what kind of cat is treasure cat alice in wonderland

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
does anyone know what kind of cat he was? Im guessing british shorthair?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah ur right my memory is flawed i for some reason thought he was called the treasure cat lol

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the Tenniel illustrations it looked like a British Shorthair tabby.

The expression "to grin like a Cheshire cat" is older than Alice. It is a corruption of the French chat chasseur, a 'hunter cat'--that is, one who is particularly good at catching mice. (Which my Zane is--even without front claws! [Not my idea!])

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this thread was going to be guessing what kind of cat he is
I was going to say, tabby/doctor seuss

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cheshire Cat is a British Shorthair, the breed was chosen as a model for the illustrations by both Lewis Carroll and Sir John Tenniel who illustrated the original edition.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lewis Carroll was on drugs. I did a paper on his book Alice in Wonderland.... very interesting and fascinating stuff, and if you do research on him, Alice in Wonderland takes on a whole new meaning.

LOVE the Disney movie!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a Cheshire cat. Probably close to the British SH since it's an English story. And I've seen color pictures - so its a red mackeral tabby Cheshire cat

Well IMO its pretty obvious that "drugs" were involved. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out - but interesting anyway.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its a Cheshire cat. Probably close to the British SH since it's an English story. And I've seen color pictures - so its a red mackeral tabby Cheshire cat

Well IMO its pretty obvious that "drugs" were involved. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out - but interesting anyway.
It's not "close to" a British Shorthair, it IS a British Shorthair - as stated by the author and illustrator!