Need Assistance, Please... Survey.

koodeez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello to all,

My name is Matt and I am a college student majoring in computer programming. I am taking psychology and have a research paper that I need to complete. After many discussions of pets in class, I have decided to try and conduct a research on the preferred pet based on human personality.

I, myself am a cat lover, no questions asked!!! I am not too fond of dogs due to past experiences. I grew up w/ 12 indoor cats and now that I have my own family, I am down to three.

Not too hard to guess that most, if not all, in this form prefer cats over dogs.

What I am trying to do is compare the personality of you w/ your preference of pet (cat or dog) by using the Myer-Briggs survey. The great thing about this is... not only will you help me by giving me your personality result but you will also learn much about yourselves by taking this 15 minute test. Even if you prefer not to post your results from the test on here, I would strongly suggests you take it to learn more about yourself and especially if you're married... have your spouse take it as well.

My psychology teacher recommended me to take this test and have my wife take it as well. This, of course, was told to me after I explained to him how my wife and I are so different. My mouth dropped as I read the personality results. I am an INTJ (Mastermind) according to the test which matches me perfectly.

Below is a link to the test. It is 67 questions and when you complete the test, it will list your personality in the for of four letters. (E or I, S or N, T or F, and J or P). There are a total of 16 personality types and this test is used by many pschologists.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

***After taking test and getting your result... you can type "your four letter personality" in Google and you will be linked to many different sites that will give you different info on your personality... keep in mind... some info will be redundant.

The link below is more info on the results of your test.
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/

I would greatly appreciate any responses to this post for my paper...

1) Take test and post your result... if you prefer not to post results publicly, you can send me a private message.

2) Your preference: Cat or Dog Or Neutral

3) Age and sex would be nice but I understand privacy.

I also plan on posting to those in some dog forums to compare result and if I get enough response, I will post my paper w/ results.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I understand that I am asking alot from all of you but, I promise, that your reward will be learning more about yourselves by taking this 15 minute test.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken the Myers-Briggs several times, including the full instrument from MBTI. I always come out as a strong ENFP, and this version of the test was no exception. I have to admit that it's pretty much dead on accurate.

I have only cats, but love all animals...cats, dogs, birds, lizzards, so I guess you can mark me as "neutral".

I'm 39 years old, and female.

Good luck with your research. You'll have to tell us what you find.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Portrait of an ISFJ - Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging
(Introverted Sensing with Extraverted Feeling)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nurturer

As an ISFJ, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you takes things in via your five senses in a literal, concrete fashion. Your secondary mode is external, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit into your personal value system.

ISFJs live in a world that is concrete and kind. They are truly warm and kind-hearted, and want to believe the best of people. They value harmony and cooperation, and are likely to be very sensitive to other people's feelings. People value the ISFJ for their consideration and awareness, and their ability to bring out the best in others by their firm desire to believe the best.

ISFJs have a rich inner world that is not usually obvious to observers. They constantly take in information about people and situations that is personally important to them, and store it away. This tremendous store of information is usually startlingly accurate, because the ISFJ has an exceptional memory about things that are important to their value systems. It would not be uncommon for the ISFJ to remember a particular facial expression or conversation in precise detail years after the event occured, if the situation made an impression on the ISFJ.

ISFJs have a very clear idea of the way things should be, which they strive to attain. They value security and kindness, and respect traditions and laws. They tend to believe that existing systems are there because they work. Therefore, they're not likely to buy into doing things in a new way, unless they're shown in a concrete way why its better than the established method.

ISFJs learn best by doing, rather than by reading about something in a book, or applying theory. For this reason, they are not likely to be found in fields which require a lot of conceptual analysis or theory. They value practical application. Traditional methods of higher education, which require a lot of theorizing and abstraction, are likely to be a chore for the ISFJ. The ISFJ learns a task best by being shown its practical application. Once the task is learned, and its practical importance is understood, the ISFJ will faithfully and tirelessly carry through the task to completion. The ISFJ is extremely dependable.

