They left their cats behind???

mkerrigan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am reading stories about evacuees from the California fires who are returning to their homes, and I have seen remarks like "My cat was still there, I thought he would have died" or "We lost our cat in the fire"...

My question is - HOW can you leave your pets behind like that? There is no way I could tear myself away from my house knowing that my cats could suffer a horrifying death because I did not take them with me. And even if the cat survived, what a horrible experience for him.

The answer might be that the people are told they can't bring pets, but I find that "rule" unbelievably cruel...

litterboxqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that some people might be in a hurry to evacuate or to save their own lives, but I could never leave the house without my pets. Heck, I'd feel bad leaving a fish or plant behind! All five cats and the dog would be by my side and safe.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand leaving pets behind either. It's like locking them in a cage and hoping that they don't get burned. At least free them, jeez! Animals have good instincts when it comes to disasters.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not understand it either. You wouldn't let your kids burn, why let your pets?

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps the people were already out of their houses when the evacuation orders were given (at work or something) and they weren't allowed to return to get their pets?
Or maybe the cat was outside and they couldn't retrieve it before they had to evacuate? Those are the only possible excuses I can think of for leaving your pets behind.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand that either.

When we were evacutated because of the floods, we had about 5 minutes to get our belongings & leave- and the first thing I did was grab the boys' kennel & take them to the car. THEN I worried about the things for ourselves.

I know a few people on the upper floors in our apartment buildings left their cats, I seriously couldn't have done it

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering it takes me AT LEAST 15 minutes to catch and cage Ferris, and that's when I'm NOT panicking, I know for a fact that if my home were on fire, I would NOT be able to catch him in time to save my own life.

Very sad, but true. I don't think it makes me a bad person, it just means that I have a former feral who has panic and caging issues.

If I were given 5 minutes to leave home, I cannot guarantee that I would be able to get all of my cats caged and take them with me.

So I think that rather than judge these folks without knowing what the individual circumstances were, we should instead treat them with a little more open-mindedness and compassion.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

If I were given 5 minutes to leave home, I cannot guarantee that I would be able to get all of my cats caged and take them with me.
Good point, I guess that could be what happened too and if you have a strong survival instinct you're going to bite the bullet and leave without your cat(s).

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Considering it takes me AT LEAST 15 minutes to catch and cage Ferris, and that's when I'm NOT panicking, I know for a fact that if my home were on fire, I would NOT be able to catch him in time to save my own life.

Very sad, but true. I don't think it makes me a bad person, it just means that I have a former feral who has panic and caging issues.

So I think that rather than judge these folks without knowing what the individual circumstances were, we should instead treat them with a little more open-mindedness and compassion.
i agree with gingersmom. its easy when sitting on the sidelines to say i would do this i would do that. But if you are panicking or in a desperate situation you won't be thinking the same way you normally would. As for my pets, my dog and one of my cats would be relatively easy to catch since they love human contact and will follow you anywhere. My other cat on the otherhand is a semiferal that runs at the slightest approach of a human and hates being put in a carrier. it usually takes me 10 + minutes to find and catch her on a good day when when she isn't scared. But when she is scared i have searched for hours without finding her. That being said i would try my best to find her, but in the worst case scenario i would just leave all doors open and pray she gets out. That might sound harsh but i can't risk my family's life or my own to save one of my cats as much as i love her. T___T Hopefully you won't judge me too harshly because of that

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this discussion with my DH last night. He brought up two very valid points;
1) scared pets can be hard to find, yet alone wrangle...
2) outdoor pets are that much harder to catch
3) many places of refuge (shelters, red cross, etc) have no pets policies --sad, but think about it--we know how irresponsible some people are with their pets, and they spoil it for those of us who are responsible

He also said (and this is part of why I love him) that if there were wildfires anywhere in upstate NY he would have a bag packed and the carriers out and ready so that we could live in our car

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

1) scared pets can be hard to find, yet alone wrangle...
2) outdoor pets are that much harder to catch
3) many places of refuge (shelters, red cross, etc) have no pets policies --sad, but think about it--we know how irresponsible some people are with their pets, and they spoil it for those of us who are responsible
:
I would live in my car by the Red Cross and go inside only to get food, water, bathroom etc. before leaving my animals, I love my animals more than I love my home or the things in it. My animals are easy to find, easy to catch and are good travelers. But I don't judge those that did leave their cats, as I don't know their reasons and those that you stated can be valid.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

call me cruel, but I 100% agree with this. I'm sure B would still help me, however with his back having more bad days then good lately I'm sure I would be the one to have to catch all 4 cats.

Plus JellyBella brought up a good point about outdoor cats. I have to take 5 minutes for each cat here to get them to the vet. Outdoor cats would be next to impossible.

If I were able to by some miracle in 5 minutes, there wouldn't be any time to place them in the carrier. They would have to free ride the evacuation.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are certain situations when the animals are not able to be brought with, it just makes me sad
Not juding anyone-- I know how your mind is in a panic when you only have a certain amount of time to get your things & leave. Believe me. Your mind goes about a million miles a minute.
I guess I was lucky enough to have been able to get my boys out in time- they were right by the door when I answered & it was the National Guard & landlord evacuating us.

All I know is that I pray for those people out there everyday, & I feel for them because I know exactly what its like to loose everything in a second.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkerrigan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified...

The assumption I made was that these people had a real choice, that their pets were rescue-ready. I once moved and had to leave a stray cat behind that I had been feeding for months. She was dependent on me for food but we couldn't catch her. I asked the neighbors to keep a look out for her for me but I felt horrible that I couldn't catch her and had to leave her behind.

I am not judging those who have difficulties in catching their pets, I'm sure these people feel pretty bad about it but sometimes difficult choices have to be made. I no way meant to judge these people.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why we have a list to follow in case of emergencies and we cannot think straight. And if I can't get the kitties in their cages, then I would wrap them up in a blanket and get out with them in my arms.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

While it's ideal that everyone gets every animal out, there are situations that simply isn't possible.

I know of an Ocicat breeder that had to evacuate the fires, they were only able to get two-thirds of their cats out. At last update their house and cats left behind were fine.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't fathom leaving Popsie behind. I'd live on the street with him if I couldn't find someone to take us in.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a little off the point, but KUDOS to San Diegans for offering lots of help for both domestic pets and large animals! When I last checked, the SPCA said that there is no need for more pet food
What great community spirit!