Self Warming Pet Beds - Are they safe & do they work?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need something to keep the outside kitties warm this winter. I have been looking into self warming pet beds. However, I would need larger ones...so I've looked at medium-large sized doggie ones. They priced about $30/each. And I need at least 4, perhaps 6. So, I'm looking for some advice regarding them.

The benefits as I can see them:
1) no cords/electricity
2) provides constant heat
3) washable
4) no re-heating required by me

Anybody have a self warming pet bed?
Do you like it or not?
Where did you get it from?
Any other suggestions on warming pet beds?

I have looked at these, pricewise....
http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.c...-5a6c6b87e483/

But I have never heard of the company before, simply got a catalog in the mail & they seem too cheap to be worth it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one ... org purchased for Kandie but Zoey now uses it

the cats loved it ///

plain brown tabby

no

harriet carter is good"_

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So is that something you just put in their bed that they already have?

I would LOVE to get something like that for Harley & Bayley!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ones I've been looking at are actual pet beds. They've got the fleece/whatever fabric cover, the whole deal!

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this is intriguing, i'll look at the local pet shops for it. i am constructing some basic outdoor shelters and this would make it a lot more effective (assuming it works).

this sort of reminds me of these pads we used to take to outdoor stadiums, they were basically small flat beanbag chairs, full of tiny styrofoam beads. those seemed to do a good job of reflecting heat. i haven't seen them in years, but that may also be an option.

in my research for building a shelter, everyone says not to use towels or blankets, that they wick heat away from the cat. they say you should use straw, but living in brooklyn and not having a car, they might as well say to fill it with spun gold
so i'm hoping this thing is legit!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I'm afraid of Betsy.

Although, Fafeena is 14 years old & got arthritis. Molly is about 2 years old & has arthritis, I think they might really like these. The key is getting those two hogs to share with anyone else!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
likely the reason Bestys "kids" wont use is they likely are too warm... Kandies type of CRF made her colder and Zoey must just be very yin

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to check out Walgreens! I looked in Wal Mart but didn't see any & will have to check out Kmart & Shopko, too.

staceyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an outdoor male who adopted us at our weekend retreat. It is very cold in the winter so we bought him a good shelter and lined the bottom with a mylar warming insert that is to be used for inside small animal beds. We bought a large one and put it inside the shelter with a fleece blanket on top. It wraps from the bottom up to the sides of the shelter. It makes a big difference by keeping more heat inside the shelter. If you can order online, get one from Agway.com or if you live near one, see if they have them or will order for you. It was inexpensive - $15 for an extra large. You can also order the whole bed which is the warming insert and then the fleece cover for it. Another option I read is to buy a mylar blanket like they use in car emergency kits and line the inside of a shelter with it. It is also supposed to keep radiating the cat's heat back to stay inside the shelter. Hope this helps! And if anyone knows of a battery operated heater for inside a cat's shelter, let me know. All I find are electric ones. Where are all the great inventors?!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Walgreens doesn't have any.
So, I'll probably be ordering something. Gonna look at mylar blankets....never occured to me to try one of them!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Walgreens doesn't have any.
So, I'll probably be ordering something. Gonna look at mylar blankets....never occured to me to try one of them!
wow yeah myler is the material with in the beds ...

smalecd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Littleraven7726,

Do you know what the warming bed from Walgreens was called? Did you buy it recently?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by smalecd

Littleraven7726,

Do you know what the warming bed from Walgreens was called? Did you buy it recently?
I just bought it about 2 weeks ago. I think the brand was "Out!" and they are a leopard print, rolled up in a cardboard container (pink and black labeling). They were on the end of the pet aisle at the Walgreens I went to.
There was also a sign that said $5 on the display.

smalecd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks littleraven, I have 2 Walgreens nearby and will go within the next couple of days.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will have to go to Walgreens and check it out....we have a couple cats that adopted us, that refuse to come into the house. I have a bed on the porch for them. This might help with those cold nights.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
www.bargainpetstuff.com

they have some nice ones to choose from

mylar blankets are just "space blankets" if you google them you can get em for practically nothing.

for the person in the city that can't get straw, newspaper works good too, under the blankets

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they're... what, really well insulated beds? I think my two would like something like that; the thermostat's pretty low around here and the cats usually find the fluffiest things they can find to sleep on (or they sleep on me, if I'm accessible).

Could I make something like that myself? I have an awful lot of scrap cloth to use, because whenever I wear out an article of clothing, I keep it; and I scrounge garage sales for quilt scraps too; so the leftovers from my quilts stick around...

What's the 'anatomy' of a self-heated cat bed?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callista, I think they work by reflecting the cat's own body heat?

I suggest looking around for mylar blankets....I found some on Amazon.com....for super cheap. They're the blankets that people put in trunks, use for hypothermia....