help... liver disease

cdonati

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ya all,
Im new here, my name is Chrisitne...Ive only been on equine forums, but the diagnosis of my kitty emily has left me searching for advice..
Emily is a mixed breed, spayed, female kitty,Ive owned her since birth and she has never had any health problems, and she is NOT overweight...last Tues, I noticed she was thin, and dehydrated...Wed i rushed her in and did blood work on her...aside form a yellow mouth, her ALKP levels were 779
and her ALT levels 363, TBILE 4.5 G... we hoped for best case scenario and sent her home with sub Q fluids, that im doing here and antibiotics, and I have been syring feeding her AD every few hours...she wont eat/drink, etc...they thought she wqould die by Fri, but i wouldnt put her down because she wasnt suffering, she still purs, rubs on me, etc..Now its Wed and its been a week, He doesnt think its hepatis lipidosis, because she was never a heavy cat..Im still hoping it is, and giving her aggressive nutritional support...her attitude is good, although still not eating/drinking...
I desperatley need to get advice from someone who has gone thru this...how many ccs should I feed how often...Ive mixed mashed potatoe in with the AD so the protein isnt so hard..has any one had a hepatic lipidoses cat whom was not heavy? please email me if you have had a cat survive this...of course w/o biopsy , no way to tell what liver disease it is, but for the cost and amount of traveling Id have to do,(Ilive in a rural, small town) it doesnt seem it would tell me much more then how long she may live...sorry for the lenth of this...please help..

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with a small liver and when she in 1 of her down times (depressed, doesn't want to eat) I get out a chicken breast. She'll always eat some of that - sometimes its small amounts several times a day but that always gets her eating again. I just cook it and leave it on a plate for her to eat whenever she wants. There are medications that your vet can give you to stimulate her appitite. Also, maybe a holistic vet can help. Maybe you can call one and see what they would recommend anyway. PM me, I have a couple thoughts I would like to share. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cdonati

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply..unfortunatley, even when emily was well, she would never eat anything other then dry food..now, she has no intrest in anything...I keep waking up thinking she didnt make it, but shes still here...it seems with mixing the mashed potatoe in with her AD, shes a little less yellow..Is there a way to search for past posts on here..I was hoping more people had gone thru this, well, Im glad there isnt...actually, its pretty heartbreaking..thanks for the advice, and please anyone else out there who has had a cat in liver failure...Id love any ideas..

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cdonati

Thank you for your reply..unfortunatley, even when emily was well, she would never eat anything other then dry food..now, she has no intrest in anything...I keep waking up thinking she didnt make it, but shes still here...it seems with mixing the mashed potatoe in with her AD, shes a little less yellow..Is there a way to search for past posts on here..I was hoping more people had gone thru this, well, Im glad there isnt...actually, its pretty heartbreaking..thanks for the advice, and please anyone else out there who has had a cat in liver failure...Id love any ideas..
http://thecatsite.com/forums/search....archid=1051324