Enzo and Kitty, the rat

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember if I posted this picture awhile back, but it's just so cute and funny I had to post it again.

I opened Kitty's cage so she would come out and play with the cats. Apparently she was taking too long for Enzo so he went in and told her she needed to get out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha, yeah, they are good friends, and kitty was out for 3 hours when no one was home...... Enzo let her out! She was alive and snuggled up in our bed when we got home!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh shoot!!!!! I moved my pictures around on photobucket, here's the one picture and I added the second one for fun.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Do they really hang out together? That's so cool!
Yeah! They really do! All three of our cats enjoy Kitty, and Kitty just adores the cats.
I don't think she remembers that she is a rat! She will groom them for hours if they let her.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww that is so cute! Your rattie is adorable, blue is my favorite color. I'm getting a blue rat soon

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Awww that is so cute! Your rattie is adorable, blue is my favorite color. I'm getting a blue rat soon
Good job you knew she was a blue!!!!! She's really cool, I keep thinking about getting a male blue and breeding them

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to breed rex rats and pointed rats, and I eventually got some solid blue rexes and some blue pointed rexes.
Rat breeding is awesome, I wish I still had the room for it.

I honestly don't recall ever seeing a blue hooded before, she's lovely!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I used to breed rex rats and pointed rats, and I eventually got some solid blue rexes and some blue pointed rexes.
Rat breeding is awesome, I wish I still had the room for it.

I honestly don't recall ever seeing a blue hooded before, she's lovely!
That's cool that you used to bred them! I didn't realize there weren't many blue hooded rats. No wonder I haven't been able to find blue hooded male, let alone another blue hooded female!!!!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Good job you knew she was a blue!!!!! She's really cool, I keep thinking about getting a male blue and breeding them
If she isn't a breeder rat please don't... there's so many bad things in the genetics of petstore rats, especially blues, and there's many rats out there that need good homes.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, unless she's a year old or younger, I wouldn't breed her.
But, if you are interested in rat breeding, I'd suggest you find a rattery that breeds show quality rats, or (alot harder to do) see if you can find a rat show to attend.
There are colors and coat types and color patterns out there that you will never see in any petshop.

I did not breed for showing though, I bred healthy, well socialized, fancy rats as pets.
I also bred spiny mice and long haired mice,
I was friends with the owner of a petstore in those days, so I know my babies did not get sold as snake food

He bought mass farmed rats and mice to sell for that.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Well, unless she's a year old or younger, I wouldn't breed her.
But, if you are interested in rat breeding, I'd suggest you find a rattery that breeds show quality rats, or (alot harder to do) see if you can find a rat show to attend.
There are colors and coat types and color patterns out there that you will never see in any petshop.

I did not breed for showing though, I bred healthy, well socialized, fancy rats as pets.
I also bred spiny mice and long haired mice,
I was friends with the owner of a petstore in those days, so I know my babies did not get sold as snake food

He bought mass farmed rats and mice to sell for that.
She's a little over 2 years old by now. There is a rattery lady near me and she only breeds when she has people that want a rat from her, which is what I would do. She only sells dumbo brown rexes.

Supposedly my blue was from a rattery but it was closed down or something, and she was given to the pet store. They made me fill out a bunch of papers and she wasn't cheap.

I would love to find a rat show and get involved, go see it, whatever. I really want to breed kitty because I love her so much and I know rats don't live that long. I would really like to have a baby of her's for a pet after she is gone.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

She's a little over 2 years old by now. There is a rattery lady near me and she only breeds when she has people that want a rat from her, which is what I would do. She only sells dumbo brown rexes.

Supposedly my blue was from a rattery but it was closed down or something, and she was given to the pet store. They made me fill out a bunch of papers and she wasn't cheap.

I would love to find a rat show and get involved, go see it, whatever. I really want to breed kitty because I love her so much and I know rats don't live that long. I would really like to have a baby of her's for a pet after she is gone.
2 years old is really, really pushing it. She's heading into her twilight years, in rat terms. Some ratties may even hit a 'rat menopause' of sorts. A pregnancy now could be very dangerous for her and the babies (think of the dangers of late pregnancies in humans). Plus you have no guarantee the babies would turn out anything like her, since you don't really know where she's from.

I'd try the rat show and see if you can find a lovely breeder who could possibly have your next baby there.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, two years is too old for breeding...that is like a senior citizen...

It's funny though I've been seeing a lot of blue hooded rats at Petsmart lately, for some reason. It seems like every time I go to one of those stores they have one.

I talked to the breeder who has the blue female rat I want to get and she has a litter of "siamese" too so I might be getting one blue and one pointed (not sure what color point.)