The best movie I never want to see again...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0095327/

It is the saddest movie I've seen in a long LONG time, but it's worth the watch. I cried like a little girl.

Is there a movie out there that you've seen, thought was wonderful, but never want to see again?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember watching that when I was little! It was in Chinese, and I couldn't understand a word, but man, I got the point, and it was sad! I have a copy of it on VHS in Japanese w/subtitles now that I just haven't watched - wanted it because it was so good but haven't seen it again cause its so sad.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

It is the saddest movie I've seen in a long LONG time, but it's worth the watch. I cried like a little girl.

Is there a movie out there that you've seen, thought was wonderful, but never want to see again?
I borrowed this from my sister's collection and I cried like a baby
The way he looked after his little sister and the way those two were left to fend for themselves was just heartwrenching.

I feel the same way about Pan's Labrynth. It was very good, but I can't bear to see that stepfather again even knowing that he gets his in the end

IMHO the classic in this category is Sophie's Choice...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What Dreams May Come... I bawled for like 20 minutes at the end of that movie and it ripped my heart out, I never want to watch it again

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee, and i have both Grave of the Fireflies and What Dreams May Come on DVD, and can watch them over and over... wonder what that says about me, glutton for punishment? Torture lover? Ehh... I just love well-done movies... I did tear up for both, but I don't typically cry for movies.

Mine? Tuesdays With Morrie, with Jack Lemmon and Hank Azaria. I think it's because i had a teacher similar to Morrie in my own life. I bawled. I also adore Jack Lemmon, so seeing him in that role darn near killed me. Granted, I wouldn't mind seeing it again...

Now, for movies I NEVER want to see again... and own (for sheer findability)... Romper Stomper. It's a very early Russell Crowe flick. Australian. Very disturbing. He plays the head of a white supremacy gang of thugs. I realized after watching that how good of an actor he really is. He's not just beefcake. I may own it, but it sits there, never to be watched again (unless I feel compelled to skip to the BVD's scene, where he walks around in JUST his tighty-whiteys, holy frijoles, Batman). The violence is hard to watch. Very graphic. But a very well done movie.

Amanda

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies is hard. I was coming out of a period of depression for me when I saw that. I was so upset.

What's even more horrible about the movie is it's based on an actual experience. The little boy in the film is based on the author of the book. A lot of what happened in the movie actually happened to him and his sister.

Tricia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies is hard. I was coming out of a period of depression for me when I saw that. I was so upset.

What's even more horrible about the movie is it's based on an actual experience. The little boy in the film is based on the author of the book. A lot of what happened in the movie actually happened to him and his sister.

Tricia
Wow... I don't know if I want to read that book or not.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Now, for movies I NEVER want to see again... and own (for sheer findability)... Romper Stomper. It's a very early Russell Crowe flick. Australian. Very disturbing. He plays the head of a white supremacy gang of thugs. I realized after watching that how good of an actor he really is. He's not just beefcake. I may own it, but it sits there, never to be watched again (unless I feel compelled to skip to the BVD's scene, where he walks around in JUST his tighty-whiteys, holy frijoles, Batman). The violence is hard to watch. Very graphic. But a very well done movie.
I remember seeing that movie when it first came out. It was awful. The guy that played his friend (the boyfriend of the girl) killed himself not long after the movie, I think he jumped in front of a train or summat.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Green Mile..... I had waterfalls for eyes! It is such a good movie and I actually have watched it again. It took about 4 years for me to muster up the courage....of course I cried again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

DH and I watched the HBO documentary White Light Black Rain (http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whitelightblackrain/) not too long ago. It was wonderful and powerful and very, very disturbing.
That was SO good, but I agree with you. I don't know if I would ever want to see that again. Some of the pictures were so graphic that it turned my stomach.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Born Free. I can't watch it in its entirety. Just the theme song sends me off into a crying jag.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

Born Free. I can't watch it in its entirety. Just the theme song sends me off into a crying jag.
I was just sitting here reading this thread, and that's one of the first movies that popped into my head. I bawl like a big baby every time I watch it - especially at the end when they have to let Elsa go, and when she comes back w/ her cubs; also during the part when they let her go in the wild to fend for herself to see if she can survive on her own, and she comes back half-starving & all sickly-looking. I can't stand it..
That theme song sets me off, too..

Sommersby always sets me off too - especially at the end when Richard Gere's being hanged, and Jodi Foster comes running to be at his "side".

The ending of Face-Off gets to me, too, when John Travolta takes his enemy's son into their home...

Same Time, Next Year has a few poignant parts, too.

What Dreams May Come is a tear-jerker, too.

There was a movie my s/o and I watched not too long ago (I don't recall the name of it) that had Clint Eastwood in it, and it was about a young girl who wanted to become a woman's champion boxer, and she wanted Clint Eastwood to be her manager. At the end, she becomes paralyzed in a prize fight, and wants him to "pull the plug" b/c she doesn't want to live that way for the rest of her life. He won't do it at first, but eventually decides to grant her wishes. It was really a heart-wrenching movie to me.

I've never seen the one that y'all are referring to, so I can't comment.

I'm sure there's quite a few that I haven't thought of: I'm a big boob when it comes to love stories and anything sentimental.

~KK~

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

There was a movie my s/o and I watched not too long ago (I don't recall the name of it) that had Clint Eastwood in it, and it was about a young girl who wanted to become a woman's champion boxer, and she wanted Clint Eastwood to be her manager. At the end, she becomes paralyzed in a prize fight, and wants him to "pull the plug" b/c she doesn't want to live that way for the rest of her life. He won't do it at first, but eventually decides to grant her wishes. It was really a heart-wrenching movie to me.
Million Dollar Baby. That was a better movie than I expected it to be. I cried too.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best movie I never want to see again is American History X. Excellent movie, but very disturbing. I guess I would rather bury my head in the sand and pretend like that isn't reality...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Gee, and i have both Grave of the Fireflies and What Dreams May Come on DVD,
i have those also, and passion of the christ, spirited away But ih ave never watched them.
so i guess yea, there are very good, i wanted them, but i dont want to see them again.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Million Dollar Baby. That was a better movie than I expected it to be. I cried too.
That's it! I didn't think I'd get into it either, but it started picking up in the middle. And that ending..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And that part where she tried to chew off her own tongue so she would bleed to death b/c she wanted to die so desperately...Geez!

~KK~