Litter Training Help

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've finally convinced mum to let me litter train Pickle.
I've never had any experience training cats, so I'd like a little help.
Firstly, How long should it take?
And, is she likely to mess the house aswell?
Another thing, how should I clean it?

Any tips welcome

(and funny stories about your little babies litter training
)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Princess-Pickle

I've finally convinced mum to let me litter train Pickle.
I've never had any experience training cats, so I'd like a little help.
Firstly, How long should it take?
And, is she likely to mess the house aswell?
Another thing, how should I clean it?

Any tips welcome

(and funny stories about your little babies litter training
)
Well, seeing as Tiger and the cat brats were born in my house, and were trained by mom, it might be a little harder when they're older.

What I would do is show her the litterbox. Then (and yeah, this is gross) put her poop in it. Let her sniff it.
Any accidents she has, try to put it in her litterbox and show her where it is.

I'm sure someone else will come along with more advice too

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna picked up the litterbox concept quickly. My first weekend after bringing her home, I just kept tossing her into the litter box every hour. Sometimes she went, sometimes she didn't. Basically you have to show the kitty the litterbox and the rest should be instinctual for them. As long as you keep on top of that, kitty shouldn't mess the house.

Also when kitty does "go" praise him/her just to reinforce the litterbox concept.

By the morning of day 3 Luna was using the litterbox like a pro

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it should'nt take too long

Where is she going poddy now? Outside? If so, you can put some dirt/soil on top of the litter to kinda help her get the idea.
I also recommend having a few different boxes around in the beginning. That way she won't have to go looking for one when she needs to "go"-- and get different sizes etc... have one with shallow sides in case she does'nt like to climb in, and maybe a covered one incase she likes privacy

Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the moment she 'goes' outside, I've managed to convince her to walk into it, but she's not sure what to use it for

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Sylvie started to come in the house, I fixed up a litter box for her, put her in it, and used her paw to make a digging motion.
I did that maybe two different times in a day, and the next thing I knew she was using it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to confine Pickles to one room with a washable surface for a week or so. Put the litter pan in the room and her food/water bowls (but keep them far from the litter pan).

If she goes on the floor, then for pee - just clean it up with a tissue/paper towel and put that in the litter pan and sorta bury it a little. For poop, again pick it up and put it in the pan. Once she gets the idea of where to go, you can supervise her outside the room. But if you can't supervise, she should stay in the room with the litter pan.

How old is the cat/kitten you are talking about?