The ISFJ has an extremely well-developed sense of space, function, and aesthetic appeal. For that reason, they're likely to have beautifully furnished, functional homes. They make extremely good interior decorators. This special ability, combined with their sensitivity to other's feelings and desires, makes them very likely to be great gift-givers - finding the right gift which will be truly appreciated by the recipient.

More so than other types, ISFJs are extremely aware of their own internal feelings, as well as other people's feelings. They do not usually express their own feelings, keeping things inside. If they are negative feelings, they may build up inside the ISFJ until they turn into firm judgments against individuals which are difficult to unseed, once set. Many ISFJs learn to express themselves, and find outlets for their powerful emotions.

Just as the ISFJ is not likely to express their feelings, they are also not likely to let on that they know how others are feeling. However, they will speak up when they feel another individual really needs help, and in such cases they can truly help others become aware of their feelings.

The ISFJ feels a strong sense of responsibility and duty. They take their responsibilities very seriously, and can be counted on to follow through. For this reason, people naturally tend to rely on them. The ISFJ has a difficult time saying "no" when asked to do something, and may become over-burdened. In such cases, the ISFJ does not usually express their difficulties to others, because they intensely dislike conflict, and because they tend to place other people's needs over their own. The ISFJ needs to learn to identify, value, and express their own needs, if they wish to avoid becoming over-worked and taken for granted.

ISFJs need positive feedback from others. In the absence of positive feedback, or in the face of criticism, the ISFJ gets discouraged, and may even become depressed. When down on themselves or under great stress, the ISFJ begins to imagine all of the things that might go critically wrong in their life. They have strong feelings of inadequacy, and become convinced that "everything is all wrong", or "I can't do anything right".

The ISFJ is warm, generous, and dependable. They have many special gifts to offer, in their sensitivity to others, and their strong ability to keep things running smoothly. They need to remember to not be overly critical of themselves, and to give themselves some of the warmth and love which they freely dispense to others.

Jungian functional preference ordering:

Dominant: Introverted Sensing
Auxilliary: Extraverted Feeling
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking
Inferior: Extraverted Intuition

I prefer cats and am a 25 year old female
Good luck with your paper!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ISFJ - Protector Guardian- Cats Only - 25 yrs old - Female
The primary desire of the Protector Guardian is to be of service to others. There is a large proportion of Protectors in the population, perhaps as much as ten percent. Protectors find great satisfaction in assisting the downtrodden and can deal with disability and neediness in others better than any other type. However, their shyness with strangers is often misjudged as stiffness, even coldness, when in truth these Protectors are warm-hearted and sympathetic, giving happily of themselves to those in need.
http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=ke...=2&c=protector
Update us all on your test results!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting...my results have changed only slightly over the years. I am now much less a thinker and much MORE a judger. Interesting...I am NOW:

ISTJ

The Portait of the Inspector (ISTJ)

Inspector Guardians look carefully and thoroughly at the people and institutions around them. Making up perhaps as much as ten percent of the general population, Inspectors are characterized by decisiveness in practical affairs, are the guardians of institutions, and if only one adjective could be selected, "superdependable" would best describe them. Whether at home or at work, Inspectors are nothing if not dependable, particularly when it comes to examining the people and products they are responsible for-quietly seeing to it that uniform quality is maintained, and that those around them uphold certain standards of attitude and conduct.

These quiet, no-nonsense Guardians have a distaste for and distrust of fanciness in speech, dress, and living space. Their words tend to be simple and down-to-earth, not showy or high-flown; their clothes are often homespun and conservative rather than of the latest fashion; and their home and work environments are usually neat, orderly, and traditional, rather than up-to-date or luxurious. In their choice of personal property (cars, furnishings, jewelry, and so on) price and durability are just as important as comfort or appearance. Classics, antiques, and heirlooms are especially valued, having achieved a certain time-honored status-Inspectors prefer the old-fashioned to the newfangled every time. Even on vacation, Inspectors tend not to be attracted by exotic foods, beverages, or locales.

