I can't believe they did that

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I go into work at Hollister last night not feeling too well because of this bug bite I have. My manager asks me how I'm feeling and I tell her what's going on. Well as the night progresses my little headache goes into full blown migrane. I couldn't even form sentences it was so bad. I walk over to my manager and tell her I'm in a bad state and if I could just go home after I finish my assignment. At this point I've already thrown up twice. She looks at me and just says "Nooo" she said she had already let somebody go home and she couldn't afford to loose someone else tonight. I was fuming at this point. I'm throwing up unable to see straight let alone perfectly fold the new shirts. I take a look around and notice that the same people I had clocked in with were all the people still there. I call my bf and tell him what she said. He got mad and suggested I leave. So I managed to at least finish half of my wall gather my stuff and go. Well I get a phone call at 2 am, it's the manager saying she was wondering where I went, is considering this a walk out and is putting me in the computer as un-rehireable .
I'm now wondering if this is an issue I should go to corporate about this. They can't make a person who is visibly un able to work stay.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would TOTALLY take this up with a higher up and maybe even the labour board. Your employer can't keep you if you are throwing up..that is insane! She could have called someone in or something.

I would be so mad too If I were you.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, she called you at 2AM?
Thats kind of unprofessional of a boss, if you ask me!

I'd take this higher up, thats insane, they can't make you work while your ill.

Definately take some action about this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Um, she called you at 2AM?
Thats kind of unprofessional of a boss, if you ask me!

I'd take this higher up, thats insane, they can't make you work while your ill.

Definately take some action about this!
Well I work the night shift which starts at 9pm till 2 am. So she prolly waited till the end of the shift. What irks me also is on Monday night I was unable to come in due to a change in a meeting I needed to attend. I texted/called every overnighter and only one person got back to me. It just makes me wonder what kind of company am I working for and what type of people do they like to hire.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd definitely go to higher ups, but you are going to HAVE to see a doctor to have proof to back up you were sick. If you are going to make an issue over it (which you have a right to) your going to have to back yourself up. I've seen so many people in situations like that with their employers. And trust me, they won't take anyone else's word for it how sick you were 99% of the time.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ima call my doctor in Cali to see if they can send me my diagnosis that a suffer from severe migraines and a copy of my old prescription. I was on a free government program but they don't offer anything like that in Az so I don't have access to the medication anymore.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'd definitely go to higher ups, but you are going to HAVE to see a doctor to have proof to back up you were sick. If you are going to make an issue over it (which you have a right to) your going to have to back yourself up. I've seen so many people in situations like that with their employers. And trust me, they won't take anyone else's word for it how sick you were 99% of the time.

If you had stayed your migraine could have progressed further and well, if you're throwing up on all the shirts you folded, then that's not good for the business.

Make an appt ASAP with the doctor for a "follow-up". Report this to the HR people AND you're boss' boss. Be able to provide documentation. You may still be fired, but they might be able to change the "un-rehireable" part.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! You have to do something about this! What a jerk first of all, and 2nd they shouldn't fire you the first time you do something wrong, it should have been a warning! 3rd, it's the night shift, you can't honestly tell me that losing 1 nightshift worker is going to close down the store. And 4th, she's a

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

If you had stayed your migraine could have progressed further and well, if you're throwing up on all the shirts you folded, then that's not good for the business.
asked to go home once when i was sick, when i was working at chi chi restaruants was told no they could not afford me to leave..

so the next time i felt the need i went and asked, was told no again.
so i
half on her, half on the grill...

i got to go home after that

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

asked to go home once when i was sick, when i was working at chi chi restaruants was told no they could not afford me to leave..

so i

Oh good job!
Bet that taught her!!!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

so i

Yea that became the debate of "Can they afford not having you or not having the customers return because you puked all over them"

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

so i

That's what my bf told me to do. He said that would have been the best way to get my point across. They were brand new items too

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's just asinine.
I mean REALLY.

I myself suffer from at least 3 different types of migraines so I know first hand they are not to be trifled with...
and I've worked in retail before... they really only need a couple people in at a time and that's when things are CRAZY busy. I hardly think that merchandising is so urgent that it comes before your health.

I would at least put a call in to her boss, that doesn't sound right to me at all