Having a baby next month and afraid that my cat will feel left out, what do I do?

teneff88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9yo orange tabby Tigger is literally my best friend (I know that sounds kind of funny) and "baby". I've had him all his life (since I was 10 yrs old) and I've "babied" and spoiled him so much, he's literally my child. He's very loveable and affectionate and can sometimes be a puppy dog by following me everywhere I go. Well, I am currently 8 months pregnant, and due to have my baby at the end of next month. I'm so afraid that Tigger is gonna feel left out and get sad and depressed. How do I adjust him to the new baby and how do I show I still love him and not forgetting about him? Is it okay to literally introduce the baby to Tigger face to face eventually? Anyone have this experience before?

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First Congrats on the pending arrival.
As long as you include Tigger and continue to treat him normally there shouldn't be any problems. My kids grew up around cats from the very beginning. I've caught the cats curled up with my boys when they were babies.
Lady my RB kitty would even run up and pop the boys on the diaper if they were throwing a fit and screamed to loud. Worked every time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly congratulations on your baby.

I've posted before about this so will again share it with you.

I had a Siamese cat for 10 years and we had a very close and special bond. After marrying and getting pregnant I also worried a bit about how she would be since she wasn't very tolerant of anyone but me.

When we brought our daughter home from the hospital I let Susie (my cat) sit beside me on the sofa and smell Jennifer. While she did that I caressed her and told her she was still my baby. I didn't allow her in Jennifer's bedroom for the first few months though.

Whenever I breastfed Jennifer, I always let Susie lay in my lap since she always wanted to be in my lap when I sat. Fast forward to 10 months, Jennifer (our daughter) is now crawling and has realized she can lift herself up by the chair where Susie is laying down. She reaches for the cat and pulls a bit too hard on her fur. Susie smacked her hand - Jennifer laughed.

Susie never once bit or scratched Jennifer. Jennifer's first word was "Seesuz".

Talk to your cat and include her when you are caring for the baby. I honestly believed Susie knew this little red wriggly thing was special to me and Jennifer became special to her too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son grew up with cats in the room/house from the time he was born. I never restricted anyone (other then to be sure my son didn't play in the litter pan)

ALWAYS greet the cat first and make a big deal out of it - not just a simple pat and go to the baby. The cat will adjust to the baby. If you feel you need to keep him out of the baby's room, put a screened door on the baby's room so the cat can see/hear.

Teach your child as he/she starts to crawl to respect the cat - do not be pulling tail, ears, hitting, poking, etc. Before my son could walk he was taught to be nice to kitty!

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother had a Siamese when I was a baby... unfortunately she had to give him up when I was still a baby because my father's allergies just became intolerable, so I don't remember him at all, but she said he would sit vigilantly and watch me sleep and if I stirred or needed something, he would scream to her and she'd come and check on me. I presume as long as they don't get forgotten about once the new arrival comes, they are fine... as soon as the opportunity arose for me as an adult, I adopted Seamus, never had any contact with cats in my life really except Winston and any time I was around people with pets as a kid I was scared of them... he made me a cat lover when I was a baby

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by teneff88

My 9yo orange tabby Tigger is literally my best friend (I know that sounds kind of funny) and "baby". I've had him all his life (since I was 10 yrs old) and I've "babied" and spoiled him so much, he's literally my child. He's very loveable and affectionate and can sometimes be a puppy dog by following me everywhere I go. Well, I am currently 8 months pregnant, and due to have my baby at the end of next month. I'm so afraid that Tigger is gonna feel left out and get sad and depressed. How do I adjust him to the new baby and how do I show I still love him and not forgetting about him? Is it okay to literally introduce the baby to Tigger face to face eventually? Anyone have this experience before?
congratulations!!

i don't have any babies yet (human ones, anyway) so i can't really help you out but i just wanted to say congrats!

come back and update this after your baby arrives and let us know how your (cat) baby, tigger is handling his new (human) sibling.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the others have pretty well covered the importance of not ignoring kitty when baby comes. Just treat him as if he were an elder human sibling.

I was introduced to the resident kitten and dog when I was brought home from the hospital 50 years ago, and those 2 became my guardians. They were always under my bassinet when company came.

lapis kelinia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know how the introduction went, but my parents tell me that our cat slept in my crib with me, snuggled against my side when I came home from the hospital. She would get up and wake my parents if I cried at night. She loved me and tolerated whatever I did (bite, yank out fur, etc) until I was two years old, where she split my eyebrow open. My father took the philosophical approach that she decided that I was big enough at that point to understand that 'No means No' when delivered by claw. At that point, he started enforcing that kitty has her safe zones, and that I would be in deep trouble if I bothered her when she went to them (top of couch, under the popasan, what have you).

As a result, even though I still remember getting lashed across the head and a lot of blood running in my eyes, I love cats just as he does, and will teach the same lessons to my children. My cats were here first, and won't be removed when baby comes.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Congrats!

Has your kitty been around babies/kids at all? Not saying he has to have exposure but it might help a little if you've got friends or family with little ones come visit... my Oliver had his first (to my knowledge) baby experience last Friday... my aunt uncle and their 4 kids came to stay the night - they'd been here before but none of the kids were BABY babies when they've visited, but this time they had baby Bo and she was born in December... well my uncle brought her in in her car seat and set her on the floor - she started to fuss a little (not cry) and Ollie came up with his head cocked and like "what the....?" and he put one paw on the seat and kinda stood up and looked in at her and then was like "ah enough of this! I'm the cute one here!" and walked off haha

If you and baby will be in the hospital a few days after the birth, have daddy or a family member bring home some of the baby's blankets from the hospital with the baby's scent on them (and maybe a folded up messy diaper lol) - put them on the floor for the cat so he can get used to the smell of the baby (also if possible, make/find a recording of a crying baby so the cat gets used to that sound ahead of time)

I don't have human kids, but I personally wouldn't let the cat be in the baby's room with the baby, unattended... like I'd let him in for changings and what not, but not when the baby's in there alone sleeping... and I really like the idea of a screen door - never fails that Oliver wants to get into a room that has a closed door cuz he can't see inside haha

And just like everyone said, as long as you don't ignore kitty, things should be ok... set aside special kitty attention/cuddle time when the baby is napping or when daddy or someone else is caring for the baby... maybe take a trip to the pet store before the baby is born and get your kitty a special toy or treat and give it to him when you bring home the baby (just like you'd do with an older child when the new baby comes home)... just spoil the cat a little extra (haha if that's possible) for a little while when the baby first comes home so he doesn't feel left out

Wow, I said a lot for not having human kids of my own lol but I do deal with dog/cat jealously since they both think I'm "theirs" haha