Their thoroughness and orderliness, combined with their interest in legality and standardization, leads Inspectors to a number of occupations that call for the careful administration of goods and services. Inspectors feel right at home with difficult, detailed forms and columns of figures, and thus they make excellent bank examiners, auditors, accountants, and tax attorneys. Managing investments in securities is likely to interest this type, particularly investments in municipal bonds and blue-chip securities. Inspectors are not likely to take chances either with their own or others' money, and the thought of a bankrupt nation, state, institution, or family gives them more than a little uneasiness. The idea of dishonoring a contract also bothers an Inspector -their word is their bond-and they naturally communicate a message of trustworthiness and stability, which can make them successful in business. With their eye for detail, Inspectors make good business men and women, librarians, dentists, optometrists, legal secretaries, and law researchers. High school and college teachers of business administration, home economics, physical education, civics, and history tend to be Inspectors, as do quartermaster officers in the military.

Queen Elizabeth II, Harry S. Truman, Warren Buffet, Queen Victoria, James K. Polk, and J.D. Rockefeller are examples of Inspector Guardians.

Yup, that's me, pretty much!

I love cats AND dogs, in fact, I am fortunate to be considered a "pack member" in more than one dog's life, but until I am retired I could never own a dog - too much responsibility.

I raised birds for over 30 years, but am now owned by 3 (soon to be 4) cats.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Portait of the Mastermind (INTJ)
Of the four aspects of strategic analysis and definition, it is the contingency planning or entailment organizing role that reaches the highest development in Masterminds. Entailing or contingency planning is not an informative activity, rather it is a directive one in which the planner tells others what to do and in what order to do it. As the organizing capabilities the Masterminds increase so does their inclination to take charge of whatever is going on.
It is in their abilities that Masterminds differ from the other Rationals, while in most of their attitudes they are just like the others. However there is one attitude that sets them apart from other Rationals: they tend to be much more self-confident than the rest, having, for obscure reasons, developed a very strong will. They are rather rare, comprising no more than, say, one percent of the population. Being very judicious, decisions come naturally to them; indeed, they can hardly rest until they have things settled, decided, and set. They are the people who are able to formulate coherent and comprehensive contingency plans, hence contingency organizers or "entailers."
Masterminds will adopt ideas only if they are useful, which is to say if they work efficiently toward accomplishing the Mastermind's well-defined goals. Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once in charge, however, Masterminds are the supreme pragmatists, seeing reality as a crucible for refining their strategies for goal-directed action. In a sense, Masterminds approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or adversity. To the Mastermind, organizational structure and operational procedures are never arbitrary, never set in concrete, but are quite malleable and can be changed, improved, streamlined. In their drive for efficient action, Masterminds are the most open-minded of all the types. No idea is too far-fetched to be entertained-if it is useful. Masterminds are natural brainstormers, always open to new concepts and, in fact, aggressively seeking them. They are also alert to the consequences of applying new ideas or positions. Theories which cannot be made to work are quickly discarded by the Masterminds. On the other hand, Masterminds can be quite ruthless in implementing effective ideas, seldom counting personal cost in terms of time and energy.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, General Ulysses S. Grant, Frideriche Nietsche, Niels Bohr, Peter the Great, Stephen Hawking, John Maynard Keynes, Lise Meitner", Ayn Rand and Sir Isaac Newton are examples of Rational Masterminds.

I am a cat lover, 31 years of age and have always had cats.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am INFJ; Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging

Very expressed introvert 78%
Slightly expressed intuitive personality 12%
Distinctively expressed feeling personality 62%
Slightly expressed judging personality 11%

I am a 25 year old female and I like dogs, but prefer cats first.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am INTP. I did this test a few years ago at work and I think I got something similar (I was definitely I and T but I don't remember the other 2). I remember then the description of the personality was spot on.

