Buddy won't eat - food recommendations?

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sweetheart Buddy is having problems, and I'm trying to hold it together. Last wednesday I brought him in. The doctor gave him 300cc's of sub-q fluids and clindamycin. He said Bud had a sore throat, his lungs sounded "rough", and his tonsils were inflamed. He has had respiratory troubles all summer, he has a stricture behind his li'l nosey. But he had never stopped eating till last week.

Thursday and Friday he drank 2/3 to 3/4 cup of "tuna-water soup" each day, and a bit of wet food. He was also given 3 1" ribbons of Nutrical each day. Then Saturday afternoon he stopped eating again. Tuna wouldn't even entice him.

Emergency vet call yesterday, different vet, but gave him 150 cc's of sub-q fluids, changed the antibiotic to clavamox, and gave me a prednisone step-down treatment. From my understanding the steroid should help with pain. I do not understand this treatment and what exactly it is for, but the doctor answered plainly that he did not expect there were underlying problems, unless things got worse in the next few days, in which case blood testing and radiographs would be necessary.

Buddy has had a tough year. He is 11 now, and in January I took him in to the animal hospital for ultrasound, rhinoscopy and x-rays. His pancreas showed scars from a past bout of pancreatitis. His spleen was "odd" and they did needle biopsies and thankfully did not find any cancer. The rhinoscopy revealed he had a stenosis (stricture) in the bones behind his nose. He's been a noisy kitty all his life, and also one who threw up a lot. My ignorant vet never thought this was a problem. This is the vet involved in the death of Buddy's big sister, the love of my life. Anyway, he had a ketamine reaction and nearly died. A new kitten came to live with us last September and the assumption is that she brought in a herpes virus or something that slipped past Buddy's up-to-date vaccinations. He had a terrible cold, which is what brought about the events in this paragraph... but back on topic-

Yesterday his lungs were clear, his throat was better, and tonsils were fine. However as the vet thoroughly checked Buddy's mouth he found a small sore on the roof of his mouth, toward the rear. This would make it painful for him to use his tongue. A knowledgeable friend said he may not want his tuna water now because he associates it with the pain of his throat, and that I need to find a variety of foods so he will keep eating. I'm not supposed to give him Nutrical unless he is drinking (something about kidney damage, I believe). He has not drank any water in over a week, only what's put on his food.

I cut up a small piece of steak very finely last night and heated it with water to create "au jus" and he licked it rather eagerly. I actually put water on it twice more. At 2 a.m. he ate a tsp or so of a watered down canned beef food, and again at 9:30 or so - about 3 tsp. I tried chicken & liver before and that he wasn't very eager to eat, took a few licks and changed his mind.

I have a list of things to get at the store: deli meat, chicken breast, steak or hamburger, cottage cheese, kitten milk, some cheap "gourmet" food... does anyone have any other advice or foods they have found that work. I don't have any idea what other "beverages" he might drink. I hope his canker sore goes away soon. he's lost 1.5 pounds in about a month.

I'm trying very hard to hold it together, but it's hard.
22 months ago I lost his big sister from an incompetent vet doing a routine test. I must admit that I am far from over it. She and Buddy were my life, we lived alone together for 9 years. I just can't lose my little boy.

Thank you for any help.

Gina

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Raven has cancer and will randomly go off his food if he's feeling poorly. Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys have been a favorite of his lately. He really likes Salmon Florentine and White Meat Chicken Florentine. Pro Plan fish in aspic got him eating during that time. And my hubby found Petgold Tuna (gold and black can) at Petco that Raven also ate while not feeling good. Also the Fancy Feast Gourmet Salmon and Salmon & Shrimp pate's have been popular with my cats. And I use Bonito Tuna Flakes (Kitty Kaviar) to sprinkle on his food if he's being picky. It works most every time.

I can also recommend Kentucky Fried Chicken and those roasted chickens in the deli section.

When he was really bad off in August I bought a few 1 lb bags of really cheap kibble to get him eating again. Whiskas, Friskies and Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold (He liked the FF kibble the best). It worked, so I was happy.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba worked on my sick cat who wouldn't eat. And is a favorite in my house as just a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you so much. I'm scared. I know he's at least eating, but I'm still scared. I want to see him chow down and lap up water. I hope it doesn't take too long. I'm going to the store now and pick up some of these foods you guys mention. I am feeding him pet gold beef in the red can right now and getting decent results. I never thought of the roast chickens! I was going to buy some skin-on breasts and bake them in foil and take the skin off. I think I'll buy a rotisserie chicken at the store, that way I can eat it too, and take the skin off before I give some to Bud. He won't even look at kibble right now. I'm not sure if he can't smell it or if it has to do with his sore mouth. or because i push wet food at him every hour or two : ) I just tried soft-boiled egg yolk. He turned around and put his butt to it. that's my boy ....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Jordan's not feeling good, Fancy Feast as Raven mentioned. Right now Jordan likes the poultry flavors, but usually a sick cat is more likely to eat fish flavors because they have a stronger smell. As far as dry food right now all he will eat is Dr.s Foster & Smith hair ball remedy (I'm thankful that he at least likes a healthy dry food). When he's been sick he's also eaten chicken baby food (#2 with no onions). The nice thing about baby food is that it's easy to water down & force feed if needed.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

My Raven has cancer and will randomly go off his food if he's feeling poorly. Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys have been a favorite of his lately. He really likes Salmon Florentine and White Meat Chicken Florentine. And I use Bonito Tuna Flakes (Kitty Kaviar) to sprinkle on his food if he's being picky. It works most every time.
Bea loves the medleys too and will also be enticed to eat if you sprinkle kitty caviar... she's so finicky...

I really hope your baby comes through this all okay...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He liked the chicken florentine last night, but then threw it up with the most horrible sounding coughs about 2 hours later, all pretty dry chicken (and the green things). I will try again, mushing it more. He doesn't like the chunks. I made another appt with the vet.

I'm starting to lose my composure, trying to hang on. He didn't want the chicken broth I made for him this morning. He sniffed it, held his face over it, but wouldn't take a lick.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ginamarina

He liked the chicken florentine last night, but then threw it up with the most horrible sounding coughs about 2 hours later, all pretty dry chicken (and the green things). I will try again, mushing it more. He doesn't like the chunks. I made another appt with the vet.

I'm starting to lose my composure, trying to hang on. He didn't want the chicken broth I made for him this morning. He sniffed it, held his face over it, but wouldn't take a lick.
that he feels better soon. Maybe the turkey florentine would sit better with him? There is a Fancy Feast called "Marinated Morsels" which is tiny pieces in gravy. Raven liked the chicken version of that.

Raven doesn't like baby food or chicken broth either. You could also try Kentucky Fried Chicken. I've discovered Raven prefers dark meat, when I give him roast or KFC chicken. He and I both like Original Recipe.