Easy pie receipes?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been "volunteered" by DH to make 2 pies for next weekend for the volunteer fire dept dinner. I don't mind doing it at all, but the problem is the only kind of pie I have ever made is pumpkin (which they said so many people are already making pumpkin they want something else) or pudding pies. I need something that tastes like I spent hours on in, but which will really take me a short amount of time. Now, keep in mind that these people are country folk and the women pride themselves in their baking and cooking talents, so I can't just go to the market and buy already made pies (mainly because they gave me the 2 pie plates to bake them in).

So, does anybody know any easy receipes that they would like to share??

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Easier than possible, and ooooooo so good...

Pecan Pie

1 9" pie shell
1 1/3 cup pecans, toasted (7-8 minutes @ 350F)
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar (I prefer Demerara)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

While pecans are toasting, beat eggs, add sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla, stirring after each addition. Place pecans in bottom of pie shell, and pour filling mixture over them. Pecans will rise to the top. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Serve at room temperature or chilled, alone or with whipped cream or ice cream.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is super easy and really good
:

STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE PIE\t
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 container of Cool Whip
1 pkg strawberry Jello
graham cracker crust

Dissolve Jello with 1/2 cup boiling water, add cream cheese and mix with mixer until fully blended. Fold in Cool Whip until mixture is fully mixed. Pour into graham cracker crust and refrigerate until set.

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why limit yourself to sweet pies...

Quiche is soooooo easy to make and it's great cold!

Quick Ham Quiche

1 package of Crescent rolls (8 count)
3/4 cup of cubed Monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup of cubed Mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup of cubed/left over ham, cooked
2 Eggs
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Using 5 crescent rolls line the bottom and sides of a glass pie pan. Press and stretch to fill gaps. Fill lined pie pan with cheese cubes and ham. Beat together eggs and parmesan cheese, pour over ham and cheese cubes. Using the remaining 3 crescent rolls, make 4 strips and arrange a lattice work over filled pie pan and tuck ends under to seal. Bake at 350ºF. for 45 minutes or until the center is set.

Spinach & Sausage Quiche 4

1 pound of frozen sausage
One 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, chopped
6 eggs
A dash of Accent
A dash of garlic powder
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
One 16 ounce package of shredded Cheddar cheese
1 stick of margarine, melted
1 ready made pie crust (you can get these ready made in the frozen section... already in tin pie pan!)

Brown sausage and scramble. Drain the sausage and then melt the margarine in the same pan. Cook spinach as directed and drain well. Mix sausage and spinach with eggs and cheese. Pour into the pie crust. Bake at 350ºF. for 1 hour. Let cool 15 minutes before cutting.

I got these from off the web, but I always just use like 6 eggs, 1/2 cup cream or milk as the quiche base and add whatever I like. I like to use sausage, onion and cheese... but you can use anything you like and it is fantastic cold. I always always use the frozen pie crusts. They come in deep dish or regular. The deep dish is great for quiches because you can put lots of yummy things in for the filling. Spinach is great in quiches too... it's a great way to get my hubby to eat spinach! Mushrooms I find give off a bit too much water but if you saute them good... most of the water comes out.

Good Luck!!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Butterfinger Pie
4 lg Butterfinger candy bars
1 lg Cool Whip (tub)
1 sq. Cream Cheese
1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Set cream cheese aside and let it get soft. Crush the butterfingers. Also,
let the cool whip thaw. In a bowl, put the cream cheese, and 1/2 of the tub of the cool whip. start folding together, add most of the crushed butterfingers(save just enough to sprinkle on the top of the pie, last) and then add mixture to the pie crust, spread evenly. Then take the rest of the cool whip,
spread that evenly over the top, then take the rest of the butterfingers and sprinkle over the top, put in the refrigerator.

It will look like you went out and bought it! Make 2 of them, it is so easy and sooooo good!!
Good Luck!!
Monique

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pecan pie is SURE to please your friends, and if you can get a good apple or peach recipe off that website, you've got it made! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, these all sound SOOOO good!! I'm not sure what I'm going to go with yet.

Helly, that ham quiche sounds incredible. These pie do have to be for dessert, but that sounds like a great breakfast. In fact, that is something I can get ready at night (when I'm still awake), and just have to pop in the oven on a weekend morning while the coffee is getting done! I LOVE things like that.

I know my hubby would LOVE that Butterfinger pie, but he may not let me take that to the dinner. He would want that all to himself.

The Strawberry CreamCheese and the Pecan pie sound delicious..decisions, decisions....

Keep them coming!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yogurt Pie (yes, better than it sounds!)

You can vary this so much, here is my favorite version.

Buy 1 chocolate graham cracker crust - already made in the pie tin, with a plastic lid you can use to cover the pie.

Mix 1- 8 oz. container of a good quality, full fat raspberry yogurt - the kind with real fruit in it
with 1- small container Cool Whip.

Spoon into graham cracker shell, chill for several hours.

Before serving, shave (can use a vegetable peeler) some chocolate (buy a good, plain hershey's bar for example - let warm up/soften slightly) so you have chocolate curls around the edge and some placed across the top, and place fresh raspberries (if you can find some) around the edge of the pie in between the chocolate curls.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

OMG, these all sound SOOOO good!! I'm not sure what I'm going to go with yet.

