Warning Chirp in the basement...?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was awoken in the middle of the night by a chirp coming from the laundry room. (Where the furnace/hot water heater..etc..is).

It is coming from in there, and it looks like there is a red light flashing on the hot water heater..not sure if that is supposed to be flashing or not..

Anyway, I am a little concerned. Its obviously a warning chirp of some kind..and I really hope it isn't the carbon monoxide detector that is chirping. I would say it chirps every 30 seconds or so.

Its not the smoke detector..

Any Idea what this could be?
I'm nervous to leave Trout here all day.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
definitely time to get that checked out professionally, I'd say, hun.
It would almost be better for it to be the smoke alarm, at least then you'd know precisely what it was! Is it possible that there's something too hot down there? Too cold? A blockage or lack of something vital?

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My carbon monoxide detector will chirp about that often when the batteries need to be replaced. If you have on id start there and check that.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

My carbon monoxide detector will chirp about that often when the batteries need to be replaced. If you have on id start there and check that.
they will send out an annoying chirp, but nothing like an actual alarm, if they need to have the battery checked. I would try that first, if it's really MO, then I would expect it will continue to go off after the battery change.

Here's some that it's the battery.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Ours did the other night. If the alarm chirps every 30 seconds then the batteries need to be replaced.

We just ripped our batteries out and never put them back in.
well, it's in a terrible location anyways...upstairs about 3 feet off the floor.

In order to detect it early a CO monitor needs to low to the ground.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be your fire detector as well. Ours does a warning chirp when it's batteries are low.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

In order to detect it early a CO monitor needs to low to the ground.
That isn't true. I live on a second floor, and my CO detector is mounted on the wall near the ceiling, a spot approved by the fire marshall.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, and does NOT simply stay low to the ground, it mixes with all the air in the room.

I agree that it sounds like a battery needs replacing.
If it were an alarm, you'd be deaf already.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That isn't true. I live on a second floor, and my CO detector is mounted on the wall near the ceiling, a spot approved by the fire marshall.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, and does NOT simply stay low to the ground, it mixes with all the air in the room.

I agree that it sounds like a battery needs replacing.
If it were an alarm, you'd be deaf already.
Really?! The laser engineers lied to me!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alrighty, well you were right about the CO detector needing batteries..I crept in to get it and sure enough it was chirping.

I changed the batteries and voila! It stopped!

Thanks guys!