I don't know what this says about my personality, but for a lot of the questions I found myself wanting a 'sometimes' option!!

I'm female, a cat lover (don't mind dogs but definitely prefer cats) and I'm 42.

btw - where are the descriptions of each of the 16 personality types? I can't seem to find them on the site? If I could read those I think I'd recognise the one I got last time to see if it's the same as I got this time.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1) I'm an ISTJ

very expressed introvert 89%

slightly expressed sensing personality 12%

distinctively expressed thinking personality 75%

moderately expressed judging personality 44%

2) Cats

3) 29 year old female

that was very interesting

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've taken the Myers-Briggs several times, so i already know my type...
1) Take test and post your result... INTJ

2) Your preference: Cat

3) Age and sex would be nice - female, 49

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
INFJ. I've taken Myers-Briggs umpteen times, and always previously come up INFP, but many people don't believe I'm not a "J", simply because I can and do perform as a "J" in many areas of my life. It's never been strongly expressed in either direction.

Cats. I grew up with dogs, am still somewhat besotted with them, and may have one at some later date, but where I'm perfectly happy enjoying other people's dogs, I cannot imagine being without at least one cat in my own life.

60 year old female.

Good luck with your survey.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am INTP - a 'Rational Architect'. I took this test yerears ago and I have become much more introverted over the years and less willing to take control of others. Interesting!

'INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.

Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.

INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.

A major concern for INTPs is the haunting sense of impending failure. They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves. The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data. An INTP arguing a point may very well be trying to convince himself as much as his opposition.

I am 63, female, and prefer cats, though I also love and own horses.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
[size=+1] [size=+2]1)INTJ[/size][/size]Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging [size=-0]Strength of the preferences %[/size] 78 38 62 56

[size=+1]Qualitative analysis of your type formula[/size] You are:
  • very expressed introvert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • distinctively expressed thinking personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality
2) Neutral, I suppose. I've had more dogs than cats in my life, but just love animals, period. I basically grew up in a "zoo", along with pet rodents, reptiles, horses/donkeys, insects, birds, etc., etc.. The only reason we have a sole cat is that our irregular work schedules don't allow us to have a dog, and our cat only tolerates dogs as "competition" for our affections.
3) Female, age 50.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fascinating exercise, thanks for asking us to participate! Here's me...

1. INFP

Introverted: 33%
• moderately expressed introvert

Intuitive\t: 88%
• very expressed intuitive personality

Feeling: 38%
• moderately expressed feeling personality

Perceiving: 11%
• slightly expressed perceiving personality

2. Neutral -- I love both cats and dogs, but I only have cats. This is where I fear your study might get skewed, because some of us may have only cats not because we like dogs less, but because our lifestyle or living situation doesn't lend itself to having a dog. I'd have both if I could!

3. I'm female and 51.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

2. Neutral -- I love both cats and dogs, but I only have cats. This is where I fear your study might get skewed, because some of us may have only cats not because we like dogs less, but because our lifestyle or living situation doesn't lend itself to having a dog. I'd have both if I could!
My thoughts exactly! As soon as I retire, I'm going to have both again, and a few rodents in addition.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENFP (from the full test a few years back) - I like cats lots more than dogs, although some dogs are cute & I don't hate any animal...female, age 55. I'll be surprised if there is any correlation; as you mention cats in your childhood, I think most of us came to like pets by having them around when we were growing up. I'd be interested in your results!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

INFJ. I've taken Myers-Briggs umpteen times, and always previously come up INFP, but many people don't believe I'm not a "J", simply because I can and do perform as a "J" in many areas of my life. It's never been strongly expressed in either direction.
I get the same thing. I'm actually a strong "P", but my job requires that I be very organized, so most people don't believe it.