So mad I could just spit!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartment building has some major flaws, and today they've just topped themselves.

They've known that our outgoing mail box has had a broken lock for some time, but they neglected to tell us. I never noticed, because it never occurred to me to check. It's just something that I outright assumed was safe. A few weeks ago Netflicks didn't get one of my movies. Not really thinking anything of it I reported it as lost and moved on with my life. Now I know that someone has been taking outgoing mail. This sucks. Thank GOD I never mailed a check or anything with personal info out, but in the past few weeks my husband has. We are putting a block on his security information, and we are going to watch his credit report like a hawk.

Today was the first day they decided to tell us about it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats terrible!!!
Will the building mgmt notify all residents???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Thats terrible!!!
Will the building mgmt notify all residents???
They best! I had to find out from an office girl today.

Thank goodness I can mail all my stuff from work. I'm never going to mail anything ever again from home. This has just put me over the edge.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very irresponsible of them, especially these days with the rampant identity theft going on. I suggest to people that they never put anything sensitive in outgoing mail. I know it's inconvenient but those items need to be taken directly to the Post Office.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, with the amount of identity theft going on today, I'm super paranoid.
so I take mine either directly to the post office or in those blue boxes.

However then you have to trust your mail person. When I left Michigan there were a number of cases where some mail people were stealing giftcards from birthday cards.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grrr. Our last apartment we were suspicious of things disappearing. We NEVER mailed anything from there. We rented a PO box. If we have an apartment without secure mailboxes again, we will rent another PO box. They aren't expensive.

I hope nothing bad happens to your accounts.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be so mad, too. Who would not notify someone of this, with all the crimes that can happen as a result?!?!?!!? I hope everything remains safe with you guys.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know...I was thinking.

I would post a sign (anonymously if you choose) above the outgoing mailbox indicating that the box lock has been broken for the last 30 days. Your neighbors may like to know this also.