Helly, that ham quiche sounds incredible. These pie do have to be for dessert, but that sounds like a great breakfast. In fact, that is something I can get ready at night (when I'm still awake), and just have to pop in the oven on a weekend morning while the coffee is getting done! I LOVE things like that.

I know my hubby would LOVE that Butterfinger pie, but he may not let me take that to the dinner. He would want that all to himself.

The Strawberry CreamCheese and the Pecan pie sound delicious..decisions, decisions....

Keep them coming!
That's funny, that is why I say make 2, I know what you mean, when my husband was alive. the last time I made it for him, it looked so professional, ( I had used my knife to doodle in the cool whip, and sprinkling those butterfinger crumbs on top) He came home from work and looked in the refrigerator, pulled it out, and started eating it, while we were talking, after a bit he looked at me and said, "Where did you get this pie?" and I said. " I made it!" and he said, "Naw, you didn't make this, where did you buy it?" I said, "Why?" he said, "It's so good and it is pretty" (he was the type that loved to give ya a hard time)
and I said, "What don't you think I can do that?" He was impressed! That made me feel good! but I wanted to ring his lil' neck for all the kiddin around!

Monique

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a chocolate cream pie? Get a pre-made frozen pie crust - my favorite is Ordione Farms Deep Dish and use dark chocolate pudding for a filling. Refrigerate and provide whipped cream for the topping. Easy, quick and delicious!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, go get one of those frozen pie shells and bake it. Then get one of those cans of pie filling (cherry, blueberry, lemmon...) whatever you like and pour it into cooked pie shell.

Vola! PIE!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a pie from the store

My mom is not a baker and she makes Key Lime Pie anytime she needs to make a dessert. It's really easy, but I don't know the recipe off hand. It's pretty much, cool whip, lime peal, frozen pie crust, and a jellow pudding box mis? I think that's all. I believe the recipe is on the back of one of the jellow boxes to be honest.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's another for you. I knew I had written it out some time ago. Just had to find it. It looks a lot more complicated than it is, and is worth every bit of effort.

Apple Pie

You need pastry for a double-crust pie of whatever size you want to do. By all means use your own recipe, if you have one you're comfortable with, or try this. It's unconventional, but it works! Makes enough for two 10-inch double crust pies...

1/2 lb shortening
1/4 cup butter
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold water

Soften fats and cream together. Sift flour and salt together on top of fat, and cream it in. It gets a bit heavy to handle, but just work the flour into the fat. Then pour the water over the mixture and stir it in. It gets quite sticky, but will soon pull away from the sides of the bowl and make a rough ball. Use your hands to tidy the ball, then put the bowl in the fridge while you prepare your apples...

Use apples of your choice, any good cooking apple is fine, but my very strong preference is for Spartans. They're nice and crisp, but not tough, quite juicy, but don't wilt as long as they're not cut too thin, and sweet/tart.

Peel and core apples and slice them about 1/2 inch thick or so - not thinner. Let your empty pie plate be your guide as to how many to do. Just mound 'em up in the pie plate until you have a nice mountain, not quite twice the depth of the dish in the middle. I use a 10-inch dish and it takes anywhere from 6-10 apples, depending on the size.

When your apples are done, take the pastry dough out of the fridge. Feel it. It should be firm and not sticky anymore, but not hard and not dry. If it's too hard and dry, just leave it on the counter for a few minutes and do something else until it's feeling more friendly. Turn oven on to 400F

When you're ready to roll, you need whatever good clean rolling surface you like and plenty of flour for rolling. Cut a hunk of dough - one quarter of the above recipe, and roll out turning often, until it is slightly larger than the pie plate and not too thin. Fold in quarters and lift gently into the pie plate. Unfold.

Take one piece of apple and eat it. You're checking for sweetness and juiciness. Sprinkle inside of bottom crust with about a tablespoon or so of flour, more if the apples are very juicy. Arrange cut apples in dish. Sprinkle with your choice of spices: cinnamon and ginger are our pets, generous with both. Sprinkle spiced apples with brown sugar. Any brown sugar is fine, but demerara is best: about 1/3 cup, give or take, depending on sweetness of apples and how sweet you like your pie. Dot the sugar with butter: gobs about the size of your baby finger nail, about an inch apart. It will take about 1/3 cup, again give or take. This is an art, not a science!

Then roll another crust as you did the first, fold it, transfer to the full plate and unfold. Trim edges roughly, and then crimp together however you like, and trim again if necessary for appearance. Prick top crust in a pretty pattern (or snip a pattern with scissors if you prefer), brush gently with a little milk and sprinkle lightly with white sugar.

Bake in 400F oven, about 30 minutes or until top is golden and a little colour is showing on the bottom crust (this is, of course, assuming you're using a glass pie plate, which is recommended, for this reason). When done, remove from oven to a wire rack. Great at any temperature, but let it cool a little before you try to cut it! It does not require any garnish, but if you're into such things, the best is a hunk of extra old white cheddar. Ice cream and whipped cream also acceptable.

Happy pie making!