balence

PEAS are a HIGH cat allergen.... "scratches head" as to why food companies are labelling hypo when it is a KNOWN allergen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to the guy that my friend gets her cat food from. He did not have a bag of diamond for sale, but had his pre-mixed stuff. This is what my friend feeds her cat.

I found out that he mixes Diamond with Max - Kitten and adds protien powder that is usually recommended for reptiles.

WHAT??? Had I known all this I woul dhave researched before my cat got into my friends cat's food. I explained to the owner that my cat Shadow had been eating this food for a week, prefering it to her Iams Sensitive stomach. She has had solid stool with no blood and she is not throwing up. Very positive. He said that the protein is good for the stomach. Is that true? Should I buy more or beware?

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes cats are carnivores so meat protein is good... I would CAUTION AGAINST using REPTILE anything for a cat...

both diamond and max cat IMHO are better than the iams

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I think I will just mix the two foods and not buy the (pre-mix) that he feeds his animals so I can bypass the reptile powder. She seems to love at least one of the two foods.

Thanks Sharky for always being such a constant support on all my food questions. What is your opinion on the Sheba little wet cans? They are just chicken, water and something gum. I give my cats this as well because I want to feed them all the same so Shadow doesn't get into anything bad. Plus Dumpster will eat only wet food. He rarely wants dry unless he's starving.

Thanks again,

jenkitty

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also - I know Iams is not the best, but I had to try something else after the last attempt failed with Holistic Select.

I think what happened was the regular flavor was out and I bought something other than Chicken and rice and her stomach went nuts again. After that she refesed to eat the Holistic select in any flavor.

Jenkitty

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sheba is good BUT IS NOT complete ... Meow mix is similiar in quality and lower $$ but is complete

have you tried something like a probiotic??

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I think I started to look into that right when Iams Sensitive Stomach came out.

Doesn't Holistic Select sell that as well? Eagle Pack right?

Meow mix - does that have red dye in it?? I think that scares me off that brand. The cost would save me a bundle though because it's a dollar a can and I feed all 4 at least one can a day if not two based on thier appetite. They are only 2.8 oz cans.

Thanks for all the info. You are a tremendous help.

jenkitty

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenkitty

No I think I started to look into that right when Iams Sensitive Stomach came out.

Doesn't Holistic Select sell that as well? Eagle Pack right?

Meow mix - does that have red dye in it?? I think that scares me off that brand. The cost would save me a bundle though because it's a dollar a can and I feed all 4 at least one can a day if not two based on thier appetite. They are only 2.8 oz cans.

Thanks for all the info. You are a tremendous help.

jenkitty
Yes eagle pack makes a probiotic , some have raved about it ... via ingrediants and strength I use others ... Bene bac and probios are two pet brands that are readily avail ... I actually use a human with baby directions

NO the MM pouches or cups have no red dye ...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may be totally out there....cuz I'm not sure I understood what I read in this thread....but have you tried a simple food such as California Natural?
(I'm trying to be useful today.
)

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried California Natural YET. LOL

I did try Holistic Select Chicken and Rice that worked well for awhile but now she rejects it.

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't want to change her food too soon since she just changed herself over to Diamond. She's only been on it a week and it was by her choice. I tried to keep the other (diamond) food locked up but she got at it and hasn't touched her other food since. If she gets sick on diamond or rejects it than I will mix with California Natural to switch over gradually.

I love my baby and I am sorry I post so much it's just a never ending question and I feel like a bad cat mommy because I haven't resolved it for her yet. Even if it was a disease at least I could treat the symptoms for her but as of yet I am stuck trying to guess at what she needs. My vet is no help

Sharky and White Cat lover I appreciate you taking the time to give me suggestions. I won't give up on my baby.

jenkitty

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes, you never do know what's wrong. You just try to learn everything you can to come up with a solution. You will figure something out eventually.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about chicken soup for the cat lover's soul? I've gotten some samples of this (the company will send you some if you email them) and my cats loved it...it also has a good list of ingredients IMO, a lot of meats. It is also supposedly cheaper than some other premium brands, but I can't varify that as I can't get it locally in my area.

Art

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

What about chicken soup for the cat lover's soul? I've gotten some samples of this (the company will send you some if you email them) and my cats loved it...it also has a good list of ingredients IMO, a lot of meats. It is also supposedly cheaper than some other premium brands, but I can't varify that as I can't get it locally in my area.

Art
NOT for a sensitive cat... lots of grains and multiple types of meat s....