Litterbox Alternatives....

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're having an ongoing problem with Sonic - we use ordinary low-sided open topped litter trays and he keeps facing the wrong way when he's in them, hanging his bum over the edge, and pooing on the floor. This morning was very frustrating, I woke up to a pile of poop beside the bedroom litterbox which must have been from during the night, and went into the sitting room to find him perched on the edge of the tray in there faced the wrong way and making a deposit on the carpet in there too!

I could deal with it but Sonic has a sensitive tummy and every so often gets the runs, and this morning was one of those occassions. This usually is only one stool affected then back to normal, about once every few weeks, so not a major health concern, just trying to work out at the moment which food is causing it - but it is fairly horrible to clean up! I was at the end of my tether this morning as you can imagine and was late for work!

Now as some of you may recall, we've had struggles in the past to get him to use litter trays AT ALL, so I'm reluctant to do a quick switch to covered boxes, as if he's at least peeing in the trays it's better than nothing. I was wondering whether anyone had any success using deep-sided plastic storage boxes, I thought I might try one of those to see if he uses it. Are they easy enough to scoop and clean?

If that doesn't work I'm just going to have to have put down vinyl flooring throughout

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the deep sided plastic storage container boxes (Rubbermaid ones). I get them for about $4.00 a piece at any local department store & they are wonderful! My boys are litter flickers - so the high sides work really well & I think give them a bit of privacy as well

They are easy to clean & wash out too!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

We use the deep sided plastic storage container boxes (Rubbermaid ones). I get them for about $4.00 a piece at any local department store & they are wonderful! My boys are litter flickers - so the high sides work really well & I think give them a bit of privacy as well

They are easy to clean & wash out too!
That's what we do. I cut an entry way into the front and viola! It's a $4 litter box.

Nabu stands up to pee, so low sided boxes are not an option around here.
He even managed to pee through the vents on those Tidy Cats covered litter boxes.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

That's what we do. I cut an entry way into the front and viola! It's a $4 litter box.

Nabu stands up to pee, so low sided boxes are not an option around here.
He even managed to pee through the vents on those Tidy Cats covered litter boxes.
I don't even cut the sides for an entry way- my boys hop right in!

They like to play in the litter box, so if they have to make an effort to get in there, they don't play around!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We currently have a very deep pan (one with the enclosed top but took off the top). That works pretty well, but you should be able to use a large plastic storage pan. Maybe also pick up a small step stool to put at the end so they can get in there more easy.

Since Sonic came from a breeder - what was she using in the house and why doesn't he like litter pans?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take a two pronged approach...get a higher walled litterbox (so it's harder to perch on the edge) and put a mat underneath the box so if someone's thinking "outside of the box" it will be on a surface you can pick up and wash.

I have rubberized doormats that go under our boxes, they are soft on the kitties feet and they catch most of the litter too (not to mention any "misses")...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Since Sonic came from a breeder - what was she using in the house and why doesn't he like litter pans?
She used open trays like ours, he used them fine at hers and initially at ours, he did come to us toilet trained honest! - I think the situation with his past problem was that he's an extremely bossy and territorial creature and it was a marking issue, it got better as he got settled in more with Radar and more accepting of him, and then the inappropriate weeing stopped with a bit of encouragement and gentle retraining by us once he was neutered and his hormones settled.

He's now going to the tray ok mostly, but just occassionally faces the wrong way, I'm going to try introducing some different litter as well as a high-sided tray, it seems to me that he's balancing on the edge to avoid stepping in the litter and sometimes missing the mark, so I'm hoping a combination of softer litter and higher sides will help! I'll try replacing one of the 3 trays first and see if he uses it ok before doing a complete switch.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We use the deep sided plastic storage container boxes
We use storage containers too, 60Lt crates.

I didn't cut down the sides either, they are about 30cm high and my little 16 week old girl can get in and out just fine

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They like to play in the litter box, so if they have to make an effort to get in there, they don't play around!
Originally Posted by missymotus

I didn't cut down the sides either, they are about 30cm high and my little 16 week old girl can get in and out just fine
2 of my boys are 10 1/2 yrs old and a smidge arthritic (nothing major, but they prefer steps to hopping a huge distance now). I never tried leaving the sides. I just figured they wouldn't use it without a door.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about this tray?

It's from Purrsonal Touch

http://www.purrsonaltouch.com/fslibrary2a2.htm

They come in 2 sizes - large and jumbo. I saw them at a cat show once and they looked pretty good. Might be a good transition to a covered box as it sounds like that would be best if he will use a covered one.

Have you tried putting some plastic carpet protector under the tray?

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a few clevercats, on one I cut part of the top off because one of my cats doesn't like a covered box. I don't get much tracking with either box and it's simple to clean.