I think I have that hair pulling disorder

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading about it just now and it sounds like what I do. I pull out my eyelashes, eyebrow hairs and sometime nose hairs. It's not so bad that I yank out every single hair but it's still weird. It's like a compulsion and I have to do it. Especially if the hair look out of place or something. I even try to pluck DH's eyebrow hairs. He hates it. Now you guys probably think I'm strange.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the same sort of issue for 13 years, I pulled out all my eyelashes compulsively and I still will do it if I get super stressed. I just blamed it on OCD

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, sounds like OCD (my former husband had it). Prozac worked great with him...unless you like that plucked look - but please, no plucking the cats!!

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's okay; you're not strange. It's called trichotillomania. I have it, too, and I've had it since I was 11. It is a compulsion, and it is related to OCD, and can sometimes be controlled through medications used to treat OCD.

I pull from my scalp, which really sucks. I understand the panic and fear of the possibility of people noticing. If you would like to talk, feel free to PM me.

Tricia

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its strange that you bring this. I worry right now that my son my have developed this condition (and OCD runs in the family). About a week before school started he plucked 2 large patches of hair out of his scalp. He said he had a knot and instead of brushing it out he plucked that hair and surrounding hair out. Now some 10-12 later some of those spots have not grown back in and in fact now some other spots are thinning out. He says he is on longer pulling it out but right now I am not sure if its that or something else like aloipecia(sp).

We just got him insurance (just gotta pay the premium) and get him into the doctor and see whats up.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

It's okay; you're not strange. It's called trichotillomania. I have it, too, and I've had it since I was 11. It is a compulsion, and it is related to OCD, and can sometimes be controlled through medications used to treat OCD.

I pull from my scalp, which really sucks. I understand the panic and fear of the possibility of people noticing.
I pull from behind my ears

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow, I never knew there was a technical name for it
I've managed to stop for the most part, but like I said, when I'm stressed I start to do it again...like now
but I'm amazed that they still grow back at all after all this time