RE: The California Fires - Possible Donation Fund??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to donate to the fire victims in California, but I don't really trust donating to some organizations (I have my reasons: suffice it to say that I went thru Hurricane Rita, and a lot of that money wasn't used as it should have been). Anyways, would it be possible to set up a fire victim fund through TCS somehow?? Or could we possibly use our points somehow to transfer into cash to send their way??

~KK~

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I want to donate to the fire victims in California, but I don't really trust donating to some organizations (I have my reasons: suffice it to say that I went thru Hurricane Rita, and a lot of that money wasn't used as it should have been). Anyways, would it be possible to set up a fire victim fund through TCS somehow?? Or could we possibly use our points somehow to transfer into cash to send their way??

~KK~
Points have no monetary value as far as I know. They're just a fun thing for the forum. Even if a fund was set up, there would have to be a charity to give the money to in the end wouldn't there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Even if a fund was set up, there would have to be a charity to give the money to in the end wouldn't there?
I don't know: that's why I'm asking..

~KK~

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21444490/

I don't know if this is something you would be interested in or if it's an organization you believe you can trust but Petsmart Charities are involved in helping with the Southern California relief effort. According to the FAQ all of the donations go to the cause without subtracting for administrative costs etc. http://www.petsmartcharities.org/

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are saying. If giving money makes you nervous, there are other ways to help. Log on to the Red Cross site or contact you local office and find out where to send care packages. The is a large demand for the nesessities like diapers, sanitary items, clothing and bedding. You could also log onto The local ASPCA web site and send the items they are asking for. Many people lost their homes and will be displaced for a long time. The things will get to them, even if they don't they will go into storage and be used during the next disaster. I hate to say that but we all know things happen and the Red Cross and ASPCA always need items.

The Humane Society, the wish list and address is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.sdhumane.org/site/PageSer...WitchcreekFire

The San Diego Red Cross office info. Contact them to find out what they need and where to send it.
http://www.sdarc.org/site/pp.asp?c=erKQL4NQE&b=127361

The CW and the North County times are also taking donations, which will be matched by 50%. If you go through them you are going directly through a news orginaziton so you may feel a bit more secure going through them.
http://www.mccormicktribune.org/firerelief/nctcw5.aspx

I really hate to say it but these fires happen every winter, even if things you send now don't get used this year they will be used next year. Also we are earthquake territory.

No matter what you end up doing its the thought that counts. The fact you want to help says alot. Thank you.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be careful, with your donarions: scammers are already working the fire issue. It is recommended that one donate directly to established charities, such as the Red Cross or World Care.

Unfortunately, TCS is not set up to handle collecting or distributing donations, as there are tax issues involved.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

I understand what you are saying. If giving money makes you nervous, there are other ways to help. Log on to the Red Cross site or contact you local office and find out where to send care packages. The is a large demand for the nesessities like diapers, sanitary items, clothing and bedding. You could also log onto The local ASPCA web site and send the items they are asking for. Many people lost their homes and will be displaced for a long time. The things will get to them, even if they don't they will go into storage and be used during the next disaster. I hate to say that but we all know things happen and the Red Cross and ASPCA always need items.

The Humane Society, the wish list and address is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.sdhumane.org/site/PageSer...WitchcreekFire

The San Diego Red Cross office info. Contact them to find out what they need and where to send it.
http://www.sdarc.org/site/pp.asp?c=erKQL4NQE&b=127361

I really hate to say it but these fires happen every winter, even if things you send now don't get used this year they will be used next year. Also we are earthquake territory.

No matter what you end up doing its the thought that counts. The fact you want to help says alot. Thank you.
Thanks for posting the info!
Maybe I'll come across some place I trust.
I do believe that the ASPCA is a trusted & respectable organization: I'll check them out!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Be careful, with your donarions: scammers are already working the fire issue. It is recommended that one donate directly to established charities, such as the Red Cross or World Care.
That's what I'm afraid of - it happens every time there's a disaster: some
people will take advantage of it.
As I've already mentioned, I saw quite a bit of those ******'s after Hurricane Rita. I was working in retail at the time, and most of the people who got those debit cards were using them for unnecessary items such as big screen TVs, DVD players/DVDs/CDs, electronic games, expensive articles of clothing (like designer stuff), expensive jewelry, etc. - stuff they really didn't need - instead of using them for food & necessities. It really ticked me off!
One guy I knew actually got a six-thousand dollar check from FEMA, by claiming the hurricane destroyed his home - which was total BS: his home was a disaster BEFORE the hurricane hit (he's what you'd call "white trash"). He was just taking advantage of the situation. What irked me even more was the fact that he didn't even use the money towards fixing his home, but instead, went out and bought a new stereo system for his truck, and a brand new fancy cell-phone to play with.
There were plenty of people in dire need who couldn't get the money and needed it, but the ones who shouldn't have gotten it were, and were abusing it..

Anyways, a lot of the money that's donated to Red Cross and other organizations is abused, and that's part of why I don't want to donate to them. Also, there are some organizations that can't be trusted - I learned that the hard way..

Unfortunately, TCS is not set up to handle collecting or distributing donations, as there are tax issues involved.
I wasn't sure - that's why I asked. It was worth a shot!
You don't know till you try..

~KK~

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I live in Orange County, about 20 minutes away from one of the fires (the one started by arson)
. Thank goodness my home is not threatened. I know and have come across MANY people who have lost everything and others who don't know yet. The people here are in DESPERATE need of money,food, clothing, hygiene items, baby supplies, pet supplies and anything else you can think of. There are several websites that the local newscasters have mentioned that list legitimate charities. www.Charitynavigator.org www.dca.ca.gov and http://give.org I want to personally thank everyone for keeping us in your thoughts, prayers and hearts
Here are some current numbers about the fires: 13 fires;steady wind gusts 80 mph (some gusts up to 120 mph) 150,000+ acres burned (more then 400 square miles) ; 1,700+ homes burned down; 770,000+ people evacuated; 100+ injuries; between 1-5 deaths: 6 of the fires are 10% or less contained and 4 of the fires are 50% or more contained. These numbers keep rising every hour. PLEASE continue to pray for everyone effected by these devastating fires and the fire fighters who are bravely fighting them. Thank-you again!!!!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link, Zookeeper - I'll check it out!

~KK~

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to be pet-specific in your help, please check out this website: http://www.sdshelters.com/
It's the San Diego Animal Support Foundation and they help owners and pets! When I found a very sick, stray cat in San Diego, they were going to pay for emergency care at one of 2 vet hospitals, but if the cat needed surgery or routine care, she would have to wait till the following Tues, for Animal Control to be involved and okay any procedures (it wound up being quicker for me to stay up all night and drive the 300+miles home, where my vet saw the cat at 8am. & provided ALL the care needed at cost AND DONATED her time). But it was good to know that these folks do provide the emergency care

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not necessarily just for the pets I want help for, but for anyone who needs it. But thanks for posting the link!

~KK~