jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat will not use the litter box.

Took cat to vet and he is ok.

Do not use a covered litter box

Changed the litter and used cat attract litter

I have six litter boxes in the house. I've even tried emply trays and tried a sand box. (that was really hard to clean)

I don't place litter boxes right next to each other with exception to two in the basement. With 6 boxes he should be ok.

I scoop twice daily.

I bought new boxes and I scrub them regularly outside with disinfectant soap.

I don't have kids and I have 6 boxes so he should be to disturbed by the other cats. He did this when I only had him and Shadow as well. I think the litter boxes are in safe places.

Put a litter box on each level (floor) of the house. I have three floors. 2 on each floor.

I clean all old urine spots. He doesn't pee on carpet - just tile so it's pretty easy

I am thinking he doesn't like the feel of cat litter on his paws. Just a theory. But the clear trays I was using can only be used once and then I have to clean them otherwise he pees on the floor and with all the litter boxes I have and have to clean that got ridiculous.

Any further suggestions. I've heard alot about Felaway. Can anyone tell me more about it? It's just supposed to calm your cats? If so, why would we put it on things we don't want them near? Just curious as to what effects it will have on my cat household. I have 4. All around the same age. Thanks. 2 boys and 2 girls. Boys are fixed and the 1 girl is. The other was newly adopted and will be fixed soon.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you just have a (male) cat like a lot of others that wants to pee on a flattish, fairly clear surface. I've had one of those and what I did (six boxes??) was to use a really big Rubbermaid bin lid with one edge under the regular litter box and the rest outside of it, with just a sprinkling of slightly used (for the smell) litter in the lid with 1-2 clear-ish spaces. It worked - he used the lid to go #1 and while it meant I had to clean it up all the time, at least it was contained, in one place, and I didn't have to worry about other places. I don't know how long it'll take your cat to use it, but see what happens - use a box (away from food of course) that he's likely to pass by a lot and see what happens. You could even put him into it and scratch his front feet a couple of times so he gets the idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Larke - Thanks. I have two clear rubbermaid containers that he used to use. My best success was a clear bird cage liner. It was lightweight but durable enough to wash out quickly. It did bend some though so I had to be careful to not spill. It eventually cracked and I moved away and havent' found one since, but maybe I will have to take a road trip to find another.

Another question I have after reading the sticky on peeing problems. I used to use bleach to clean and disinfect the floors until someone told me that amonia cleans better. Bleach and amonia - they are both listed as scents cats like to pee on. I've used Pine cleaner but wasn't confidant on the cleaning power.

The enzyme cleaners what are they and can I mop a whole floor with them?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i highly recommend the 'cat attract' for getting recalcitrant cats to use the box. there's both a litter & a litter attractant additive available. i found the litter at PetSmart, but i could only find the additive online.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I read correctly....he kinda likes to go on flat surfaces, right?

Have you considered trying doggie piddle pads?
You can find plastic trays, then the disposable piddle pads to go in them.

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If I read correctly....he kinda likes to go on flat surfaces, right?

Have you considered trying doggie piddle pads?
You can find plastic trays, then the disposable piddle pads to go in them.
I agree. Try that.

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will have to try that one. That's a bunch! I will let you know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Jenkitty

cckitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitty Awne that is spraying all over the house. I have had her for three years and we have been battleing it for three years, only in the last have we found out that she is doing it. I use enzymatic cleaners and a black light. I have tried behavoir training, isolation, meds nothing seems to help. I have tried to find her a new home but no body wants a cat with a peeing problem. I forgot to mention that i have others cat too. The litter boxes should not be the problem as i have replaced and have many throughout the house with and without lids. I have caught her spraying and always say"no" when i do and she goes right to the room used as a time out or isolation room.
My mom has offered that she could stay at her place outside but it is getting cold. I am also afraid that she will not stay, an try to find way back home. I can't bear the thought of putting her to sleep either. That is why i have put up with it for so long. The peeing is getting more frequent and getting harder to keep it cleaned up. I am starting to feel like there is nothing left.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i highly recommend the 'cat attract' for getting recalcitrant cats to use the box. there's both a litter & a litter attractant additive available. i found the litter at PetSmart, but i could only find the additive online.
The OP said she tried the cat attract and it didn't work. The additive might help though.

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cckitty -

I tried the Cat attract litter and it worked for a short while but my cat is male and is not spraying. He actually prefers smooth surfaces instead of litter. I also have a multiple cat household. I believe that he doesn't like to use a litter box that another cat has used. Despite having several boxes available there is no way that I can isolate each cat to thier own box. I have an open scheme house so I can not close anything but a bathroom door and the front door. The bathroom door is too small to isolate a cat.

Anyhow, is your female fixed? Do you have other male cats in the house? Are the male cats fixed? How does she get along with the other cats? Do they chase her out of the litter box or wait outside of the box and stare at her while she uses it?

She may just be intimidated by your other cats and she is trying to mark some territory so that they leave her alone. That or she is marking for other reasons if she is not fixed.

Spraying is much different than her peeing innapropriatly. Does she do it standing up or squatting? If she was peeing she would be squatting and she might have a urinary tract infection.

But my cat doesn't spray he just doesn't like litter. I hope you find something that might help your cat. There are plenty of people here that can offer suggestions. Dumpster loved the cat attract but it's expensive and I can't fill all my boxes with it and make sure the other cats stay out of it.

I used a clear bird cage liner for awhile. It had inverted edges so it fit perfectly in a corner. Maybe this would work to catch the spray before it hits the carpet or floor. That is if she chooses one particular corner.

I feel your frustration because my cat is very slow to change, but hang in there and hopefully you find a solution.

Kind Regards,

Jenkitty

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenkitty

But my cat doesn't spray he just doesn't like litter. I hope you find something that might help your cat. There are plenty of people here that can offer suggestions. Dumpster loved the cat attract but it's expensive and I can't fill all my boxes with it and make sure the other cats stay out of it.

Jenkitty
i actually use the additive - less expensive, but just as effective. & that way i can use less expensive clumping litter, as well.
i found the additive at petfooddirect.com

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried newspaper? Line the litter box with about 2 sheets of newspaper, and then 2 sheets of shredded newspaper on top of that. See if he will use that. If he does you can start adding litter bit by bit. Of course with newspaper you have to be very diligent with litter box duties. I've tried this many times and it usually works

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this was answered yet: yes, you can use the enzyme spray cleaners on hard surfaces.