Ophelia...once again, I have no idea what to do with her

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guys, I'm desperate again about Ophelia. She is lashing out big time. It's bordering on attacking a human.

She's been on amitriptyline, Feliway, she's currently on Buspar(highest dose possible, been dosing her for 4-6 months now) & I've got a Feliway diffuser going. Have to get some Rescue Remedy to try yet.

Vet has no more ideas...I will talk to him again tomorrow, but last time he had no viable suggestions. I've got 3 options for sure:
1) Re-home her, I can't if she's going after people & I've tried to re-home her before...and failed
2) Euthanize her....like
am I gonna let that happen
3) Keep trying...but what?

She's going after PJ & Punky, bad. Multiple times a day. She's been living with them for 2-3 months now & it isn't improving, if anything, it's gotten worse. I've tried a re-introduction....no success.

Right now, Ophelia is shut in my bedroom with Dorian or alone, and PJ/Punky run around the basement. I often switch them around so she isn't shut in there all the time. Ophelia sleeps snuggled in bed with me at night....always kneads the bed & purrs.
And I do let her out to run around/be exposed to PJ & Punky whenever I can watch, for at least 2 hours a day....sometimes 6+ hours a day. She'll fight with me watching, knowing it's a bad thing to do.

I can't yell at her, she's deaf. I don't dare use a squirt bottle. I've tried stomping the floor, but there isn't hardly enough vibration for her to feel!

I haven't changed anything else in my home, I've been through every change I could think of that would've upset her. I can't come up with a thing.

There has to be something I can do, there has to. Because I can't keep living like this & neither can she. I mean, do I try tranquilizers? What?

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's just plain contrary, and being deaf probably makes her even more apprehensive of those around her, human or cat. I knew somebody who had a cat like that, mean, attacking everyone and everything, keeping other cats from eating, etc. and they ended up having to lock her in one room alone. She's lived the last 8 years like that and seems content, doesn't want to get out or socialize with anyone anyway. One family member does sleep with her.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
an old roomate of mine had two cats living solely in her room for years.

they didn't seem to mind it at all and wouldn't come out even if you wanted them to.
What about one of those play enclosures for cats like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/OUTDOOR-FENCED-P...ayphotohosting

that way kitty could still get out without bugging the other kitties

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Maybe she needs a home where she is the only cat?
that is what i was thinking also.
If i did not have other cats, i would love to take her.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I probably wasn't around for her history; I missed the postings; but you said you tried to rehome her before and it failed - was she the only cat in that household? And when does she tend to start to "go after" humans?

She sounds pretty unhappy (as do you). As the others have said, maybe living in one room might suit her - does she complain when she is in a room alone for long periods? It sure doesn't sound like she's ever going to adjust well to her housemates.

I had a deaf cat and hard floors, too - she responded to clapping - does Ophelia? It's awfully hard to do behavior mod on a cat that apparently has no reward in mind. My
goes out to you & Ophelia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Maybe she needs a home where she is the only cat?
I can't even find anyone who will take her! She has to be on the meds, which is a measly $20 a month if even that....but she's deaf, she's got her claws yet, & she needs a home without any other animals. She's impossible to place around here....and the only rescue that would consider taking her I would never let have my baby girl!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie,

Is there any way possible to build an outdoor enclosure for her that leads off of one room that only she has access to? In other words, keep her secluded in one room in the house and this one room would have a cat door that leads to an outdoor enclosure. That way, she can come indoors when it's cold.....but having access to the outdoor enclosure would mean she's not isolated in just one room. The enclosure wouldn't have to be very large. Just a suggestion. I hope you can find a solution.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a deaf cat many years ago and it was the same way. It was just plain mean and made a living out of breaking things and killing our small pets. We just couldn't stand her killing our pets for one, and then once she started attacking our 1 year old cousin she had to go. We tried and tried to re-home her and she eventually ended up living with an old lady with no animals or people other than her.....I guess it worked out. We didn't hear anything bad from her.

I'm sorry about your kitty.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie, I've thought about the enclosure, but I have yet to figure out a way to make it work. She lives in the basement, which is finished, but in ground. I've got a window well, but it's literally less than 5' to the driveway from the window well. Only place to build an enclosure off of is the office.....and that's a no go because the retaining walls are too close.

Unless I consider moving her upstairs, but there is no room to seperate her from the others....and she would kill Lily, which is why she lives in the basement.

I've thought a couple of times of locking her in the shed outside & attaching an enclosure to that....but she shed isn't heated/insulated & this late in the year, she'd freeze to death out there. She escapes every harness I've tried.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm just throwing an idea out here, but have you ever thought of letting her wear a harness and leash while out with the other cats? That way you would have a chance at instantly correcting her,gently of course....if it would work. I mean..if she can't hear,then a hands on approach may work better than visual?

I baby sat my aunt's spoiled rotten chihauhau(sp?) one summer and he would attack anyone/anything that came thru the door. I started leaving his leash attached to his collar and after a few times of holding him back and telling him no, he stopped. But would it work on a cat??

Well, that's just an idea. I'd hate to see you have to part with her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Well, I'm just throwing an idea out here, but have you ever thought of letting her wear a harness and leash while out with the other cats? That way you would have a chance at instantly correcting her,gently of course....if it would work. I mean..if she can't hear,then a hands on approach may work better than visual?

I baby sat my aunt's spoiled rotten chihauhau(sp?) one summer and he would attack anyone/anything that came thru the door. I started leaving his leash attached to his collar and after a few times of holding him back and telling him no, he stopped. But would it work on a cat??

Well, that's just an idea. I'd hate to see you have to part with her.
That might be an idea....

I feel like I'm shooting down every suggestion, but I've tried to work some of them out many times. I've considered just an outdoor enclosure away from the house & putting her out there every day, too.

dixiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read this post and feel like I am coming into the middle of this story, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record. However, I feel so very compelled to offer some suggestions that may lead to help. First, I want to say that I do know some things about deafness in the human aspect so here are some things that may help put things into perspective. You are right to use other communication methods other than audio, ie. tact, sight, etc. Hearing loss occurs at different levels so your cat may have severe or light hearing loss. If it has severe hearing loss, then yelling at it wont do a thing at all but give you a sore throat.

Please check out the following website, in addition to the webpage content there is a great resorce page with links.

http://deafanimalrow.blogspot.com/index.html

There are people on above website who help place deaf animals with people who either have the knowledge or desire to work with them. I felt so distrubed with some of the comments citing negative experences with deaf animals and became afraid that people will get the wrong idea. Not all deaf animals are horrible because with the right training and accomodations to its enviroment it can be a perfectly happy pet.
I wish you all the luck with this kitty...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I myself have two deaf cats.....I don't want to give Ophelia up. No wait, I refuse to give up on her! I took her in not knowing what I was getting, but I love her. What kind of meowmy would I be if I gave her up?

I can't get the link to work, but I am very interested in the website!