soft food vs hard food

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet's nurse was concerned about me feeding my babies so much soft food for their teeth health. The vet did not address the issue just said to not hold back on the food.

I was feeding the soft stuff to them along with hard food to get some meat on their bones ( no pun intended there) but the nurse said they really need to get just on hard food as the soft will decay their teeth. This was at their 10 month check up.

SO we are almost 13 weeks old now so do you think I can just go to hard food now gradually taking away the soft stuff?

What do you feed your 13 week old kittens?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Soft food is BETTER for overall health and actually helps keep teeth "freeier" of bacteria ....

you can and hard food for variety and ease of use for you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food does nothing to help clean teeth. Cats break the hard food with the tip of their tooth and swallow. Cats do not "chew" - their jaws only go up and down.

Hopefully this old wives' tale of dry food being better for the teeth will go away when folks get better educated (especially vets and their staff).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet here has slowly stopped telling people hard food helps clean their teeth after I educated him, with about 15 pages printed out on why dry didn't clean teeth!

Wet food provides more moisture, which is better. Cats do not drink enough normally, so need moisture through their food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow..really..???
Well then should I give dry food at all?
Is there a good link here on feeding?
I keep coming across some here who feed raw or tuna...this interests me too ..
I just want to do what is best for my fur babies.
I take their health seriously like I do my human babies so please continue to inform me

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check out
www.littlebigcat.com
tons of good food info & info in general there!

An all-wet diet is best for them. Dry is basically for our convenience. Raw, I'd go there if you have a vet who in knowledgeable about feeding raw. It's difficult to do on your own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Check out
www.littlebigcat.com
tons of good food info & info in general there!

An all-wet diet is best for them. Dry is basically for our convenience. Raw, I'd go there if you have a vet who in knowledgeable about feeding raw. It's difficult to do on your own.
Hey thanks so much for this...reading now..

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what that nurse said was a myth..and the vet didn't say anything..i'd stick to the wet and forget what she said.